• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen The Evolution of Johto's Starters

The Evolution of Johto’s Starters

The Evolution of Johto’s Starters

The three Starter lines for Pokémon Gold and Silver changed greatly during development – two were completely different and then scrapped! We explore what we know about their development.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I still am super intrigued by the former middle stage of Chikorita's line. Such a weird and interesting idea!

Years
I actually like all the ideas they had for the Johto starters during development, I prefer what they ended up with at release, but reckon they could have stood up as good starter Pokemon in their own right. All apart from, that weird alien Bayleef...

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Teddiursa was born as a recolour of a scrapped starter. Now that's something that really I did not see coming.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
What were meganium and the whole tododile line???
A dinosaur with some weird spy/parasite/??? motif used prior to it but after Chikorita. As for the line replaced by totodile... something vaguely loch-ness-esque?
I actually like all the ideas they had for the Johto starters during development, I prefer what they ended up with at release, but reckon they could have stood up as good starter Pokemon in their own right. All apart from, that weird alien Bayleef...
I wouldn't mind seeing the alien bayleef sort of concept, just... not as a Starter.
Teddiursa was born as a recolour of a scrapped starter. Now that's something that really I did not see coming.
Yeah, surprised me too. It sure looked a bit awkward at first too.

Back