• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Art Critique & Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexJr Karnage

Shiver TheKid
Years
Lately on my free time i decided to make a theme of a Future PokeDex. I didn't have enough to open a Gallery so im assuming i must post here. This is still a work in Progress and its barely Version 1. Lots of changes will be made. Just toying at the moment. Just wanted to know what you all thought of v1.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
Lately on my free time i decided to make a theme of a Future PokeDex. I didn't have enough to open a Gallery so im assuming i must post here. This is still a work in Progress and its barely Version 1. Lots of changes will be made. Just toying at the moment. Just wanted to know what you all thought of v1.

it's very nicely done! it does look pretty large for a pokedex though!
the details on lucario is perfect. the shading is done nicely so it does look like we are looking down on the lucario.
the one thing that bothers me is the text. it's very hard to read since it is so close together. also, the pokedex is very dark. i would add some lighter contrasting colors.
so far so good!

DexJr Karnage

Shiver TheKid
Years
Thanks for the response back and your thoughts! If your speaking about the small little text in the boxes. That's meant to be like that for the time being lol. It was just a design to make it look "futuristic".

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Well, the person above me already had their art critiqued and I can't think of anything besides what's already been said. I hope it's okay if I just skip this part, because I really can't think of anything to say.

Okay, I've been thinking and I want to replace the word link in my signature to my fic, with an actual image. The problem is, I looked around and I don't think any of the shops really deal with custom, drawn images, so I decided to draw my own. This is my first time showing my drawings to anyone, and I have to admit I'm really nervous. I'm a writer after all, not much of a drawing type guy.

Anyway, tell me what I need to improve on my drawing overall. Keep in mind that my fic's main character is an alien. A reptilian, humanoid, alien, so that's what it's supposed to look like. The drawing might have come out a little creepy, which I don't want. I've been wanting to improve on my drawing skills, so I guess it's like killing two birds with one stone. Be constructive, I can take criticism, but don't be a jerk about it.
Spoiler:

The polka-dots were supposed to look something like scales. Did that turn out like I wanted it to?

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
Years
It's pretty nice actually! Not much issues with proportion(for me) but I think the pose is kind of awkward? You could change the pose a bit, I guess.
Since it's a reptilian humanoid thing, I guess the skin needs more details. The polka dot scales look okay but I think it would look better with a little more reptilian touches. I think you could also make the eyes look sharper, reptilian creatures usually have that intimidating look with sharp eyes. But I think that depends on the character you are aiming for though.
Then again, I think it's pretty good, just change the pose a bit :D

To keep the ball rolling~
Here's a bunch of drawings I made with the Game Notes on the 3DS. I am planning to get Colors 3D soon when I get the money for it >w<

Feel free anything you think I can improve on, I don't mind the criticism :)

Spoiler:

Also, I am h0tshot1025, I switched accounts now @w@

Years
I love how you use the red and blue as an accent in the first two drawings. The third though, has a bit much and would have fit better with the other two if you used less of the colors. Instead of the red hoodie, have it black and the strings/beads be red.
you have a good style though and I wouldnt mind seeing more of it ;)

I was playing around on gimp and eventually made a pokédex based on one of the iWatch designs, the Pokéwatch.

Spoiler:

Years
Residential New person here:
You guys have some talent! <3

I was looking for something on the pixel forum, but this is art too. I wanted to share this picture with you guys, and any KH Fans.

I linked the picture to my deviant art page. I honestly just did my best. Meet Mega Scrafy guys.

I could try making this 96x96 but I'd rather not xP I know shading is wrong, and what not. I never learned lighting 100% yet.
Anyhoot God Bless.

Years
Guys I apologize for this dual post, but today I'm looking for a critic.
http://i.imgur.com/zMPWyxS.png

The creature is loosely based on Naturia Beast. Admittedly this was by accident.
I would like it if some one could point out my errors, make a few fixes, or even a few words of encouragement. More over I would like raw opinions on the piece, and fixes to the backdrop and the character in the foreground. I admit to knowing nothing of art. I do wish I paid more time learning it traditionally, than focusing my time on manga pieces. Digital Painting is a new media to me.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 24, 2016
Drew my shiny Noivern Norbert, and decided to try and mimic the Sugimori style. Hopefully i pulled it off. First time iv atully tryed to draw in this style.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
something i threw together real quick i can not post links yet so its in my signature for now but wanted to show it off

Guys I apologize for this dual post, but today I'm looking for a critic.
http://i.imgur.com/zMPWyxS.png

The creature is loosely based on Naturia Beast. Admittedly this was by accident.
I would like it if some one could point out my errors, make a few fixes, or even a few words of encouragement. More over I would like raw opinions on the piece, and fixes to the backdrop and the character in the foreground. I admit to knowing nothing of art. I do wish I paid more time learning it traditionally, than focusing my time on manga pieces. Digital Painting is a new media to me.

beast man to be honest i love the dog like pokemon like arcanine as well as the 3 legendary dogs the pyroar things like that are awesome and looking at that one looks amazing keep it up

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
something i threw together real quick i can not post links yet so its in my signature for now but wanted to show it off

beast man to be honest i love the dog like pokemon like arcanine as well as the 3 legendary dogs the pyroar things like that are awesome and looking at that one looks amazing keep it up

Well assuming that your art is still your signature I'll just give my review here. I love it, you've got shading, proportion and a good color scheme. Were I to find one fault with it, it would appear to me that where the abdomen meets the back thigh seems to be off. Though that's probably because on the rare occasion that I draw my thighs are never at such an angle (i'm a very boring, artistically speaking.)

Drew my shiny Noivern Norbert, and decided to try and mimic the Sugimori style. Hopefully i pulled it off. First time iv atully tryed to draw in this style.

Spoiler:

I can find no fault with this image, or at least any fault other than it's not a vulpix. Good job Pangoro.

This is my first pixelated art, I'm hoping to be get good enough to design some buildings for my own pokemon game using rpgmaker and pokemon essentials (all the other tilesets just never clicked with me. It's still a work in progress and the top frontal roof tiles were by lotus king (the diagonal ones I designed on the same concept). This house I was hoping to base off a romanesque design (historically accurate since some romans did use glass windows) Please note, I do not like the door or the windows, and they are subject to change.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years

Spoiler:

That's really good, although there is one thing which I think could be improved.

To me, it seems like the perspective of the head / ears is slightly off. Maybe I'm wrong but this is what I see / would change:

Spoiler:
Maybe I'm wrong, I have a weird way of looking at things.

Anyway; this is my current WIP:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Picture 11.jpg
So this is Gallberaptor, it's a grass/rock type pokemon based on... well a raptor if it wasn't obvious enough. anyways, I drew him in like 45 minutes but I'm already very confident about it, despite the fact that it looks like Sceptile according to some people (dunno if it's true, but I didn't base Gallberaptor of Sceptile anyways) so yeah, what do you think, does Gallberaptor need some improvement, be sure to let me know. thanks :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
@Somniac, your anatomy is really spectacular in your work. Just keep in mind when you're finishing it that the human body has a lot of different shades and tones. As she is right now, she looks rather two dimensional. Make sure you really give her depth! I'm just astounded by how delicious her legs look omg.

@bartyboy6, I really, really love the shape and profile of your fakemon. The size of the tail relative to the rest of the body is very reminiscent of those small, carnivorous dinosaurs (who's name totally escapes me right now). That said, I think you may want to narrow out it's feet a bit, if that dinosaur was your inspiration for the design. It's lower body makes it look very stalky, slow, and heavy, where everything else tells me it's a lean, fast, and muscular creature.

Oh, and I don't think it looks like Sceptile at all. :) So don't worry about that.

Crady

It ain't even bright in here
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 26, 2016
@bartyboy6 Hmm, from what I see you've drawn I think my favourite thing would be Gallberaptor's posture from that drawing. The only thing I think you need to work on is the tail, I find it a tad too big and he might just fall :( But everything else is great! Just keep practicing.

So I couldn't find any threads here/shops that did signatures (by signatures I mean tags) I've never done this sort of thing before so... yeah, I know I probably should've used a more "visual" fractal/C4D but I just couldn't find one that would blend in :/

Tips are greatly appreciated!

l6fB9pR.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Okay, I really don't want to delete two posts, but the rules of this thread state that you must critique the art of the above poster, so please go back and edit your posts or I'll have to delete them. :(

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 20, 2019
Alright firs of all I hope this is not considered gravedigging but it's the only thread with this kind of topic and I felt like making a new one would not be considered good manners.

Now as for the art piece above me
l6fB9pR.jpg

I really like the whole theme of it. I'm never able to get a good "background" flow going when I'm making singatres but you certanitly seem to do:D But I would blur the mon a bit more below the head maybe even the head a bit. It just seems quite sharp.

Now here is my piece of art that I just threw together today. It's a bit of traditional work and it was my first time trying to color some of my art.
Spoiler:

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Yes, this is definitely grave digging, however a new thread like this would be awesome to have.

Anyways, I'll critique it anyways. It definitely looks really nice, and a lot of it is nice and crisp. However, you seem to have some parts that still have that sketch look to it, especially the right side of his hat. Just work on some of those parts that don't look as clean cut, and you'll be golden.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Yeah, unfortunately this is technically necroposting. :( But I'm not going to deal out any warnings or infractions. The idea of this thread was the "everyone's gallery", so you'd update at your leisure and since A&D doesn't consider a gallery owner bumping a gallery an offense, it's theoretically okay for anyone to revive this. How'd you like that circular logic? B)

I'm going to rehash this thread, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back