• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tabletop Games News and Discussion

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
As the title states, this is a general thread to introduce and discuss recent news in the tabletop gaming world. In my case, I'll mostly focus on bushiroad's card games, so Weiss Schwarz and Vanguard, and maybe try and spur discussion on upcoming magic/ygo sets when i hear about them, though my knowledge is limited on that side at the moment. I may also do some wargaming and roleplaying stuff as well.

Not so much rules, as much as general guidelines
1. Make sure someone hasn't posted your news already, though it's ok to renew it as a topic, especially if something new is revealed.
2. Source and reference isn't required, though it is always helpful.
3. Lots of news updates can get hectic, make sure you note which news you're responding to.
4. As long as your new post contains news, double-posting is allowed.

To start with, we have a Vanguard and Yugioh set coming out this weekend, being Banquet of Divas and Abyss Rising respectively. In addition, there's been a recent Yugioh Tin release everyone's been trying to get their hands on.

Last edited:

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
Abyss Rising's TCG exclusives are largely terrible, with the notable exception of Abyss Dweller, which is actually pretty good (though Genex Sea Emperor Mermail will likely run Snowdust Giant instead anyway). I really like all of the WATER-exclusive rank 4 Xyzs, actually; Snowdust Giant, Bahamut Shark, and this are all strong candidates for that single bullet rank 4 slot in GSEM. (Comparatively, rank 3s are more important because of Atlantean Marksman and the ease of leftover Undines and or Abysslindes, but.)

Cosmo Blazer, however, has a variety of nice things, including the potentially-good-but-bad-right-now Heraldic Beasts, the very interesting Haze Beasts, the Flaming Star archetype (which I've brewed but I feel to be only okay), and Pyrorex the Elemental Lord; most of the additional Mermail support is pretty terrible though ... Abyss-Cetus might be playable as a singleton.

Of some competitive interest also is Orbital 7, which serves as a brilliant Machine Duplication target to use to make a 3-material Xyz with (free stuff is always cool). My friend pointed this card out to me (I'd previously overlooked it) and it is actually very nice; you can make Radiant Photon Paradios with it too! (And we all know how good that is ...) Something might be brewed with this card and Cyber Valley in the near(?) future (with Lightray Sorcerer too, perhaps).

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Abyss Rising's TCG exclusives are largely terrible, with the notable exception of Abyss Dweller, which is actually pretty good (though Genex Sea Emperor Mermail will likely run Snowdust Giant instead anyway). I really like all of the WATER-exclusive rank 4 Xyzs, actually; Snowdust Giant, Bahamut Shark, and this are all strong candidates for that single bullet rank 4 slot in GSEM. (Comparatively, rank 3s are more important because of Atlantean Marksman and the ease of leftover Undines and or Abysslindes, but.)

Cosmo Blazer, however, has a variety of nice things, including the potentially-good-but-bad-right-now Heraldic Beasts, the very interesting Haze Beasts, the Flaming Star archetype (which I've brewed but I feel to be only okay), and Pyrorex the Elemental Lord; most of the additional Mermail support is pretty terrible though ... Abyss-Cetus might be playable as a singleton.

Of some competitive interest also is Orbital 7, which serves as a brilliant Machine Duplication target to use to make a 3-material Xyz with (free stuff is always cool). My friend pointed this card out to me (I'd previously overlooked it) and it is actually very nice; you can make Radiant Photon Paradios with it too! (And we all know how good that is ...) Something might be brewed with this card and Cyber Valley in the near(?) future (with Lightray Sorcerer too, perhaps).
IMO, I think Slushy is good Sea Serpent support, even though it does take some time to set up. Bahamut Shark is also good for dragging Acid Golem from the Extra Deck, then Creature Swapping it over to the opponent.

I also like how Cosmo Blazer included the rest of Vetrix's/Tron's Heraldic Beasts to the OCG to make Heraldic King Genom-Heritage more playable, since Aberconway and Berner's Falcon weren't enough pre-Cosmo Blazar, IMO. Pyrorex might give some previous FIRE decks, like Lavals, more love. Flaming Stars and Haze Beasts do seem interesting, though.

And I also find it hard to believe that they made Kite's/Kaito's robot assistant into a card. And it's also good Galaxy and Photon support too, and it can be Tributed for Galaxy-Eyes in a pinch.

Cirrus

dreaming a transient dream.
Years
Photon decks are kind of bad, but yes, if they weren't bad then Orbital 7'd be okay as a tutor. The Heraldic Beasts have interesting utility but no real way to make the engine work (they have some nice support cards, definitely, though). Flaming Stars is basically Horn of the Phantom Beast MK-II: beat things in battle, get advantage. Pyrorex, like every other Elemental Lord (including Dark Armed Dragon the Elemental Lord), is very good by itself as long as you can summon it (though there's no other remotely playable FIRE deck other than Lavals, so...).

Slushy sucks. The entire reason it's bad is because it takes too long to setup and is completely useless without playing more useless cards. Genex Atlantean Mermail cannot forgive this decline in card quality, and there aren't really any good level 5+ Sea Serpents to summon anyway (Abyssmegalo really doesn't count :s).

Years
Special editions for Abyss Rising have been announce and are Gagaga Girl and Dark Smog.

So, Konami are reprinting an easy to get secret and promoting Dark World? I am sad. :(
But, after the massive reprints not too long ago, I am not really that bothered.​

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
On the Weiss Schwarz side, upcoming Original shortshorts A-1 anime, Vividred Operation, has been confirmed as getting a set in 2013. Doesn't really say anything about the anime or the set, so the only thing that can be grabbed from this is that most of the Trial Deck cards will be production art, while the actual set will have cards relevant to actual plot.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 12, 2018
Vanguard's first restrictions since Barcgal was banned as Starting Vanguard has been released. Valid January 1, 2012 for the JAPANESE version only. It is unknown if it will be brought over and how soon the banhammer will hit.

With effect from the 1st of January 2013, for the Japanese version of Cardfight!! Vanguard, the cards in the following list will be restricted to up to a total of two cards in the deck (including the starting vanguard).

Restriction list for Japanese Vanguard
<Royal Paladin>
King of Knights, Alfred
Majesty Lord Blaster
Wingal Brave

<Kagero>
Lizard Soldier, Conroe
Dragonic Overlord the End

<Oracle Think Tank>
Silent Tom
Godhawk, Ichibyoshi
Goddess of the Full Moon, Tsukuyomi

*This includes all cards of the same name with different rarities or arts.

Example:

OK:
King of Knights, Alfred x 2
OK:
Majesty Lord Blaster x 1,
Wingal Brave x 1
(This is OK because the TOTAL is two)

Not OK: Majesty Lord Blaster x 2,
Wingal Brave x 1
Not OK: Dragonic Overlord the End x 2,
Lizard Soldier, Conroe x 1

Barcgal still can not be used as the First Vanguard
Example:

This basically takes down the 3 big beat decks, Majesty Lord, The End, and Tsukuyomi. The fact that it's combined 2 makes it hurt even more, since you'll only be able to run 1 Majesty if you run Wingal Brave. Limiting The End also means that the ability will only be able to run once, and Tsukuyomi just got tanked with only being able to run 1 for the ride chain effectively.

Changes aside from running the cards in twos is probably that the Kagero and Royal starting vanguards will change to the Top 5 -> Grade 3 vanguards to help get a better search. For the Oracles, they get hit a little harder. For the ones not running Tsukuyomi, the hit is actually pretty good cuz Silent Tom is a pretty good card with it's defense denial. For those that are, I can see them running the first two parts of the chain for the deck stacking and maybe shifting to the Amaterasu and Sakuya.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just so anyone knows, some cards from Yu-Gi-Oh's upcoming Lord of the Tachyongalaxy excluding Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon, have been revealed. These cards include Rank-Up Magic - Barian's Force, the ZEXAL equivalent of The Seal of Orichalcos in terms of plot device items, as well as some cards used by the main antagonists of ZEXAL II, the Phantom Beast Plane monsters and Harpie support.

So, what does anyone think? Personally, I'm happy that Harpies got some love, and the Phantom Beast planes look cool, IMO.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Harpie support? REALLY?!

Omgggggg thank youuuuuuu.

I'm so happy to hear that! I had my harpie deck for about 4 years now. And I still love it! Sometimes it beats my friend's Inzektor deck but sometimes I'm dissapointed because they don't have much support since Konami focused more on other decks than harpie.

But now, with the new booster. People will fear harpies once again :D

Back