• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
Great tool! However, I know next to nothing about NDS hacking, so please answer me this.

How do I begin editing a map for real? Can I edit and create maps the same way I do with AdvanceMap for Pokemon FireRed, or is it more limited or difficult somehow?

No. That's impossible because NDS maps are 3D and don't use tiles. Sadly it's more difficult to edit these maps. There are some tutorials on youtube, search for "sdsme tutorial".

So, who's going to continue Spiky's work?
I'm currently developing the next version of SDSME, but it takes time, because I have a very active life so I develop only during free time ;)

Years
Hey guys, this tool is awesome! Thanks to Markitus and all those hackers who are interested in continuing the development of this great tool.

By the way, I'm having an issue with my new computer. Every time I try to open the tool it says "Can not activate the GL rendering context". I googled it and it seems to be an old issue, but I haven't been able to find any solution. Any help with this would be appreciate.

Bye! Adéu!

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
Hey guys, this tool is awesome! Thanks to Markitus and all those hackers who are interested in continuing the development of this great tool.

By the way, I'm having an issue with my new computer. Every time I try to open the tool it says "Can not activate the GL rendering context". I googled it and it seems to be an old issue, but I haven't been able to find any solution. Any help with this would be appreciate.

Bye! Adéu!

Yes I know. Sadly I don't know what is causing this bug. If you had a look at my thread, I'm developing the next version from scratch, and I'm using Java, not C# (so this tool can run also on Mac OSX and Linux). I hope the bug won't exist with this version...

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Incredible tool. Hope that Triggerhappy can make use of it in order to complete his Red remake to generation 4.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 28, 2016
Hi, i want to ask something about the unofficial 1.90 version, i've seen a "Buidling Packs" tab, what is it for ?
And i want to know something, can we change houses models to customs ?
Thanks for awnsering :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 1, 2016
Is there any way to get this to work on a Mac or am I out of luck?
I don't use a mac but I know there a few options.
You can emulate the .exe with a program called wine and winebottler. You could also use a virtual harddrive like VMware.
Couldn't tell you how to set them up but they are worth looking into.

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
Is there any way to get this to work on a Mac or am I out of luck?

I don't use Mac, but I use Linux. Well you have to use Wine, but before running the program install on wine .net framework 4 (I don't know how to do this and if this will work, given that wine was developed for linux and then ported to mac)

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
Hi, i want to ask something about the unofficial 1.90 version, i've seen a "Buidling Packs" tab, what is it for ?
And i want to know something, can we change houses models to customs ?
Thanks for awnsering :)

At the moment I can't tell you what it is...
And yes, you can edit them with the building editor

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 4, 2019
I don't use Mac, but I use Linux. Well you have to use Wine, but before running the program install on wine .net framework 4 (I don't know how to do this and if this will work, given that wine was developed for linux and then ported to mac)

I have both of those things (I use wine for most tools on here) but this application doesn't open when selected. I know this thread isn't for troubleshooting, but any ideas? I won't post about this anymore on this thread to keep it on task.

Years
  • Age 57
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
This is really great of you, Spiky. Hopefully this amazing tool gets new life with this.

I've written some little gen 4 tools as well:

A trainer editor (Heartgold- trainers ordered roughly by the order encountered, and includes their battle text)

A LUA script that alters pokemon while the game is playing (can enforce nuzlocke deaths, and alter newly caught pokemon or party pokemon. Ex: make any pokemon caught by a masterball shiny)

And an in-battle music player (muted sseq, watch memory and play external music with winamp).

But back on topic- can anyone here help me with Platinum? - I can't modify scripts or use the Trainer Editor:

When I modify a script (ex script 1056 # 2, changing Message 0x0 to Message 0x1)
click "save current", and save rom
But when I flip to script 1055 and back to 1056 it isn't modified anymore. Reloading the ROM is the same result.

Big thanks to anyone who can help me out, I really need to script edit Platinum.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 57
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
One major impediment for gen 4 hacking seems to be the lack of free flags / vars. Script editing is severely weakened without them.

Does anyone know any of solutions for this issue?

I'd love to write a tutorial for SDSME script and trainer editing to make it much more accessible- but without usable flags & vars I don't think it's worth it :/

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
One major impediment for gen 4 hacking seems to be the lack of free flags / vars. Script editing is severely weakened without them.

Does anyone know any of solutions for this issue?

I'd love to write a tutorial for SDSME script and trainer editing to make it much more accessible- but without usable flags & vars I don't think it's worth it :/

Mmmh, at the moment I can't help you, since I still have to implement the trainer editor...
As for the scripts, spiky simply implemented pichu2001 scripts editor (the one contained in the old NPRE)... What do you mean with "free flags"? Do you mean custom variables?

Years
  • Age 57
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
The hack I'm making is a nuzlocke for twitchplayspokemon by the way. (It gets ~1000 viewers during game runs.)

I only need script editing to add in healers around the map. reddit.com/3gq6ry (new user :/ )

Mmmh, at the moment I can't help you, since I still have to implement the trainer editor...
As for the scripts, spiky simply implemented pichu2001 scripts editor (the one contained in the old NPRE)...

Ah well. But the broken script writing should be a simple fix, right? I'm looking at the scripts narc in crystaltile and it seems like it should be easy to modify a script.

I would like to fix it myself but I know nothing about .NET.

Eventually sdsmse *(or it's successor) should support script editing for Platinum ROMs, so hopefully someone can fix this one day.

What do you mean with "free flags"? Do you mean custom variables?

I mean addresses usable from scripting- SetFlag 0x---/CheckFlag 0x---/etc that are not used by the game and 100% safe to use in hacks. Whenever I needed to use a flag I had to rob one from an in-game item.

That's kinda interesting. Would be neat to see a Foobar2000 version of that.
It makes grinding a lot more tolerable.

It's just a call to winamp from python. As long as the play call doesn't lag it should be easy to hook it up to anything.

Last edited:

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
Well, if you don't know, SDSME development has been officially stopped. Now I'm developing DS PokeHack Studio, a sort of "SDSME 2.0".
I still have to implement the scripts, but I want them to be compatible with every 4 gen rom, so you just have to wait for it ;)

For the flags whenever I'll finish with the basic features of the program, I could add the support (why not? ;) )

Years
  • Age 57
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
Well, if you don't know, SDSME development has been officially stopped. Now I'm developing DS PokeHack Studio, a sort of "SDSME 2.0".
I still have to implement the scripts, but I want them to be compatible with every 4 gen rom, so you just have to wait for it ;)
For the flags whenever I'll finish with the basic features of the program, I could add the support (why not? ;) )

Sounds promising- good luck!

For my current hack I will just have to struggle it out with a hex editor. But who knows, maybe I'd make another hack next year.

EDIT: Looks like sdsme is writing the modified script files properly into the extracted scripts folder- it just packs the old scripts into the ROM for some reason. I can pack the new scripts myself and it works fine! :D

I get this feeling like I'm the source of the error somehow :/ but I think I'm doing everything correctly... lol

Last edited:
Back