• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] GPS Monster Scouter [Android] - with Pokémon data pack

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
Hi everyone! Here is a project I've been working on every now and then in the past years. It's my first experiment and it's still growing.

It's a customizable monster catching&training game based on GPS for Android, a free app you can find on Google Play.
It works with any fanmade data pack containing all the data for a set group of monster, and the main one fans have spent time on is the Pokémon data pack, which is why I'm here.
It's very light and doesn't use internet connection at all (after you've downloaded a data pack), which is good news for the battery since gps alone already drains a lot.

You can find communities of players for the game on Reddit and Discord, more than 10.000 downloads, 4.2 rate on google play, and lots of users played it for hundreds of hours already, catching hundreds of monsters near their homes and sharing their stories online (which made me really happy).

Just a quick note: this game was not created as a competitor for Pokémon GO at all, since concept and development started in 2014 and way before GO announcement, and as you can see below, the mechanics are a lot different and more inspired by pokémon games and anime.
But even if I see them as different games, people like to compare them, so here are some reviews the game has received in just the last two months:
Spoiler:

Game screens
R6usCdm.png
weaX2Mj.png
6tYQuQw.png
Jb50usP.png

sudRqKr.png
JA0s8lw.png
M0Yk8j1.png
S7H4Kcv.png

6nmDVpC.png
B6v5ArX.png
bABnAnt.png
LGiemM6.png

Route photos
j4LED9Y.png
TFPuyAa.png

The basic idea is that through the game, the entire real world is composed of regions and routes, and every route is a habitat for a different family of monsters.
The common sense for most mechanics was inspired by the pokémon anime, more than the games.
Also, this is a game to be played while you're outside, in a matter of seconds. You won't find the depth of canonical pokémon games, because it would take too long to play, and because it must remain generic enough to be adaptable to non-pokémon sets.
An important keyword is, EXPLORE. This game's goal is to encourage you exploring, going around outside and discovering new places and things.

A brief summary of pokémon-like mechanics:
- Levels between 1 and 100, and level ups by battling and earning exp
- 8 gym leaders + Elite 4 + Champion to beat in each region
- Type advantages
- Different personalities
- Rare legendaries and shinies
- Walk with eggs, warm them with warm monsters, and then hatch them
- NPC Trainers that become stronger every time you beat them
- Music changes when the route changes
- Evolutions through levels, evolution items, happiness, trades
- Different forms depending on item held, hour, season, etc.
- Bluetooth trades to exchange monsters with other players
- Manageable boxes
- Nicknames
- Trainer card with your data
- TMs to be learned (though moves are always just generic typed moves)
- Gyms can be confronted in any order and the leaders use different teams depending on your current state
- Some mechanics specifically oriented toward obsessed shiny hunters :D

Here is the link to the page on google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tankenka.gms
Requires android 3.0 or higher.

Screenshots (OLD):
Spoiler:

Details on the game's mechanics (NON-UPDATED stuff here, read the in-game guide instead):
Spoiler:

I consider this a prototype anyway, and I dream of turning it into a more professional and complete game in the future, if I get to find skilled people to work with.
I really hope you have fun with it.

As I said ANY set of monsters can be made into a data pack for the game. If you want your set of fakémon, or digimon, or monster hunter monsters, or characters from fire emblem or undertale, animals, bugs, dinosaurs, you can do it, any large set of creatures is perfect for it, and I will gladly help you create it.
I think the Fakémon option is particularly interesting, because they can also be used to promote an artist work or a fangame. Also for a generic fakémon data pack, with artworks made by lots of different artists, I can add some content in the Dex screen so that the name of the author can be found, along with a link to their website/gallery.

Here's an example with some Smiley-Fakemon's designs, done in just few hours:
http://imgur.com/a/lsKtL

Ask away if you have doubts or difficulties. Thank you!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
For some reason I can't access the download page in the Play Store :/ The link in the description works fine on PC but when I try to access it with my phone I get an error message (940)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
For some reason I can't access the download page in the Play Store :/ The link in the description works fine on PC but when I try to access it with my phone I get an error message (940)

It seems the 940 error happens because it takes a bit of time to register you as a beta tester, and until it has finished, google play still see you as unauthorized.
Retry later and keep me updated :wink:

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2018
Okay, I tried my way around the game a little and I really love the idea! :) Of course, there are still some features missing (i.e. a list of the explored routes and what Pokemon you can find there or some way to connect the region grid with an actual map so that I know where to go in real life to reach certain areas). But as this game is still in development I think it will soon get more and more content.

I only have one question: What are the conditions of facing your first gym? I already have a full team of Pokemon around Level 20. Do I first have to find a gym?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
Okay, I tried my way around the game a little and I really love the idea! :) Of course, there are still some features missing (i.e. a list of the explored routes and what Pokemon you can find there or some way to connect the region grid with an actual map so that I know where to go in real life to reach certain areas). But as this game is still in development I think it will soon get more and more content.

I only have one question: What are the conditions of facing your first gym? I already have a full team of Pokemon around Level 20. Do I first have to find a gym?

Thanks! Right now I'm completing the data pack and gathering idea for other data packs, I hope to get back on developing new features soon.

Gyms can be accessed from any route, as long as you have a full team of 6, all ready.
Just press the Gym button and it'll take you to the dominating gym of the current macro area.
You can start with any gym, except the central macro area of a region, which is the final league.
You can see the 9 colored macro areas in the full region view (Z- button).

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
Update!
The Pokémon data pack is now 100% complete, all 721 pokémon.

Through the app options you can visit the webpage and download the new pack, and then also activate the new pack.
No harm for your save data. This will change the wild pokémon habitats and the gyms' squads though, to include all the new families.

Also available a new suggested selection of route songs from all the games, at the same website.

Have fun!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 25, 2016
Hey, first of all this looks like everything I've ever wanted so thank you so much for making this! Quick question, is there a FAQ for this? I don't want to accidentally ask a stupid question.

Ok, I'm having some trouble starting the game. It says I need to download a data pack but I already downloaded the pokemon one and the music for it. Are the packs supposed to be saved in certain locations? Or am I missing something? Any help appreciated thanks in advance!

I went to my app files and gave it permission to use my GPS and my storage. Noooow it works. hehe sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
Hey, first of all this looks like everything I've ever wanted so thank you so much for making this! Quick question, is there a FAQ for this? I don't want to accidentally ask a stupid question.

Hi, and thank you for trying it!

Not yet, I didn't write a faq so ask anything you need. A question is never stupid, if you don't get something it's my fault for not making it understandable enough, so that very question will help me both writing a faq and improving the app.

I'm interested in the details of the problem you had with the gps and storage access, since it's my first app and noone mentioned this problem yet.

Hope you have fun, let me know!

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
Hello.

Your app looks to be very nice !
I've not played much, but I already have a few questions.
So I've catched my first pokemon, a Skitty (*meh*).

What does the short text under the "exploration" map mean, where you see your pokemon's behaviour? For instance, "Craves for your attention". Is that a random phrase or is there something specific to do ?

Also, in the Status screen, what does the personality does ? My Skitty is "Affectionate", does it mean something particular, game-wise, or is "just" for interaction with other team members ?

And what is the "Satisfaction" for ? Does it give better result if it is high ? And how to improve that stat ?

Thanks for your work, again it looks very nice, I'll try it more deeply soon.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
Hello.

Your app looks to be very nice !
I've not played much, but I already have a few questions.
So I've catched my first pokemon, a Skitty (*meh*).

What does the short text under the "exploration" map mean, where you see your pokemon's behaviour? For instance, "Craves for your attention". Is that a random phrase or is there something specific to do ?

Also, in the Status screen, what does the personality does ? My Skitty is "Affectionate", does it mean something particular, game-wise, or is "just" for interaction with other team members ?

And what is the "Satisfaction" for ? Does it give better result if it is high ? And how to improve that stat ?

Thanks for your work, again it looks very nice, I'll try it more deeply soon.

Hi and thank you!

What you mentioned are mostly features that will have more sense in the future, as new functionalities are developed. The game is already playable and somewhat finished, but there are lots of other features I'd like to add later, and these ones serve as a foundation for future updates.

For now, personality and satisfaction are only used to visualize random interactions among your squad members, as you said, and these phrases are there just for amusement and sentimental bonding.
Satisfaction improvements depends on the personality, but most of the time it all comes down to using the monster in battle and winning with it. This system is going to be more structured once satisfaction has a greater purpose, anyway.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
Hi and thank you!

What you mentioned are mostly features that will have more sense in the future, as new functionalities are developed. The game is already playable and somewhat finished, but there are lots of other features I'd like to add later, and these ones serve as a foundation for future updates.

For now, personality and satisfaction are only used to visualize random interactions among your squad members, as you said, and these phrases are there just for amusement and sentimental bonding.
Satisfaction improvements depends on the personality, but most of the time it all comes down to using the monster in battle and winning with it. This system is going to be more structured once satisfaction has a greater purpose, anyway.

Good to know, thanks a lot for your fast reply.

So, I've been wandering around a bit, and found some pokemon (a Dratini, lucky me ! Cryogonal looks strong too), it was great !
But... I have other questions:

What are the 2 blue arrows next to your location, on the exploration screen? The direction you're walking ? (because it seems to point backwards at some points, but maybe it is a GPS thing).
How do we find new pokeball (I know you said that we should choose wisely) ? Do that kind of item appear on the map (exploration) or the radar screen ?

Also a couple of question, could you explain the mechanics of the "Eff." thing in battles ? For instance, a wild skitty (normal). My Zubat had -5 I think (very hard to train, those usual-cave-pests), so it's not only type-relative. I presume it is because of its "scarce" power ?
In the same time, a skitty had +5 against my Cryogonal (Ice), who at opposite had +10 against that same skitty, but another skitty had -10 against Solrock. So it should (I think) be a mix between type effectiveness and power ?

(And while I'm here, could you explain the mechanics for the readiness/rest after battles ? The time seems to be different for pokemon, is it level-related?).

Sorry that makes a lot of questions, maybe I could answer to some by myself with the time, but I find your game interesting, and I'm a very curious guy.

Thanks a lot for your work !

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017
Good to know, thanks a lot for your fast reply.

So, I've been wandering around a bit, and found some pokemon (a Dratini, lucky me ! Cryogonal looks strong too), it was great !
But... I have other questions:

I actually love to talk about how I made up the mechanics, so I'm happy to answer. I always try to make it short to not drive people away with my blabbering, so I never have the opportunity to explain in precise detail.

What are the 2 blue arrows next to your location, on the exploration screen? The direction you're walking ? (because it seems to point backwards at some points, but maybe it is a GPS thing).
How do we find new pokeball (I know you said that we should choose wisely) ? Do that kind of item appear on the map (exploration) or the radar screen ?

Here you answered yourself: you're the orange arrow, but follow the blue little arrows and you'll find a pokeball. For how far away it is, you'll understand hearing the 'beep' radar sound it makes when sound is enabled.
There will be other methods to obtain pokeballs in the future.

Also a couple of question, could you explain the mechanics of the "Eff." thing in battles ? For instance, a wild skitty (normal). My Zubat had -5 I think (very hard to train, those usual-cave-pests), so it's not only type-relative. I presume it is because of its "scarce" power ?
In the same time, a skitty had +5 against my Cryogonal (Ice), who at opposite had +10 against that same skitty, but another skitty had -10 against Solrock. So it should (I think) be a mix between type effectiveness and power ?

This is effectiveness, which can be a bonus or a malus. It depends both on type matching and on species power, as you said.
Zubats are weak, Cryogonals are pretty strong, and normal is not very effective against rock.
What can cause some confusion is skitty's +5: the normal type isn't strong against any type, so to avoid them being useless, normal attacks have a little bonus (except when it's less effective, eg. against rock). It's not as strong as a normal effectiveness, eg. water>fire, but it's a little bonus I gave them.
When a double type pkmn attacks, the strongest one counts. If a grass/water confronts a fire type, the battle value is calculated on the water type alone, imagining it has used a water move. When in defense instead, both types counts of course.

(And while I'm here, could you explain the mechanics for the readiness/rest after battles ? The time seems to be different for pokemon, is it level-related?).

Depends mainly on the difference in final battle values:
If my pkmn's value is 30 and the opponent's is -10, then I had a magnificent victory, and my pkmn will barely be fatigued at all. Like a walk in the park.
If they are 20 and 19, then I baaarely won, and my pkmn is going to be a bit exhausted from this really though battle he had, even though he has won in the end.
If they are 19 and 20, then I barely lost, and my pkmn will require more rest than the previous case because this time he has also been ko'ed.
If they are -10 and 30, then my opponent really wrecked my pkmn, so he'll need waaay more rest time.

Have fun!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 31, 2016
First off, this app is really well put together. I caught two of my favorites on day one! Shinx and Scatterbug are my signature pokes and I got them both! Love it!

Secondly I was wondering if Google Maps could be an alternative to the exploration field as that would create a deeper sense of adventure and make encounters more meaningful. Being able to see exactly where on the map a poke is would make the world feel more alive.

Also, I just cant seem to defeat Heracross. His lvl is between eight and eleven and my lvl ten Slugma, and everyone else for that matter, cant defeat him. That's one tough bug.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to future updates!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 27, 2016
Hey! So, I haven't played it yet but I definitely plan to, I just have a couple questions. What are you thinking in terms of social interactions in the future. I noticed in the description above it didn't mention trading or battling other players. So my question is, is this something that we can expect to see in the future? Is it just something that's just kinda up in the air? Or is it not going to happen any time soon/ not at all?

Again regardless, if all goes well I plan to play the hell outta this. Also, watch out for Nintendos lawyers. They can be aggressive.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 16, 2017

Keep up the good work! I look forward to future updates!

That's something I always considered from the first concept of course, but I had these reasons for making it that way:
- It's way easier of course, and since I work alone I needed to set modest and realistic goals. Too much, and I could have ended not completing it.
- I liked the idea of it working without being connected to internet. Apart from the initial download of the data pack, it always only uses gps signal.
- The backgrounds you see in each route is actually a placeholder. What I had in mind initially was a complex automatic combination of different tiles, way more interesting than what you see now. This feature is currently on hold but hopefully I'll finish it in the future.

Yep Heracross is really though, roughly the same power of a charizard.
Happy that you like it!

Hey! So, I haven't played it yet but I definitely plan to, I just have a couple questions.

You're right, I should talk about this in the first post.
Trading and battling between players are definitely some features I always wanted to add, and will add in the future.
I left their development on hold because I first wanted to see if there would be enough players for them to be worth my time, and also because they're not easy task.

Other brief information on what could come next:
- 'Pedometer'-like function to gain coins daily like on the 3ds
- Internal shop (paying with coins, not real money don't worry) to obtain evolutionary items, legendary items, and... eggs!
- Eggs! You walk a certain distance with them in your team and they hatch.
- Setting personal bases in routes
- Individual id & name for the trainer (necessary for multiplayer)
- More non-pokémon data packs
- Drag and drop in the 'team' screen
- More dynamic battles against gym leaders/elites and other human players (could consider even turn based battles... if they are WIDELY requested, but really widely because that would be a pokémon-only feature, although I don't think that would be ideal on a quick-paced mobile game but that's just my opinion)
- Better graphics. Because I suck at making graphics.
- Other things I'm forgetting

Thanks, hope you have fun!

- More dynamic battles against gym leaders/elites and other human players (could consider even turn based battles... if they are WIDELY requested, but really widely because that would be a pokémon-only feature, although I don't think that would be ideal on a quick-paced mobile game but that's just my opinion)

A correction:
Even if I said this, please don't expect turn based battles to be made in the near future. It's a tough task, a very different mechanic from what I have now, and even if I decide to do it eventually, that will be veeery far in the future. So leave it be for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back