• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The future of Pokemon - More generations?

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2007
I keep pondering this, ever since I started looking into the release of Diamond and Pearl.

So here we have a decent amount of new Legendary Pokemon, in particular Arceus.

From what I've read, Arceus is based off of Pangu, an equine legend/deity of sorts. In the Canalave library, that book talks about Arceus:

"In the beginning, there was only a churning turmoil of chaos. At the heart of the chaos, where all things became one, appeared an Egg. Having tumbled from the vortex, the Egg gave rise to the Original One. From itself, two beings the Original One did make. Time started to spin. Space began to expand. From itself, three living things the Original One did make. The two beings wished, and from them, matter came to be. The three living things wished, and from them, spirit came to be. The world created, the Original One took to unyielding sleep..."

And according to flavor text about Arceus, he created the universe.

So basically, we have Mew, the ancestor of all Pokemon. We have Dialga, master of Time. Palkia, master of Space. Darkrai and Cresselia, who are foils for one another (Darkrai putting people into seemingly neverending sleep accompanied by nightmares, Cresselia being the antagonist to Darkrai). It would appear that Shaymin is almost like a deity of fertility, since it is supposedly the reason behind Floaroma going from a desolate wasteland to the beautiful place it is in the games.

What I'm getting at, is that as much as I love Pokemon, I'm not sure how they'll be able to pump out more, especially legendaries. For general purposes, they've created a God as a Pokemon. Arceus created the universe. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, Celebi is partly in control of Time. Kyogre for Sea, Groudon for Land, Rayquaza for Sky.

I'm wondering how much can be done at this point with Pokemon, especially legendaries.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 2, 2021
With internet connectivity on the newest games, and all these legendaries, I think this generation will last longer than all the rest.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2007
I agree, this generation will definitely last for quite some time. Maybe in all the extra time they'll come up with more ideas as to what to make for Generation V, if there is to be one.

SilverDragon

--Anime Fan--
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 11, 2009
Lol tru of what powurz said, i cant think of any other types of pokemons that can be made...cept a thunder/dragon? 0.o

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I agree also, they should make more duel types, I've list the following they can still come up with

Bug/Dark
Bug/Dragon
Bug/Electric
Bug/Fire
Bug/Ice
Bug/Normal
Bug/Psychic
Dark/Dragon (really good one)
Dark/Electric (should of made Luxray/Renatoraa this)
Dark/Fighting
Dark/Ground
Dark/Normal
Dark/Psychic
Dark/Steel
Dragon/Electric (just like what SilverDragon said)
Dragon/Fire
Dragon/fighting
Dragon/Grass
Dragon/Ice
Dragon/Normal
Dragon/Poison
Electric/Fighting (should have been Electrive)
Electric/Fire
Electric/Grass
Electric/Ground
Electric/Ice
Electric/Normal
Electric/Psychic
Electric/Poison
Fighting/Fire
Fighting/Flying
Fighting/Ghost
Fighting/Ground
Fighting/Ice
Fighting/Normal
Fighting/Rock

I dont want to name all of the combos in this post

:t354:tatsujin gosuto

Bishopk

meow :)
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
I think they should just reuse the old legends, but with a new story. Or make one huge story with all of the legends (but the catch is, you can only catch half of them or something, making you buy both versions ;) )

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
Years
I'm not sure how they'll be able to pump out more, especially legendaries. For general purposes, they've created a God as a Pokemon. Arceus created the universe. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon, Celebi is partly in control of Time. Kyogre for Sea, Groudon for Land, Rayquaza for Sky.
They´ll simply create more when they need.
Kyogre an Co. aren´t the first pokemon of ocean, sky, etc:

Lugia and Kyogre - Ocean/Sea
Ho-oh and Rayquaza - Sky
Celebi and Dialga - Time
Deoxys and Palkia - Space

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
Years
You forgot the "Titans of Fire, Ice, and Lightning."

One of the second best quotes in the game.

They can't create a Satanic Pokemon, parents would kill.

But just imagine, a never ending battle between [insert satanic pokemonname here] and Arceus fighting over the fate of existence.

I love it already.

Lihinel

so what?
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2008
You know how Romans had more gods, than a year has days and how there are so many religions out there and how they all claim their own word as truth?
(ah well, most of them not as loud as those 3 book religions, but that's another story)

Besides the fact, that they may make legendaries out of anything and just quote them to be god of x, or titan of y, or protector of z?

And how they could make just a couple of 10^3 bug Pokemon like Caterpie and Weedle.
For Regions, remember, that they haven't even used 50% of the Japanese map to make new regions based on it.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
Years
Maybe in The New Generation (Generation V)
they will make legendary that is based on human feelings or negative energy like
Firey: Firey said once created Fire in peoples heart
Icy: Icy is once said that it created Coldness in peoples heart
Grassy: Grassy is said to stop Firey and Icy from Polluting peoples heart,It is said that it created Love in peoples heart.
Maybe that will happen....I'm not really good at making names but you understand O.o

Years
I thought that Kyogre made the sea...Of course the could still be true desptie Manaphy being higher in the "Chain of Command". Manaphy is probably a sea guardian or...something I haven't seen the movie, yet.

and also I don't think that Lugia and Ho-oh have sky and water, they're just...the two 2nd most powerful pokemon next to Arceus. And they should have a bigger role in the games... Also we're forgetting Regigigas! He created continental drift! "It is said in legends that Regigigas towed the continents with ropes" or something like that (his dex entry).

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
Years
So I guess Suicune, Entei and Raikou just slipped peoples minds?

What are Latias and Latios in control of, I thought it was emotions or something.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
I don't think Pokemon will end anytime soon.

Sugimori himself said that he's had thousands of ideas for Pokemon planned out since the Red/Blue days (even Shellos was originally going to be in Ruby/Sapphire), so we've got quite a few generations ahead of us.

Legend-wise?

They could probably get some Pokemon that rule over other planets, or even a Pokemon that can completely control the existence of any specific object (I don't see Arceus as being able to change anything anyways). Who knows? Sugimori could even think of something as awesome as a legendary trio consisting of a Dolphin, a Bison, and even an Orangutan to fight against some creature from space (not Deoxys/Jiraci). Only time (or Nintendo) will tell.

~Diggeh

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I would love to see some generations. I just think that they should come up with a few more ideas and be a little more creative with the kind of pokemon they make. They need to use some more animals! For example, I'd love to see a dolphin pokemon.

Nicku

//[N]ICKU::
Years
Gret theard =o Really like it xD
Anyway..

What about Giratina? What is he's 'role' or what you call it xD ? - If he have one ._.

- Nicku

Dudedude

I am the Johto Man
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2007
He is the rebel...Either against Pokemon and Arceus thats Y he hides in a self-changing cAVE THat Spells out E-V-I-L. or he could be a rebel against humanity..Same reason.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
All they need is for some new ideas. Like Bomberman said, the wait between D/P and the next generation, if there'll (hopefully) be one, will probably be pretty long. But creating up Pokemon shouldn't be a problem for them. In a Nintendo Power interview, Ken Sugimori said that the Pokemon they make "are meant to grow on you," which is true. At first, I thought "Oh, these don't look like Pokemon! They're running out of ideas." Now, after seeing them in the context of D/P and getting used to them, I think, "Oh, that's just another one of those Pokemon" like I do with all the rest. Over the span of several long years, they're sure to think up some new ideas for legendaries. Although I would like it if some of the oldies returned and they stopped making so many new legendaries.

Also, there are many things that they could improve on for future generations of the Pokemon games themselves (no Friend Code limitations, perhaps?)

darkphoenixdude

Phoenix Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2009
Unfortunately, seen as the "god" Pokemon has been created, I think the generation games are now finalized and finished :'( Which is really bad news - duh! Arceus is the ultimate legendary seen as it has created everything. I think there might be an itsy bitsy chance that there might be a generation based on evil or something, to counter arceus. Like the god of creation, vs the god of destruction..of pokemon of destruction..whatever :p

Other than that, I think there will just be more small games like Pokemon Ranger and stuff like that.

Back