• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit Chat & Polls Feedback ft. PotW Feedback!

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I'd pretty much say that people are afraid to post more the once. They make their reply, and they feel that they have answered the thread. It seems kind of... rude, almost, the continue a conversation about some of these things, especially considering the fact that they are opinion based usually. This isn't the place for changing opinions or starting a debate, that's what the other section is for. So while that doesn't really inhibit conversation, I could imagine people are afraid that their "chit-chat" might meander in the "discussion" category and they don't want to get reprimanded for such. The administration should really focus on making a more encouraging atmosphere for chit-chat, rather than the usual run-and-gun post style that is recurrent around here.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Last time guys.

Poll of the Week Feedback. Not section feedback. I will open a section feedback eventually, after I deal with this situation though, rest assured. And that announcement will have to go up tomorrow, I'm simply too busy right now. =/

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
after reading the announcement imo five candidates is just too small a number
how are you going to truly see the wealth of the forum if you limit the candidate number to just five threads
eight at least

Honest

Hi!
Years
I was thinking that, yeah. Andy thought eight was an odd number, and while I did think it was a fair compromise between 5 and 10, I think I went with 5 cause it'd generate a feeling of importance among the candidates. That's still open to change though.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
oh andy i'll deal with him

well
try five for the first month and then open this thread up for debate again when the next POTM rolls around

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Last time guys.

Poll of the Week Feedback. Not section feedback. I will open a section feedback eventually, after I deal with this situation though, rest assured. And that announcement will have to go up tomorrow, I'm simply too busy right now. =/

I found it to be Poll of the Week Feedback. Such would be more popular if people felt more comfortable in this section as a whole. The polls of the week, great as they are, aren't going to go very far if every member just comes in and posts their one opinion and then leaves. For it to truly come to life, people are going to have actually get behind the whole "chit-chat" of the topic of the POTW.

That being said.... you also have to realize that the POTW are the ones that people enjoyed and thus have already replied to, only exacerbating the effect that I mentioned earlier. The POTW will bring popularity to this section, but so too is it this section's job to bring popularity to the POTW. They are interdependent, and in most cases that I see, bettering one will bring betterment to the other as well.

I think the candidate number is rather silly thing. The number of candidates seems irrelevant to me. I don't think that you really need to make the candidate feel important... And on a weekly basis, this seems as though it might be a little difficult. I don't know how many new threads you get weekly, but I imagine that it can't be very much more than 10. In that regard, I could see the program being relatively useless when EVERYONE is a candidate, but so long as enough new threads come through, it won't be a problem. Alternatively, you could a bi-weekly event or perhaps a monthly one, allowing more threads to come in, and thus generating a bigger pool to select the candidates from. The number then, could be bigger, while still retaining this "special" sense that you wish to have. If it were up to me, however, I wouldn't care about the candidates feeling special, because it's an achievement in its own right to be selected as 1 of the 5 or 1 of the 10 out of all these new threads. And honestly, at this point, they really haven't won, and it is the winner that truly deserves to be hailed.

Also... you know... this could be for section feedback. Just because you are too busy to carry it out now, does not mean you cannot generate the ideas and pin them up for later use.

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
Years
I think I see your logic behind the candidate thing, but you're wronga bout the number of threads this section gets per week. If I recall correctly, last time I had to deal with a PotW, I had a whole page worth of threads, which is around 25.

If I'm reading your post correctly (which I may very well not be), then I think we might already be on the track to fixing the situation. We've expanded it to a monthly contest, and by that reason, we've expanded our pool of threads and made the 5 we decide people to vote on more eligible? Is that any where near what you were trying to say? lol

As for the last bit, I think with the change we've implemented to PotW, I might soon add a section feedback section to this thread.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Okay guys, I've decided to expand this thread's topic from PotW to the entire forum in general! So give us some feedback, will ya?

How do you think the mods are doing running CCP? Anything you'd like to see changed? Anything that's a particular bother, or something you'd like to compliment? Tell us here, any little bit of information helps!

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
- More emphasis on discussion in threads would be great (though there is already a marked improvement in discussion), as every thread that fosters discussion is better for the forum.
- You already know my concerns about the state of the DCC, as does anyone else who browses there.
- Is there an event that involves this forum in the Get-Together? If not, there should be.
- Give me the Navi emblem for christs sake.

Honest

Hi!
Years
- More emphasis on discussion in threads would be great (though there is already a marked improvement in discussion), as every thread that fosters discussion is better for the forum.
- You already know my concerns about the state of the DCC, as does anyone else who browses there.
- Is there an event that involves this forum in the Get-Together? If not, there should be.
- Give me the Navi emblem for christs sake.

-An improvement is something! I'm trying to brainstorm methods to increase the amount of discussions we can have here. With school having ended today, I can actually focus on that (y)
-And you already know what I'm going to do about it!
-Well, I'm not exactly sure what'd work as an event, tbqh. Closest thing I could think of was a Skype Chat, and that's already happening. I'll brainstorm in the coming days, though!
-If only I knew what that was. <3

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I think I see your logic behind the candidate thing, but you're wronga bout the number of threads this section gets per week. If I recall correctly, last time I had to deal with a PotW, I had a whole page worth of threads, which is around 25.
I did not know the numbers, that was merely conjecture to display my point. If the number of total threads overall is a small number, then you obviously need less candidates. The larger the number of threads you get in, then the more candidates you could--and should--have.

If I'm reading your post correctly (which I may very well not be), then I think we might already be on the track to fixing the situation. We've expanded it to a monthly contest, and by that reason, we've expanded our pool of threads and made the 5 we decide people to vote on more eligible? Is that any where near what you were trying to say? lol
What I'm saying, is essentially what I said I above. Since it is 25, 10 does not seem to be too large of a number as it still less than half, and that is just not really considered "large." If you pick 10 candidates, then people are going to be more vested in ensuring that the topics they produce are of a higher quality. Those 10 people, ideally, would come back to ensure that their thread is still interesting and relevant. The same could happen with 5 people, but for one, 10 people doing this would promote more activity than 5, and 10 would also promote more "competition" (of a friendly nature, of course!) to make higher quality threads as you have more people to actually beat. Now, I know it isn't exactly a "competition" but I'm sure that if someone knew they were in the running, they would try to get as many votes as they could, which would involve bringing more activity to their thread, and this section as a whole. And since the section would be increasing in popularity due to the people attracted by the poll, the poll would in turn also increase in popularity. Maybe the idea would to be make winning POTW a bit more of a prestigious honor...

In that respect, I have but few ideas as I am not knowledgeable about forum software. I know you guys sticky the threads, but those are still easy to lose. If it were possible, I'd make their thread stand out some more. Either by making the particular stickied thread bigger or maybe a different color. Again, I don't know how possible it'd be, but if the POTW was advertised a little more, or had a bit more "pop" to it, then people would probably be assed to actually put in some more effort.

Honest

Hi!
Years
Well, I'm not sure about a different color, but the most I can think of is prefixes, which have already been recommended for the candidates. I'll probably be running that by HQ and have it happen. Aside from that, I'm seeing you're logic with the 10 candidates. Like you said, more people equals more activity. I'm almost definitely sure that I'll bump it to 8, but I'll have to have a talk with Andy and see what he says about 10. I'll also see if it's possible to make the PotW stand out more. Thanks for the feedback, though!

Back