• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireShock

Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
Another map of mine noww

http://oi46.tinypic.com/jt04ut.jpg

Name: ROUTE 255
Game: Fire Red
Hack: Pokemon Sparks Of Ages
Region: LEKKON
Comments: the NorthWWest Corner leads to the map I posted last time in this thread.

My Rating:

Rating: 5/10

Reason: I feel this map is nice, but it's a bit too empty. Another problem I can see is that player can walk to anywhere on the map without having to walk in the tall grass. You may have done that because the player has to go in the cave, but with the PC right there it shouldn't be a problem. I can also see some one path tiles on and around the mountain. That can be annoying trying to walk around.

Suggestions:
Add some flowers around the map and a few more small rocks
on/by the mountain. Make some tall grass that the player has to walk through. I'd also adjust the mountain a little to give the player more walking space.

Final Comments: I'm sorry if it seems like I'm only focusing on the negatives of this map. Overall this map seems like a nice idea. I just feel with some proper tweaking this map could turn out to be even better!

-------------------------------------------

My Maps:

I'm going to be posting two maps. So I hope that is okay. Anyway, these two maps are for my hack. For these maps I'm going by playability before natural.

Map Name: Lakeshore Town

Map Game: Pokemon Palladium (Firered)

Comments: The beginning town for my hack.

Spoiler:

Map Name:
Boreas Path

Comments: Boreas Path is located a few areas after Lakeshore Town. It's a little square, but I'm not sure how to change that without ruining the flow of the map.

Spoiler:

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years

-------------------------------------------

My Maps:

I'm going to be posting two maps. So I hope that is okay. Anyway, these two maps are for my hack. For these maps I'm going by playability before natural.

Spoiler:

Map Name:
Boreas Path

Comments: Boreas Path is located a few areas after Lakeshore Town. It's a little square, but I'm not sure how to change that without ruining the flow of the map.

Spoiler:

1. Lakeshore Town could do better. Especially the Beach Part. Ill give that a 7.5
2.Boreas Path is nice. Plain and Simple like how a first route should be. But I feel like the trees are too well, organized. They should be scattered around like in real life. So ill give that a 9.3999999

Well for my maps.
I did these maps for practice and for fun :)
Map #1: Xypher City
XypherCity.jpg

Map #2: Starlight Town: (PS: Dont mind the ends of the bushes. The player cant see 'em in game)
StarlightTown.jpg

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 18, 2020
Well for my maps.
I did these maps for practice and for fun :)
Map #1: Xypher City
XypherCity.jpg

Map #2: Starlight Town: (PS: Dont mind the ends of the bushes. The player cant see 'em in game)
StarlightTown.jpg

Pretty good looking! For Xypher City, I'll give it a 9
and Starlight Town will get a 8.5 :) I like the entrance of that cave thingy!

DisesioN

Spoiler:

Map Name:
Boreas Path

Spoiler:

My Rating:

Rating:
Lakeshore town - 4.6/10
Boreas path - 9/10

Reason:
Lakeshore town - No creativity, too simple and doesn't feel alive.
Boreas path - Great map, just needed mountain to be more random.

Suggestions:
Lakeshore town - add some dark water in left below side. Add a garden or something to look it more lively.
Boreas path - These four bushes in the center of map looks a bit strange, maybe add stump there.

Final Comments:
Lakeshore town - Needs to improve, but you can make it very great.
Boreas path - Very great map, has own atmosphere, amazing. :)

My map.
Map name: no name
Map game: Fire Red
Comments: Made for fun, just wanted to get first ratings here, and find out my strengh at mapping. :D
fdfdfdb.png

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
My Rating:

My map.
Map name: no name
Map game: Fire Red
Comments: Made for fun, just wanted to get first ratings here, and find out my strengh at mapping. :D
fdfdfdb.png

It feels empty, not only that it lacks colour! Add flowers dont go crazy but it does liven up the map, theor are alot of small tree's randomly placed rather use large trees and add the small trees to it so it feel more natural and well it takes up some space. But place it all nicely. But its a decent map easy access so 6,5.

Map name: doesnt have one.
Game: Dont have one
Base: Firered
Map:
i_actually_havent_named_this_map__by_mllm-d5kjd1w.png

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Map name: doesnt have one.
Game: Dont have one
Base: Firered
Map:
i_actually_havent_named_this_map__by_mllm-d5kjd1w.png

Hm... now that is a rather interesting looking map, alright... let's see...

I'll give this map a rating of 9.4/10.

What I do like about the map is how it's really naturally mapped, it has a nicely designed tileset, like the Pokémon Center has a PokéBall logo at the top of the roof instead of at the front. It has some grass where you can capture some Wild Pokémon around there as well.

Hm... now what do I think I could suggest to improve the map to make it better? Well I think the mountain needs another cave entrance at a more higher level. It could be rather useful idea to have an item up there or something so that you have to go through the cave in order to get the item at the mountain's higher parts. And also... maybe remove some of the trees in front of the Pokémon Center to give you enough room to walk to the grassy area?

A map like this surely would see a tiny bit of improvement with the cave entrances. But over all... it surely is near enough to a masterpiece. ;)

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
My Rate

Spoiler:

My Map

Map Name: Breezevale
Hack: None

Breezevale.png

Credits to Ray Maverick for this beautiful, exclusive ROM base.
Please do not hasle him for a copy, as you'll unlikely get one.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
Map:
Spoiler:
Review:
Spoiler:

My map(s):
Spoiler:

Years
Name: Grovairy Town - Route 49
Description: A tiny town connected to a short, straightforward route. My goal in mapping is to map in a similar style to Gamefreak, but to make it more visually appealing and a bit more natural.

Review: 7.5, because it's not a bad map, but you said you want it to be more natural. To achieve this, you should maybe arrange the trees in a more imperfect pattern. The paths are also very straight, and lead nowhere basically. You are also missing a tree in the bottom left corner. Otherwise it seems like it'd be a decent town to stop by in a hack.

My Map:
attachment.php

Name: Lowlite Town
Hack Name: Pokemon Bright Waters and Dark Flames
Game Base: FireRed
Comments: The starting town for my new hack. Has a connection North, South, and East

My other Map:
attachment.php

Map Name: Shinygrove City
Comments: This town is accessed by route from Lowlite Town. The bottom left connection is the only one originally accessible, the top right is blocked by tree, and the cave isn't unlocked until the end of the game. Also, there are many more trees at the bottom of the map (so you can't see the tile error at the border block)

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 28, 2019
Review: 7.5, because it's not a bad map, but you said you want it to be more natural. To achieve this, you should maybe arrange the trees in a more imperfect pattern. The paths are also very straight, and lead nowhere basically. You are also missing a tree in the bottom left corner. Otherwise it seems like it'd be a decent town to stop by in a hack.

My Map:
attachment.php

Name: Lowlite Town
Comments: The starting town for my new hack. Has a connection North, South, and East

My other Map:
attachment.php

Map Name: Shinygrove City
Comments: This town is accessed by route from Lowlite Town. The bottom left connection is the only one originally accessible, the top right is blocked by tree, and the cave isn't unlocked until the end of the game. Also, there are many more trees at the bottom of the map (so you can't see the tile error at the border block)
Review: 7
The map are okay but the house are very weird xD
Map: Trinity Town

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
Review: 7
The map are okay but the house are very weird xD
Map: Trinity Town

Very open in the middle and unless your going for a gamefreak style your map is very sqaure and why is their a body of sea water but doesnt appear to be a beach or sea anywhere o: thats about it i would give you a 5-6 cause their are improvements to be made.

MAp:route
rom:Fr
Game: just testing
Map:
Spoiler:

Saigyouji Yuyuko

Meikai no Ohime-sama
Years
Ikadohayarouto

MAp:route
rom:Fr
Game: just testing
Map:

9.9/10
I find very little fault in this one, if at all. The map is well done, with well-balanced proportions of grass and open space. The trees look like they're placed naturally instead of forming obvious barriers like in gamefreak. The tileset is wonderful as well-- I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the water. ^.^
All in all, it doesn't even look like firered. You have done a splendid job there, sir.
A wonderful eye-candy.
But the fenced-off flower bed is quite strange and doesn't seem to *fit in* with the rest of the map for some reason. It doesn't really make much sense.

As I haven't reached the big 15 yet, mine will be as attachments.

Here is the data. Spoiler'd for length. It contains data that might help in how you rate the maps.
Rom Base: BPRE [Fire Red] hack Touhoumon 1.8
Game: Touhoumon Phantom [In-Progress]

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Khazadar

Shady Mapper
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
Map Maker: aar2697
Map Name: Route 5
ROM: Fire Red
Tileset: Mew_Ryn and some of my own tiles.
Description: This is the fifth route in my ROM hack, Pokemon Silicon. It is a small route. It leads to Route 6, a much longer route. Do not take into much consideration of areas the player cannot see. Those areas don't matter much at all.

Rating: 8/10
The map is nice, but the rock placement makes it look a bit messy. Lots of rocks on the right side of the mountain part, but none on the left side. The map in general is too stuffy, as you have almost no room to move. Also, look at the upper right side of the map where it goes from rocky to grassy. See the how bad that looks? Fix that, and you got yourself an awesome map!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Map Maker: Khazadar
Map Name: Verdant City
ROM: Pokémon Delta
Tileset: Pokémon Fire Red Titles.
Description: It's a starting city, because I'm tired of the small starting towns. you start in the house longest to the left, and move down to get to the next town. When you get surf, you get the chance to battle the rocket grunt in front of the water to cross the water and continue through the cave. There is no official poke center in this city as you enter your own house for healing.
Image: Separate file

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Rating: 8/10
The map is nice, but the rock placement makes it look a bit messy. Lots of rocks on the right side of the mountain part, but none on the left side. The map in general is too stuffy, as you have almost no room to move. Also, look at the upper right side of the map where it goes from rocky to grassy. See the how bad that looks? Fix that, and you got yourself an awesome map!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Map Maker: Khazadar
Map Name: Verdant City
ROM: Pokémon Delta
Tileset: Pokémon Fire Red Titles.
Description: It's a starting city, because I'm tired of the small starting towns. you start in the house longest to the left, and move down to get to the next town. When you get surf, you get the chance to battle the rocket grunt in front of the water to cross the water and continue through the cave. There is no official poke center in this city as you enter your own house for healing.
Image: Separate file

Rated map:
Spoiler:

Rating: 7/10 :-)

Reason: Well, first off, props for making a starting city that's different to the average starting city. I like how you essentially 'unlock more' as you progress through the game- it's a pretty cool idea. I like the urban theme to it too, and the layout is pretty good. Having said that, I do think sometimes the trees etc. stand out a bit too much against the urban tiles, and maybe you could find something to fill their space instead- perhaps small, non-enter-able houses? You could try maybe expanding the lower section too so it's a bit taller to compensate. I just think the bottom bit is a tad bland at the moment since there's not much too it- the other sections seem fine however.

Suggestions: Less greenery mixed in with the urban tiles.
More space at the bottom.

----

Spoiler:

Map Name: Cobblestone City

Map Game: Pokemon FireRed

Comments: This is where the first Gym (look to my signature and avatar for the Gym Leader ;D) is. It is one of the first more urban-like cities in my hack, and it is pretty evident. To the north-east is an old, abandoned and apparently rumored-to-be haunted mansion. The Gym Leader likes to visit the mansion and play games with her friends there, being quite young and immature. The city has a refined taste that is hopefully expressed through the map, while still having quite a rocky and natural influence to it, hence the name. :)

I am planning to add my own tiles at some point, so the old FireRed tiles are mostly just placeholders at the moment. :)

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
Years
Spoiler:

Map Name: Cobblestone City

Map Game: Pokemon FireRed

Comments: This is where the first Gym (look to my signature and avatar for the Gym Leader ;D) is. It is one of the first more urban-like cities in my hack, and it is pretty evident. To the north-east is an old, abandoned and apparently rumored-to-be haunted mansion. The Gym Leader likes to visit the mansion and play games with her friends there, being quite young and immature. The city has a refined taste that is hopefully expressed through the map, while still having quite a rocky and natural influence to it, hence the name. :)

I am planning to add my own tiles at some point, so the old FireRed tiles are mostly just placeholders at the moment. :)

Rate: 7.5/10

I like the map, it's filled but not on purpose (where people start putting in random stuff to fill up the map).
Very good map ;)!

My map:
Spoiler:

Map Name: No name, it's just a sample map I made some days ago.
ROM: Pokemon Fire Red.
Description: Just a sample map, as said before. It's the first map I made in some time, so it could have some errors I didn't see ;) It's meant to be a forest on a mountain.

I know the water is square, just thought of that too....

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Rate: 7.5/10
http://imageshack.us/a/img689/6939/sampledo.png
Description: Just a sample map, as said before. It's the first map I made in some time, so it could have some errors I didn't see ;) It's meant to be a forest on a mountain.

I know the water is square, just thought of that too....

I'd like to start off by saying that for a forest, this map is too unnatural. Considering the setting (a forest on a mountain), it looks much too organised and man-made. The paths are too straight, the trees are organised too square like and it really does not give off that feeling of a forest, nor does it make it feel like it's an important location on top of a mountain. You really want to exaggerate the idea that it's unexplored and too difficult to build cleanly on. The trees need to be spread out more, the grass needs to be spaced out and the paths are way too straight. Their definitely needs to be some sort of mountainous area, maybe minor hills that you have to move over or around. The water is also way too cleanly organised, it needs to be more natural. I'd also vary the trees, you've got the skinny tree, use it. Mixing the trees up and having them overlap each other differently will help the map immensely. Another thing that annoys me is how you've organised the edges to be like a mountain border, don't do that. It needs to cut into the area more, and you should not be able to see the other side in game, take a look at how Nintendo did the route before Mount Moon in FR/LG and see how they used that extra space. Right now the map looks too big to be played on, but if you take what I said into account it should be much better.

4/10.

Happy mapping!

DaleH771

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
My Rate:
Spoiler:

Your map I'm afraid is far too square and unnatural as said previously. I like the layout however, there is a potential there, but the layout and design would be boring to play, as the map would be oh so very repetitive.

Overall: 5/10 - Look at my map, take some tips from how to make a map look natural from there :)[/spoiler]

My Map
Map Name: Some Region...
Hack of: Firered
Credits: Me for mapping, Ray Maverick for this intense tileset.
- Note I am aware of some Tile errors, I just cant be bothered to fix them..

Region-1_zpsce3b769b.png

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
My Rate:

My Map

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m583/daleh7711/Region-1_zpsce3b769b.png

In terms of the mountainous area it's spot on, you haven't sacrificed playability and the distribution of everything flows very well. I really like how you've got all the different paths (bridges, staircases, patches of grass). The only thing I can really pick up on is the very bland area coming away from the farm to the right, the way you've aligned the trees and the completely diagonal grass patch there really weakens the feel of the map. The other thing I've noticed is the lack of the dark water tiles in the sea, it really makes it plan and ruins that bottom area of the map. Also, you should definitely chuck in some of the gray rocks in the ocean because it makes it feel much more natural, not to mention that that part of the ocean is extremely wide open? There needs to be something restricting the players and giving them a sense of direction. Other then that though, it is a very, very good map. Well done.

9/10.

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
My Map

Region-1_zpsce3b769b.png

Rating: 9.5/10
Reason: For the most part, I think you hit the nail on the head here. There's a lot of space to work with here and I think you filled it nearly perfectly. The only thing I can say that I don't like is how the pattern of the trees changes towards the top left corner. It's quite a noticeable change in the style of tree and it seems to break the flow of the map.
Suggestion: Change the pattern of the trees in the top left corner to match that of the rest of the map.

My Map:

Map Name: doesn't have one, based off Petalburg City
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This is my first map so I was a little hesistant to change too much. The open area in the tree line along the bottom of the map contains an item.
x2qUh.png

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
My Map:

Map Name: doesn't have one, based off Petalburg City
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This is my first map so I was a little hesistant to change too much. The open area in the tree line along the bottom of the map contains an item.
x2qUh.png
Rate: 1/10
Reason: Unless you were trying to go for the nintendo style mapping, i don't really like the looks of it. Well it depends on everyone opinion and for me i would like to see something different so i gave you a 1 for at least trying to map and for your first map. The map is simply empty. yeah just my opinion. Try to do better..:)

My Map:
Map name: Route 1
Hack of : Fire Red
Credits: To the tile artist and anyone needed credits to..
Note: This is from my old hack. So ignore the empty spaces since i mapped this for the hack purpose so i left those blank since the player wont see it.
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back