• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Bug-Catching Contest

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
The first time I played this game it was accidentally. After I noticed that it was a mini-game, I tried to win sometimes but catching a nice bug in that place is something hard, then I didn't like very much of the Bug-Catching Contest. I have already won the first prize only once, it's a very tiring game.

And as some members say that it was make up the lack of Safari Zone, I disagree. Safari Zone can't be replaced by the Bug-Catching Contest, they're far different from each other.

tnfsf11

The contest was awesome, you don't pay a penny & end up having a Pinsir & a sun stone, & it happens 3 times a week, EVERY week.
It didn't make up for the Safari Zone however cuz G/S/C were about having an adventure in Johto then travelling to Kanto & redoing the whole R/B/G adventure there, so I expected a Safari Zone & the Pokemon Tower side-quest...

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I did partake in the contest but tbh, I didn't really like it that much, sure you get to catch some decent Pokemon early in the game, but, the Bug Catching contest will not replace the Safari Zone. I liked it too much and the pokemon there were too greatly decent. And of course my love of the 1st generation will burn strong.

JawDane

Here for the Nostalgia
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
Yeah, that was pretty cool. Only ever ended up caring about getting the Pinsir though.

Years
I think the Bug-Catching contest is a brilliant idea. I am always so impressed with the Pokemon Company's ability in generating such an original game with such brilliance in every step of the game. But for the life of me, I can never get first place! I only got second or third. It drives me crazy, and I wish I knew how to get first place, but the effort taken without having the ability to 'save' is dreadfully distasteful towards my patience.

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
Years
I thought I loved the Bug-Catching Contest... until I entered it today and one of the CPU's beat my Syther with his Venonat. I was dumbfounded {XD}

I do think it's creative, but I was kind of hoping for the Safari Zone to return. :/

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I participated in it every time. I won most of the time with Scyther. I think a Butterfree beat me out once but no biggie. I never did know what to do with all those Sun Stones however.

Years
I participated in it every time. I won most of the time with Scyther. I think a Butterfree beat me out once but no biggie. I never did know what to do with all those Sun Stones however.

I hear Sunflora is pretty amazing pokemon....hahaha

But really, you can always go with bellossom.

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
Years
I always liked the bug catching contest, especially the prizes. It allowed me to get a Scyther early on in the game and I'm currently working on getting that up to battle-worthy level (Lv 50). Plus, not having a Safari Zone didn't bother me because you could find about 95% of the original Safari Zone pokemon in the wild.
Note: Based on Pokemon Silver and Gold (Not sure if Crystal is the same)
Chansey (Rt 13, 14 & 15)
Scyther & Pinsir (National Park)
Tauros (Rt 38 & 39)
Rhyhorn (Victory Road)
Dratini (Buy at Goldenrod GC)
Tangela (Outside Mt. Silver)
Nidorans (Rt 35 & 36)
Paras (Ilex Forest)
Venonat (Rt 24, 25, 43 & Bug Catching Contest)
Exeggcute (Headbutt trees)
Krabby (A lot of places)
Poliwag (Water outside of Mt. Silver)
Magikarp (Lake of Rage & Dragon's Den)
Slowpoke (Slowpoke's Well)
Goldeen (A lot of places)
Psyduck (Rt 6, 35 & Ilex Forest)

Back