• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are some of the best and worst things about being a writer?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
In your opinion, that is~ I'm really curious to know what you guys feel are the best and worst things about being a writer!

For me...

Best: The best thing about being one for me is that I have a way to express myself. Because of being autistic, I tend to lack verbal and emotional expression at times. So, it's much easier for me to explain things in writing a lot more than any other way. That's probably one of the most rewarding things for me when it comes to writing.

Worst: Writer's Block. The hardest part for me is not knowing how to start anything. It's like, I really want to write... but I just can't seem to get anything out of my head in order to do it. That's why writer's block is such a pain for me because writing is something I'm very passionate about, and to be stuck with writer's block makes it feel horrible. :c

So, what about you guys? <3

Last edited:
Years
There's just something incredibly satisfying to me about creating a world and then exploring that world and the story it contains with my characters. Creating things feels good and this is an outlet where I can let all the millions of ideas constantly popping up in my head out and give them life.

The worst thing for me is writers block. Or, for me, I think it's more like communication breakdown. It's rare for me to run out of ideas but it's quite common for me to run into a wall where I can find the right way to express them. Those moments are unbelievable frustrating and the more frustrated I get the harder it gets to get those ideas out so it just creates a constant negative feedback loop.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
The best thing would be probably that I can make just about anything come to life. Any crazy idea I've got. Like cool futuristic stuff. Let's say cubes that teleport you to the future and the past? You got it! And also I love delving into emotions and relationships, trying to get better at that. Also, perfecting my writing. It's rewarding.

As for the worst thing, it's probably gotta be having so many ideas but being unable to plaster them into paper because I'm unable to articulate them well-enough. Related to this, forgetting these ideas. That's why I try to keep a notepad and write when I get a cool idea, but lots of times I forget to do that too, or I wave it off thinking I'll remember that idea, only for it to pop up a year later when I'm in bed...

Bay

Years
As a couple others said, being able to express yourself and having a created outlet for it are what makes writing most satisfying to me. Great to see how much progress and improvement you made on your projects.

Worse for me is just making time for it. A lot of folks would often say, "15 minutes will surface," but many times I'm unable to do that because of real life stuff going on and just not have the energy for it. Also comparing myself too much to other writers. I would read someone else's work, or someone get more recommendations, and then I'm like oh they're much better than me I can never write like that and feel no one cares about my writings.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Worse for me is just making time for it. A lot of folks would often say, "15 minutes will surface," but many times I'm unable to do that because of real life stuff going on and just not have the energy for it. Also comparing myself too much to other writers. I would read someone else's work, or someone get more recommendations, and then I'm like oh they're much better than me I can never write like that and feel no one cares about my writings.

Yeah, that's hard for me as well. For me, it's usually distraction. I get easily distracted by everything, and that often makes it really challenging for me as a writer. That's probably my greatest struggle at this point because I haven't really been able to focus. That, and with the upcoming holidays really throws me off course. Mostly because I want to write things that are related to Christmas. With making time for writing, that's also a challenge because I have a set routine due to autism. So, it's hard to make good time to write because my brain is like "oh play pokemon" right out of the blue. I find myself writing as little as possible lately because I want to mix things up in my routine.

Back