• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Too many Legendary Pokemon?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
A massive handfull of legendary pokemon were brought to the table upon DPPt/Sinnoh region's release, but do you think that there were too many? Did the overabundance of these mythical Pokemon, make capturing and owning a one or more of them, less 'special'? Perhaps you were the opposite, maybe you loved the many additions! Why? Did you feel with the inclusion of several new Legendary Pokemon, made capturing one more fun or exciting?

Discuss!

For a little reminder, all the Legendary Pokemon introduced through DPPt were:

• Dialga
  • Palkia
  • Girantina (Both formes)
  • Arceus
  • Mesprit
  • Azelf
  • Uxie
  • Regigigas
  • Cresselia
  • Darkrai
  • Heatran
  • Shaymin (Both formes)
If I've forgotten any, please let me know!

I found that there were way way way too many legendaries introduced. I've always found and felt that Legendary Pokemon should be far and few between, making them special. In the older generations, (RBY, GSC), legendaries had this aura about them, a rarity, and when I caught them I felt like I'd caught something as precious as a shiny. But now with the excessive amounts of legendaries scattered all over the region, I think that atmosphere, that sense of rarity that they generate upon capture (even battle), has disappeared.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
I'd say that it was quite a handful honestly. With all these new powerful creatures, I felt legendaries didn't have that same,special spark like in previous games when there were only 3 or 4. It didn't seem like an achievement when you did manage to get your hands on one, since there were many more to capture.

I suppose the developers did this, since they wanted to give players a challenge, but it was sort of overkill for me. I preferred if they had a little less so capturing one could become special again :3. Capturing a legendary in the 4th Gen, was just like catching a Shinx or something, as they were rather common.

Also, if I can remember correctly, wasn't Manaphy and Phione introduced in the 4th Gen :3?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Gen I: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo and Mew ( 5 legendaries )
Gen II: Entei, Suicine, Raikou, Lugia, Ho-oh and Celebi ( 6 legendaries )
Gen III: Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Deoxys and Jirachi ( 10 legendaries )
Gen IV: Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Cresselia, Darkrai, Heatran, Regigigas, Manaphy, Phione, Shaymin and Arceus ( 14 legendaries )
Gen V: Reshiram, Victini, Zekrom, Kyurem, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Keldeo, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Meloetta, Genesect ( 13 legendaries )

By this char, it seems that they introduced the most legendaries in Gen IV. Starting by Gen III, they obviously wanted to show even more legendaries. But having more than 10 legendaries.. is it really a must? I mean having 5 legendaries per region is really enough. I don't see why they have so many legendaries now.
Legendaries are losing their "rareness" now. That's only my opinion, seeing we got like 48 legendaries.
I hope in the later gens, they would add less legendaries. Anyways they'll end up having more legendaries than the first gen Pokemon.

Years
It was kinda a lot actually, with so many overpowered Legendaries this generation I sorta felt that Legendaries lost that special trait in previous generations where there was like, 4 or 5 or something.

Given they introduced a tad too many, it wasn't really much of an achievement if you caught one. But I guess that Game Freak wanted to give players a challenge but it was a bit too much for me. I didn't really get excited when I caught a Legendary compared to other games.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I really don't see why that would be a problem.

And if having 5 legendaries per region is really enough, then why is 10 legendaries in Gen III A-OK?

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Too many legendaries makes the catching process boring and the pokemon in question less special imo. And yes I think there are too many in 4th gen. Haven't played a game from 5th gen yet. I don't like the fact that 5th gen has almost as much legendaries as 4th gen either. The reason why people like 1st gen legendaries is because they were special (there was a poll around here somewhere). There weren't so many legendaries in 1st gen.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I didn't feel like it was too much. Probably because I didn't have access to like half of the legendaries anyways. I've never seen Arceus, Darkrai, Manaphy, Phione, Shaymin, not to mention a couple of the third generation legendaries.

Years
The amount of legendaries introduced past Gen II has seemed a bit excessive, with the 4th Gen being the biggest culprit. Cresselia, Darkrai, Heatran, Regigigas, Manaphy and Shaymin really had no tie to the main story at all, so I don't think that they were really necessary to add in the grand scheme of things. And then when you think about the fact that Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres can be found roaming around Sinnoh as well (in Platinum at least), it does make all of them feel a little less special.

Years
Personally I think that in general there are to many legendary pokemon. If i ran it, each generation would have 2 and that's it.

I do feel special when I catch one. I am kind of behind with the times so tying to complete my pokedex is a pain in the ass and these guys do not come easy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2013
maybe it's because the developers realised that after beating the gym leaders and elite four and completing the game, there isn't much left to do other than "catching them all", so just to make life more difficult add more spice to the end of the game, they added a few more legendaries so that we won't get bored so easily.

but that kinda made legendaries lose their glamour...
If i were to say limit to 5 legendaries,
i would just leave it at dialga, palkia, and the lake trio, since those were the most relevant to the original plot.

Back