• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Ho-Oh or Lugia?

Ho-Oh or Lugia?

• [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/0f/Spr_2c_249.gif[/img]

Votes: 59 72.0%
  • [img]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/c/cb/Spr_2c_250.gif[/img]

Votes: 23 28.0%

• Total voters

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
250.png
249.png

Pokemon Gold and Silver mark the first time a legendary would be used as the box mascot, and would set the standard for all main games (as of now) to follow. Both of them had some heavy back story in their respective games, and both of them look pretty bad ass. So the question here is which one do you like better? The majestic beast of the sea, Lugia, or the rainbow bird, Ho-Oh? Or are they just too great to choose one?

I personally have always preferred Lugia over Ho-Oh. Even though I like Fire types much more, The Power of One pulled me over to Lugia. I used to pretend I was a baby Lugia when I would go swimming, lol. And obviously Ho-Oh couldn't swim... :P So that answers that for me! But I think they're both great legendaries and they look fantastic.

Last edited:

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Game-wise, I always thought Lugia's Aeroblast was like one of the most boss things ever, and that gave me a real vibe that Lugia was something awesome. Ho-oh didn't have the same feeling, and I do prefer Lugia's more simplistic design.

The Power of One is really the icing on the cake, because it sets Lugia apart as something else, something with a caring understanding and makes it a truly unique legendary. What has Ho-oh had in the anime? A random sighting in the first episode, and then again in one of the last in the original series?

Lugia really resonates more with me, plus I got Silver because I liked it better way back when. Lugia it is for me.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
While I think Ho-oh is more majestic then Lugia. I prefer Lugiamore then Ho-oh even though I do like both of them. Lugia became oneof my all time favorite Pokemon after I saw the Power of One. I alsogot Silver Version before I got Gold Version.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
They are both awesome, but Lugia is my favourite. Not only did he get his own movie, but he also feels like the more... what's the word... majestic? I don't know but he has an aura around him. Besides that, the nostalgia level with him is through the roof.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
In GSC, although I prefer Lugia in HGSS, I much prefer Ho-Oh. Mainly due to the fact of its sprite. It's colourful and lively and I definitely think that's what any legendary should be! Plus the nostalgic factor having played Gold instead of Silver or Crystal maintains a heavy role on influencing my preference as well.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Lugia, the master of the sea. For competitive reasons, and also for a design reason. Also because it's the emblem of the awesome Silver game.

Years
Always thought that it was awesome that we got to see Ho-oh well before any other Johto Pokemon thanks to the anime, but Lugia will always hold a special place in my heart thanks to a Lugia vs. Lugia battle that I had against my cousin when I was younger.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Ohh I love ho oh much more than lugia. He seems so much more... I guess or could say godlike... no how about magestic. He's much more magestic than lugia and it feels so much more worthwhile in gold when I reach the top of tin tower and i am staring at the face of death, or something like that. I can just imagine reaching the top, hearing the wind blowing, and walking up to this massive red bird.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Considering Silver Version was the first game I fully played through to the end, along with my first lv. 100, I definitely prefer Lugia.

And, it just looks cooler lol.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
As much as I do love Ho-Oh, I'll always choose Lugia. Just like the mascots of Silver & SoulSilver, because the Silvers actually has more of my favorite pokemon on their respectable games also. I adore. Not to mention he doesn't have a 4x weakness, which Ho-Oh does. I much prefer Aeroblast over Sacred Fire, as I like Special moves better than Physical overall.

Lugia, the guardian of the sea, would for sure have a water type as a third typing. Even though some think it actually IS a water type, which it isn't LOL. So Lugia wins in every aspect for me, with the exception of the design which would be a draw there.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
Even though I purchased SoulSilver, I prefer Ho-Oh by a considerable amount. She just seems so majestic and ancient, and kind of mysterious. Her design is less plain than Lugia's (although Lugia's design is still kickass) and she sort of stands out among other legendaries to me. Battle-wise, I don't really know. They're both legendary so they should both help your team out a lot lol.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

If I can't choose Suicune, then obviously Lugia. ;-P

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm pretty sure I picked Silver over Gold when I got them both for my birthday because of Lugia. That said, I've always preferred Lugia. I can't really think of anything that Ho-Oh has that Lugia doesn't to me other than being colorful, but I like Lugia's colors just as much.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
It's easily Ho-oh for me. It's the reason I choose Pokemon Gold way back when.

I've always felt Lugia was overrated.

Bleacher

Chaos Worshipper
Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2013
Even though I played all Gen II games, Ho-oh was the pokemon I considered the best of that Gen. He was the part of my All Legends team, and he rocked. All my friends were Lugia fans, I challenged them 1 on 1, and Ho-oh everytime kicked Lugia's ass.

My Ho-oh had Sacred Fire, Earthquake, Thunder bolt and Recover. Combine that moveset with 350+ Sp. Attack and 300+ Attack and that massive speed, do you think anyone out of the 251 other than Mewtwo can stand against him. Huh?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Lugiaaaaaa ♥ I don't like Fire types so that's an instant bonus for Lugia, but I just think it's such a majestic and powerful Pokémon that it deserves some recognition. Ho-Oh is a Pokémon that I've always seen as being somewhat bland tbh, it doesn't really have that many interesting features about it other than looking like a rainbow, so I'd definitely go with Lugia as a favourite. Also in a battle, I think I know which would win. Hydro Pump vs Sacred Fire? ;)

Years
I always liked Luiga more for two reasons. For one I had the silver game as a kid, so that played a huge part in the decision. The other reason is that Ho-Oh has just such a stupid name.

However, I had to draw both of them recently and when I paid attention to the details Ho-Oh looked somehow so much more awesome than I had always given it credit for (and I would constantly mess up Lugia), that I now think they are both great. Still voting for Lugia, though. ^^

Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2012
Lugia is the shizznazz. And Ho-Oh doesn't even look like a real pokemon haaha :p

Sadly, I had gold :\

Back