• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Give it a little time, and I'll get mine.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'm not entirely sure about the specifics of this mentality, but surely those who wait around doing nothing will not receive good fortune. Now if "waiting" is more of an active, progressive thing, then sure, people who continue to work towards something should be, and often are, rewarded. If this is the case, waiting would be opposed by indecision, deterrence, etc.

Years
There are certain times where I question this mentality. Normally I am the type to wait around until something good happens; on occasion it does, other times not so much. In regards to situations like relationships, I think it'd be a better idea to disregard that waiting theory and be proactive in trying to obtain whatever it is that you want.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Consider locking yourself in a room 24/7. How much "good" do you suppose would come to you from all that waiting?

Nothing gets put into motion on its own. You cannot obtain attain anything, good or bad, without effort, whether it's yours or someone else's. I strongly disagree with passive mindsets; take matters into your own hands as much as you are capable.

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
There seems to be a common misconception about what the saying means. Essential, it tells you not to rush through everything in life, because you miss the best parts of it. Look at the parents who are so busy with their lives that their children grow up before they realize it. Or someone rushing through so many relationships, trying to find the right one, that they don't stop and consider those around them instead.

Waiting is not doing nothing. Waiting is taking your time when you are trying to get what you want. It is patience. Too many are confused by what patience is, often thinking it is just sitting around doing nothing, instead of planning ahead for when your opening comes to make the most out of it.

Years
I don't think "good things come to those who wait" means "sit on your ass and your problems will be solved". I see it as respecting circumstances out of your control instead of trying in vain to fight the insurmountable - after all, why would you wait on things you can handle yourself? I also see it as "don't be hasty". People can overestimate themselves. I can also see it as "investment will be rewarded". Whether it be taking a lot of blood and sweat on a pet project, an education, or spending lots of time with a girlfriend or significant other, some things just take time.

Melody

Banned
Years
I think a lot of people really misunderstand the meaning of the saying. What it's NOT advocating is sitting idly by and doing absolutely nothing.

It's a metaphor for patience, which can be applied as a virtue pretty regularly in life.

Years
I think a lot of people really misunderstand the meaning of the saying. What it's NOT advocating is sitting idly by and doing absolutely nothing.

It's a metaphor for patience, which can be applied as a virtue pretty regularly in life.

I agree, patience is something not everyone has; there are those with a high patience level and those not so much. But on the other hand, I find being ambitious and taking initiative are also commendable traits. There's nothing wrong with going after what you want, but that could also come at a price.

Back