• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst fakedex

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
I'm trying to sprite a whole dexful of fakes, revamping some designs me and my older sister made sometime before gen 4 came out, I think. I'm not that good with making these exactly pokemon style, so I'm mostly concentrating on making the whole bunch of them harmonious in terms of shading and such.
I'm not that great a spriter and there are several things that give me trouble, such as shading (how do I make shadows ugh). :B

I've previously done spriting for fangames but not anymore because they tend to give me massive motivational issues. These aren't for any game, nor do I have a deadline, so they're much more fun to do.

I apologize for the watermarks; I'm kind of paranoid and overly protective of my work (especially on bigger forums such as this one).
As you might've guessed, you may not use these for any hacks or fangames, and I'd be really happy if you didn't steal the designs or ideas either (not that anyone would want, but... you know).

a_wm.png
b_wm.png

c_wm.png
d_wm-1.png

e_wm.png
f_wm.png
g_wm.png

h_wm.png
i_wm.png
j_wm.png

k_wm.png
l_wm.png
m_wm.png
n_wm.png

o_wm.png
p_wm.png
q_wm.png

r_wm.png
s_wm-1.png
t_wm.png
u_wm-1.png

v_wm.png
va_wm.png
vb_wm.png

vc_wm.png
vd_wm.png
ve_wm.png

vf_wm.png
vg_wm-1.png
vh_wm.png
vi_wm-1.png

vj_wm.png
vk_wm.png

vl_wm.png
vm_wm.png

x_wm-1.png
y_wm-1.png
z_wm.png

zy_wm-1.png

(sprites marked as m or f are merely gender differences, not separate pokemon)

This is all I've finished so far, I'll add more to this post as I make them. Feel free to criticize if you see something really wrong with these, and I may or may not edit them depending on what you're suggesting :D

Last edited:

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
Years
Question:

Why are you making all of the starters become Dragon types? T_T

Other than that, it looks fairly good.

lalo0101

Thanks Mulczhar for Avatar:D
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2013
I really like most of these but, you should try to change the pals of the grass starter because it look like a fire Pokemon, change the fire starter just the first one completely because is does not look remotely close to the evolutions it has.
What i do like is The last stagiest of the starters they are very good and well made:D

Hope you keep up the great work:D

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
The dragon type is there to balance out the fire>grass>water triangle P:

The typings are mostly set in stone because they have all kinds of other reasonings behind them too (water starter is partially based off the chinese dragon, for example, which explains the pearl too). And there's also the fact that these will never be in a playable game, haha :D

Thanks C:

@ lalo0101: "change the pals"? Not sure if you mean the coloration of Aromild or something else, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna change that (sorry!). The flower should make it painfully obvious that it's a grass type, plus I don't think grass=green should always be the case.
Also, I'm not sure if I want to change Oisera either, it's a hawk anyway like its evolutions, just quadruped. Maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I can see it evolving into its evolutions (it has sun-horns, last stage has horns and is yellow like the first).

(oh man I'm sounding so defensive right now, sorry about that)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I would say that the water starter needs more dynamic posing. Right now, it's just...standing there. I like the grass except for the first coloring, because it doesn't match at all with the rest. maybe make the flower on its back green to balance it more?

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
I know, I'm pretty bad with poses :U I'll see if I can do something about it later (though as my defense, most B/W sprites have pretty neutral poses, but then again they're animated, ugh).

For the grass starter, I can't change it because it's based on cloudberries and that's the colour of the flower in real life. Changing it would take away the idea behind it :C

lalo0101

Thanks Mulczhar for Avatar:D
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2013
@ lalo0101: "change the pals"? Not sure if you mean the coloration of Aromild or something else, but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna change that (sorry!). The flower should make it painfully obvious that it's a grass type, plus I don't think grass=green should always be the case.
Also, I'm not sure if I want to change Oisera either, it's a hawk anyway like its evolutions, just quadruped. Maybe it's just because I've gotten used to it, but I can see it evolving into its evolutions (it has sun-horns, last stage has horns and is yellow like the first).

(oh man I'm sounding so defensive right now, sorry about that)

Pals are the colors, i knew it was grass since its label but the colors you gave it kinda make it look kinda like a fire Pokemon, and i'm staring to see the fire starter now:D
But not at all

Edit
Never mind i just read what you wrote about Aromild but you should then try to follow through with the design and make nectrons(hope that the name) a little bit more of fall color

sorry for sounding kinda pushy:/

Last edited:

beca

◔_____◔
Years
Omg, that first one <3
Far better than most Pokemon around =] good job!

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
your shading and coloring is amazing. great palette selection.

i know you said you use your sister's concepts, but do you do any concept sketching? if not, i highly suggest it!

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
@ lalo0101: You're not being too pushy, I see what you mean :P

@ beca: Thanks C:

@ Samson: These are all collaborations, plus there are going to be ones that are completely designed by me. It's hard to say which ones are mostly hers and which are mostly mine because we've thought these particular ones up together.
In addition, I have made designs all by myself for some fangames before.

Added a new line to the first post, and might as well put it here too:
e_wm.png

Obligatory first-route mammal thing, although not as weak as the usual ones.
I have no idea what I was doing with the shading here so it might be a bit weird.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2011
Omg, that first one <3
Far better than most Pokemon around =] good job!
Talking about the very first Grass one? I have to agree! xD
That is one of the coolest pokemon I've seen.

But I honestly really like your pokemon :P, Too bad they won't be used for anything. I think it would be cool to see a pokemon game full of these types of creatures :P!

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Thank you :D
Of course, it would be amazing to have my own creations playable, but the amount of work that a proper game/hack needs is just way too much. I'm a realist (and kind of pessimistic sometimes) so I'm not going to kill my motivation by attempting such a large-scale project.

Also, I want to say this (not directed at anyone in this thread): I will not join your hack/fangame/project no matter how nice it is or how much you need me, so no point in PMing me. I've already received three PMs from people I don't know asking me to join their projects, so apparently my subtle hint in the first post wasn't enough to ward these people off :I

On another note, here's the early route normal/flying line!
f_wm.png

burds

TheAngryPidove

Don't Make A Pigeon Angry
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 25, 2011
I really like them, but they seem more like Grass Types, or at least the second one does/

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Ah, yeah, the tailfeathers kinda ended up looking leafy, but I'm not sure what to do with them since I would love to keep that green colour :U I'll probably look into it later.

Now, here's a three-stage grass line, mirroring Seedot and the like (trufax: my sister made the concepts of the first and last stage before gen three, and Ocuseed was originally called Seedet).
g_wm.png

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I really like those new ones, especially the names. They flow together really well and I can see the logical progression from one to the next.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I like your burds, but are you sure you want to go with that color scheme? Most people associate brown and green with grass-types. That aside, I love your designs! They all feel very different; Bountail, Flocular and Drusol seem Chinese, Japanese and north-African, respectively. Tangaroma and Woofresh are just... Well, you don't often see things like that, they're kind of alien.

They're all very close to B/W's style as well, with clean lines, even shading, minimal dithering (actually, I can't find any in your sprites), and almost no palette conservation. Some of the designs, like Ruffickle and Nectang, aren't very interesting to look at though. Bountail suffers from it a bit as well, with that largely featureless mane.

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Thank you all C:

@ Humm96: I'm not sure I could make a helpful tutorial O: I just kind of do things my way and I'm genuinely bad at explaining things. I could, however, take simple progress shots of a sprite the next time I do a new one, maybe that would help at least a bit?

@ Chesu: You have some good points (ones I have thought about myself!). I'm pretty sure I'll consult my sister this weekend and try to find a more working colour scheme for Rashop/Exbinar.
Bountail's mane bothers me too, I'm just not sure how to fix it (I tried adding a white stripe but it looked awful). Ruffickle and Nectang, on the other hand, can stay boring because middle stages are often a bit iffy (plus I can't think of anything to spice them up either, haha).
But thanks for the insightful comment! I like receiving feedback like this.

Today was a good day so I finished two lines!

First is one of my favourites design- idea- and namewise (all credit, except for the sprites, goes to my genius older sister)!
I think the sprites, especially Judom's, came out pretty good this time O:
h_wm.png

(here's a little c/p from somewhere else, explaining the typing)
Now before you go WHY ISNT IT A GRASS TYPE, here's some dex info for you:
Karoto's body is mostly composed of chalk so it would collapse if it wasn't for the flower that it plants on its head. The roots of the flower keep its body together and allow it to move around without crumbling. The flower itself doesn't give the pokemon any special powers, it's merely a skeleton of sorts.
When it evolves, the roots have grown so so strong they allow the newly-evolved Judom to perform all kinds of kicks and punches. Judom is very flexible and bouncy because of the roots supporting it.

And the second one (why we have two eye-based part-psychic lines I do not know):
i_wm.png

this one was rather challenging to sprite :U

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Regarding Karoto... Well, that explanation doesn't really work. I'll accept that it gains no special abilities from its plant parts, but that flower still has to be vulnerable, right? Anything that hurts a Grass-type Pokemon should affect it as well...

Back