• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Pokemon Monorpale/Hitotsuki/Honedge!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I must honestly say that I very much like Honedge. For starters, I'm just in love with its typing. A Ghost-Steel dual type is probably one of the most awesome combinations out there. Only weak to Ground and Fire. I'm kind of guessing that it's going to end up with Levitate for some reason, so if that were to happen it'd only have a Fire weakness. Defensively it's typing is fantastic, offensively not so much, but if it had the attacking stats to back it up it'd be awesome.

j_Woo

Patnogonian
Years
I don't mean to contradict what you've seen on other places, but at least on this thread for the most part, people who haven't liked Honedge haven't been called out for it. c: Or where you talking about here specifically? XD

I didn't mean this thread xD This forum is usually pretty good about opinion-based stuff c: I meant places like youtube, facebook, 4chan etc. Everyone is just kinda snapping back and forth with "you like it so you're a ******" or "you don't like it so you're a genwunner" it's pretty annoying

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
As a kid I was always bothered by things like that...though I do think that's the way it'll go.
I hope that Honedge get's some decent ghost moves that match it's stats. I don't see it as a special attacker so shadow ball wouldn't do it much good...

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I'm kind of expecting a new kind of physical Ghost type move that Honedge would be able to use. Something like Shadow Claw, just...more powerful? Shadow Slice or Shadow Slash perhaps? It'd be cool for it to have some more useful physical Ghost type attacks that it'd be able to use (assuming that its stats lean more to a physical attacker, that is).

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Eh, I don't like this one at all. This generation is looking like a mixed bag at this point (to me, at least). I never really liked the whole "choose an object, make it alive, THIS IS YER NEW POGEYMAN" thing. Eh, at least (so far, at least) this generation doesn't look remotely as bad as generation 5.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
The game is for children, they won't care if it makes any sense.

I've always felt that was a poor excuse (apart from the fact I wouldn't say Pokemon is a game "for children"). You can't wave off laziness in design (in this case, Honedge eating by simply making chewing sounds without any further explanation) simply because people have the preconceived notion something has to be incredibly stupid for it to be appealing for little kids. Like Magmaruby & Aquasapphire said, I as a child was always irked by holes in logic like those. Not only that, but media can be entertaining for younger audiences while still providing depth for older ones; Young Justice (the first season, anyway) comes to mind as an example.

Even if Gamefreak ends up taking the easy way out (they probably will, I do admit), I wouldn't like it, hehe.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I've always felt that was a poor excuse (apart from the fact I wouldn't say Pokemon is a game "for children"). You can't wave off laziness in design (in this case, Honedge eating by simply making chewing sounds without any further explanation) simply because people have the preconceived notion something has to be incredibly stupid for it to be appealing for little kids. Like Magmaruby & Aquasapphire said, I as a child was always irked by holes in logic like those. Not only that, but media can be entertaining for younger audiences while still providing depth for older ones; Young Justice (the first season, anyway) comes to mind as an example.

Even if Gamefreak ends up taking the easy way out (they probably will, I do admit), I wouldn't like it, hehe.

It is neither lazy nor is it an easy way out. Do they need a reason to explain it? No they don't. It being for children isn't an excuse either. The target audience for Pokemon has been, and forever shall be children. Its made for children whether the target that buys it remains the wanted target has absolutely nothing to do with it. Them not going out of their way to explain something that needs not to be explained isn't them being lazy. Whether or not you like how they do it is irrelevant. They don't need to explain it. All they need to do is have them move as if they are eating. Its appeared in games in the past even if they aren't all by Gamefreak.

Having to go around and exclude the Pokemon just because a few people don't like it is an unnecessary exclusion and not worth the time and effort to go through and exclude those Pokemon from the Pokemon-Amie coding.

You get to pet Pokemon. I haven't seen anyone complain about being able to pet Rotom or Slugma in Pokemon-Amie either. Rotom is pure Plasma while Slugma is supposedly made of lava if not as hot as lava which would still make it too hot to touch...then you have Ferroseed who is full of spikes and Grimer/Muk which is poisonous sludge that is supposed to be dangerous (yet Pokemon can "bite" them without any harm happening)

There have been many inconsistencies that make less sense, this isn't even worth wrapping our heads around it because its not that big a deal. It doesn't effect the game play. As for eating...I'd like to bring up Pokeblock and Poffins. They had to eat those before...its no different now than it was then.

piefara

human
Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2013
some pokemon can just not eat. it isn't very hard!

some pokemon in amie don't even make sense like ferrothorn and gastly how can you pet them?
game freak are smart (usely) they will think of something

Nakala Pri

Um... that is pretty stupid. A ghost sword jumping at you in tall grass. I mean, how dumb! >:c What the heck's hell would somebody do with that? And wouldn't it just slice off other Pokemon's body parts during battle?

Stab Pikachu in the guts, cut off Hitmonlee's arms and when it jumps on it's trainer, expecting a hug, well... there is one less trainer in the world. xD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Um... that is pretty stupid. A ghost sword jumping at you in tall grass. I mean, how dumb! >:c What the heck's hell would somebody do with that? And wouldn't it just slice off other Pokemon's body parts during battle?

Stab Pikachu in the guts, cut off Hitmonlee's arms and when it jumps on it's trainer, expecting a hug, well... there is one less trainer in the world. xD

Its no different than running into s Scyther back in Gen 1 who has two swords for arms and can be found in various ways in the wild. What would someone do with it? I dunno...catch and train it for battles. Gamefreak also won't do anything graphic. Not that nothing similar hasn't been done since Gen 1.

shadowdueler474

Muffins for all!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 25, 2014
I sorta like Honedge. The design is very meh to me but, the typing is cool. I hope that there will be much more ghost types this gen.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years

Honestly, ^this does irritate me a bit, but I understand your discomfort. Something sharp can obviously lead to dismembered parts an all that, but considering that there are many others that have parts that technically could ripped you apart in unpleasing ways. Mawile, for example, Deceiver Pokemon, crush you in it's jaws. Scyther, dual-blade wielding mantis. This isn't technically new to the franchise and Game Freak can but in whatever is need for them. No one else is complaining over the existence of Scyther and the like.

nimbo

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Eh...maybe it'll grow on me, but right now I am not liking it at all.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
I think this is new pokemon is Nintendo's way of converting all japanese kids into samurai's. Just like the ice cream pokemon making American's fat and the trash bag pokemon becoming detroit.

On a more serious note. The design is not bad, at least they are trying something different. I kind of like the idea of a ghost sword.

thedhp

TheDavidPearson
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Oct 21, 2016
I'm actually pretty disappointed in the type. I really wanted to see a fairy/steel Dragon buster based off of a Knight. This would have been a perfect lead in to it. Starts off as a sword and ends up a kick butt Knight. Just sayin'

Years
I'd like it more if the fact that it's a ghost possessing the sword was a little more obvious, design wise. More ghostly, less inanimate object.

thedhp

TheDavidPearson
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Oct 21, 2016
I'd like it more if the fact that it's a ghost possessing the sword was a little more obvious, design wise. More ghostly, less inanimate object.

Have you seen the pictures of it out of its sheath? It's pretty ghost-like then. I like it that way a lot better actually. It makes it seem more Pokemon like and less like a random sword.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I normally don't like pokemon that are based on inanimate objects, but I love this one. I think it is really cool that it is a possessed sword. Its original owner could have been a knight or a warrior :3 I also really like its typing and the design on its sheath.

Back