• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The price of a pretty face...

von Weltschmerz

the first born unicorn
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2013
With the advent of new technology, you can now look exactly how you want to look--with no scarring or painful surgery. The only catch is that the process has a side effect and shortens your life by a year for every feature you change. Would you use? And how far would you go?

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I don't think I could make this decision. At the end of my life I might feel like it's time to go and that one year wouldn't essentially make a difference. On the other hand, life is life, probably wouldn't risk it.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I don't think I would do anything. If the choice remained for all of my life, I might keep myself from ever changing anything. Because I would end up being fed up with life at some point and changing dumb stuff, just to shorten it. Or at least I would be really tempted to.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
No, I'm perfectly fine the way I am. I don't need to change my appeareance whatsoever. Plus I won't even know when I will die, what if I would die in 2 years and I took that surgery? I would have less than a year to live only for one small change. I wouldn't think it's worth it.

Years
No, Im just fine the way I am, why should I sacrifice part of my life for beauty, we're all unique, I want to look how I look.

Years
Not to sound vain or anything, but if I was looking to change something I don't think one year off my lifespan is going to deter me. Generally speaking we all live to be pretty old these days, to a point where one year isn't asking too much for a flawless surgery.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I would use it to reconstruct my eyebrows, my chin, my jaw, and my nose. I assume even the tiniest change shortens my life? I don't know how long I'm going to live anyway, so chopping off any number of years lower than 10 isn't really that big of a deal to me. That sounds pretty bold of me and like I take life for granted, but whatever.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The only thing I could see myself changing is my chin...it tenses up when my mouth is closed and makes me look angry. I didn't realize it did that till last year, and I was always wondering why people would look at me when I was thinking about something and I felt like my face was relaxed and they'd say, "Why are you mad? What's wrong?" and I was just thinking "wtf i'm relaxed get your eyes checked" lol :(

I'm too scared to go off changing things though so I'll deal with the chin and just keep my mouth half open a lot...or something.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Hmm tough to say because i dont know what sort of years will be my last.. will they be lonely or painful? Or happy?

Either way.. i would either change my breasts, height, or skin..but i dont think I'd want to knock off more than a year if even that. I'd say I've probably spent about a year's worth of time feeling absolutely poopy about these aspects of myself anyways.. so in a sense, a year has already been taking off my life just being upset about these things. Why spend even more time brooding over them?

Anyways.. Before maybe a year or so ago, this wouldn't have mattered much.. but when i think of how much time any of us really have..it s a fraction of an eyeblink.. and its hard for me to swallow the fact that it includes time spent with loved ones.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I wouldn't change a thing, I'd much rather spend the time living. There are some things that I really hate about the way I look but there's nothing I hate enough to shorten my life by a whole year to change it. A year is a long time and absolutely anything could happen during that time and whilst we only live once (probably!), I'd rather see it out to the end that I'm supposed to rather than risk shortening it at all.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I wouldn't do it since there is a price I would have to pay for changing. I don't like the idea of reducing my life just so I can change a part of me that I don't like. If it had no consequences , I'd change my voice to make it lower. However, I could never do that if it would sacrifice a part of my lifespan.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I wouldn't do it. I instantly think about not being with other family and friends, I would never change my lifespan for it, only if there were no consequences.

Years
I'd like the chance to change things, but I wouldn't want to take years off my life to do it. I'm not totally against shortening my life, but I guess I'd just want a better deal for what I'm giving. Like one year of my life for all the changes I'd want. That's something I could do.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Life is much more important to me than vanity. I'd rather live longer than sell a year for vanity. You know some people like celebrities would totally buy into this though.

Tranca

Monolith
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
I wouldn't use it. Being vain is bad. Additionally, this doesn't sound like a realistic scenario.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Do teeth count? Because I hate my teeth and would love to get rid of these braces and everything else that is horrible about them. I would probably get rid of a year of life for that. But as for anything else no. i'm fine the way i am.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I wouldn't do this at all, there's a lot of other ways to improve appearance that don't have repercussions like that ;(

Besides, I'm really happy with how I look, I've been pretty fortunate as far as genetics go, or at least that's what I like to believe.

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
Years
I'm probably gonna sound like a shallow idiot for saying this but I probably would use it. I've never been confident with the way I look. Sometimes I fear that with my looks I won't be able to find a girl to love me, and I'll have to spend the rest of my life alone. A few years shorter of a life with a wife > a few years longer life being alone and miserable, imo.

Back