• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that need a major role

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Not all Pokemon in the anime have had a major role. Some have only had a minor role and that's it. What Pokemon do you think should have a major appearance or role in the anime?

For me that would have to be Alomola. It's only appeared once. I haven't seen it since the first episode. We don't know its potential or anything in the anime, so it deserves a major role in an upcoming episodes. Besides, if you ask me, that's one of the very few Unova Pokemon that hasn't been seen in ages or talked about or mentioned. I want it to be seen with a trainer.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Rattata and Raticate, AFAIK. They gave Pidgey TWO episodes, but I can't recall Rattata/icate ever being more than background filler.

I'd forgive everything else if they just gave my rats some limelight. Someone correct me if they've done so in the past few years.

On that note (yes, I'm going there), I've never seen Nidoqueen/king get a really big role, either. They're usually just a big scary monster that pops out of the woods, sometimes used for comedic relief (which is actually good for Nidoking, it kind of takes all the starch out of him).

Also, that episode with Brock and Temacu? Yeah. That didn't count. Too much focus on them, not enough on the boy and girl I actually have a geniune interest in.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Sandslash! Sandshrew has had two episodes dedicated to him which I've absolutely loved (and one was as late was the Sinnoh saga so it shows he's still relevant!), but the biggest kind of 'dedication' that Sandslash has received in an episode is being a trainer's Pokémon in the episode where Ash catches Cyndaquil. I would love to see him have a major role in an episode to see more of his personality and, of course, because he's incredibly cute. I think he's a good enough and well-known enough Pokémon to make a story around so I'd love to see this happen.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think my most wanted air timer was Brock's Mudkip. It already had a major role, yes, but it wasn't showcased as much as the other starters from Hoenn region, as Ash's Treecko eventually evolved to become Sceptile, and May's Torchic the same to be Blaziken. But what about Brock and Mudkip? No, a lame Marshtomp should have to do.

Other than that I don't think I really saw much of a few Pokémon which I like; being ranged; like Gible and co.

I do think that some Pokémon were very much shown, tho.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Zoroark got a movie though so I think that covers it.

I can't really think of Pokémon that I would be interested in seeing more of. But the thing is that I don't usually have much of an interest in particular Pokémon unless I've already seen them or used them and deemed them to be really good. OH ACTUALLY we're missing Whimsicott and Petilil and Basculin and yeah those guys would be fun. <3

Years
Zoroark got a movie though so I think that covers it.

I can't really think of Pokémon that I would be interested in seeing more of. But the thing is that I don't usually have much of an interest in particular Pokémon unless I've already seen them or used them and deemed them to be really good. OH ACTUALLY we're missing Whimsicott and Petilil and Basculin and yeah those guys would be fun. <3
But Whimsicott and Petilil have already been introduced in 2-3 episodes and Basculin also made debut on the episode in Castelia city where Cilan caught it

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah, but an introduction isn't really a major role. Like, Swanna, right- it was glimpsed in the first BW ep, but didn't get any kind of role until the Gothitelle ep, where Jenny's showed up for about 15 seconds and failed to defog anything. Those aren't major roles. Skyla's Swanna, though- that had a major role, showed a bit of personality, did a really good couple of battles.

Whimsicott and Petilil have shown up in the background a few times a la first ep!Swanna. Basculin has shown up in the background a few times and for a bit in the fishing ep where it was featured about as much as Jenny's Swanna. For major appearances, I'm wanting more about the level of Skyla's Swanna. Or more than that, like Katharine's Gothita, even though I hated that thing lmao. I want to see personality from these Pokémon, not just appearances.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
My thoughts are with Zoroark. Poor little thing. Why they never showed him even a single time in Unova. So i must say it should appear back in the anime

I remember back when Pokemon with major roles in the movies had their own episode in the show as well. They don't seem to do that anymore. :(

As for me, I have to agree and say Zoroark should get its own episode.

Years
Yeah, but an introduction isn't really a major role. Like, Swanna, right- it was glimpsed in the first BW ep, but didn't get any kind of role until the Gothitelle ep, where Jenny's showed up for about 15 seconds and failed to defog anything. Those aren't major roles. Skyla's Swanna, though- that had a major role, showed a bit of personality, did a really good couple of battles.

Whimsicott and Petilil have shown up in the background a few times a la first ep!Swanna. Basculin has shown up in the background a few times and for a bit in the fishing ep where it was featured about as much as Jenny's Swanna. For major appearances, I'm wanting more about the level of Skyla's Swanna. Or more than that, like Katharine's Gothita, even though I hated that thing lmao. I want to see personality from these Pokémon, not just appearances.
I say the Pokemon Franchise does not wants to add an episode on every Poke because they think it is sort of Boring. Also due to the cute appearance of these Pokes you mentioned they are not worthy of battling much

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Well, no of course they wouldn't do an episode featuring every Pokémon. I'm just saying what I'd want to see. But as for the second bit there, are you kidding me? If nothing else, Whimsicott is a absolutely phenomenal battler. She and Crustle have basically carried me through my entire Gym Leader Challenge on Black. And my Basculin has kicked some ass too. I'm not confident on Petilil as a battler, but I've heard it's not bad at all. Not worthy just cause they're cute? Huh! You go ahead and use Whimsicott on a playthrough and tell me that again.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Cute Pokémon can be just as powerful as non-cuties. And what? They certainly didn't annoy me. They were my my most valuable Pokémon on that run. And I want to see an episode with those guys.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm not after the cute Pokémon. I'm after the Pokémon that I'm partial to, which usually means ones I've used on playthroughs and have done really well for me. And you know... most of those are Hoenn or earlier. And wow they're actually done a really good job of having feature episodes for a lot of Pokémon. It's hard for me to think of any more that I really like that haven't been featured as a Pokémon Of The Day or as a trainer's Pokémon.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I forgot about the entire Porygon line, though I at least get why they don't. TBH Porygon at least got an episode, which is fine by me seeing as I've only ever liked Porygon 1.0 over the others. :P

As for the above conversation, it kind of reminded me that there was once a time when Pokemon weren't on the show to either fight or be eye candy. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember when I stopped watching around mid Advanced Generation, the Pokemon of the Day was usually introduced in the blandest of the bland scenarios compared to the first season. That's not even a rose tinted glasses thing. If anything, that's more of an early installment weirdness thing, where they experimented a heck of a lot more before they settled into a comfortable mediocrity and formula.

Has any other Pokemon had quite the same introduction as the Squirtle Squad? Maybe Treecko. Even then, that was still different, but at least the last interesting Pokemon story I can think of up until the PMD special. Caterpie's whole backstory was pretty interesting, too. Let's not even forget the first episode itself. They made sure to create a real bond between Ash and Pikachu from the get go. Island of the Giant Pokemon, Tentacool and Tentacruel, Ghost of Maiden's Peak, The Song of Jigglypuff, that one episode where Ivysaur and Venusaur were beating Ash's Bulbasaur (or something) because he wouldn't conform...

I would like more of those, less:
I am a Pokemon. I might be part of a non too stimulating but uniterestingly feral pack, I don't want to offend anybody. I might be a loner, and I might just play up tired archtypes that are dialied down to lukewarm. I might even be a little silly but not too much because I want to keep my cute eye candy composure. Oh look, Team Rocket. D'oh, they got me. Blah blah blah the end

It's almost as if some unheard of organization installed chips into every last Pokemon in the show which shocks them if they have too much fun or show too much emotion. Ugh, I'm getting worked up over this fluff. I'm too old for this. >_<

Back