• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Watch out for Ghosts! (Everything must be Pokemon Related)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Ahhhh that explains it.

I usually name my Pokemon about fandom characters, food, or something else that is very silly with the occasional actual good name.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years

I never name my Pokémon because I'm not creative enough and I'd rather have them keep their names (unless I'm doing a challenge that requires nicknaming).

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017

Creative enough? BLEH. You just have to be goofy! Like a nickname for Oshawott could be......Aquawott! YEAH! :3

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021

When I try to nickname my Pokemon, they always come out cheesy. Sometimes I do it, and sometimes I don't, so I always have either no creativity in their names or stupid creativity in their names. Except for a Wobbuffet I found, called Derp, since I thought it seemed fitting.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

That's pretty much me when it comes to nicknaming Pokemon. Either I put in some thought or it just comes out something derpy.

epic hydreigon

aka Blazikalien
Years
I plan to nickname everything but when the time comes I just back off coz the most original names I can think of are like Oshy for Oshawatt or Hydry for a Deino.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years

It's easier to associate your Pokémon by their real name rather than their nickname. I suppose nicknamed Pokémon can be easily remembered as individuals but they would have to be special because nicknaming all your Pokémon requires a lot of thinking.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

I usually pick a theme for all my nicknames in one game and keep using that until I run out. My last ones were fruits in Pearl and spices in XY; got surprisingly far before having to find a new topic!

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
Years

Me too. I used to have nicknames that I didn't understand anymore... I named an Azurill Tom for a reason, but I forgot why XD

I also used to mess around with my Action Replay in Diamond a lot and caught a lot of trainers' Pokemon, which I would nickname by pressing random letters and adding vowels and stuff so they were readable. I had a Ponyta named Zonawaroom, a Dustox named Herlatifan, etc. It was fun.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I love it when I get a Pokemon I had a specific nickname for and I accomplish naming a Pokemon that name. Normally it's when I want to name one after a character or something along those lines.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

So enough with nicknames, here's a fresher topic - what do you guys look for in a Pokémon you like? Is it their looks, their typing, their moves, their stats, or anything else; what is it that makes you like a Pokémon more than others?

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
I usually go for stats and easily accessible pokemon. I have never used a Dragon type pokemon during the main story due to levels and stuff. Well scratch that I used an Altaria, but only because it evolved early. Drudiggon is an option too...I try to stray away from the often used Pokemon ( Gen 2's Ampharos, 4th Gen's Lucario ).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

Ohh interesting, you actually like Drudiggon? Personally I find it ugly as heck, but the main deterrent from me using it is the lack of evolutions. I don't really like training things like that (other than cuties like Pachirisu ♥) because it just doesn't feel as rewarding - I guess I see them more as Pokémon to use as strong opponents in the wild rather than ones to train? But ehh, that's probably just me haha, does anyone else feel like this?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

^ I can definitely relate. I can't remember the last time I used a Pokemon without an evolutionary line, simply because I find it to be relatively boring to train. I mean, the evolutions always feel like milestones, so you have some goal to work towards, at which you know you'll actually get something out of it. You can train as many Pokemon you want to level 100, but it's not like you're rewarded for it in any way; it just gives more powerful Pokemon and bragging rights. So yeah, Pokemon without evolutions are a rarity in my party :p

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

I'm trying to think back to the last Pokémon like that I actually trained haha. I trained a Dedenne in X, Emolga in Black 2, Pachirisu in Pearl, etc you get the jist, but I don't think I've used any others. I make an exception for these ones since it's an accomplishment when you get them to actually perform well for a change so that makes up for the lack of 'milestones', but with most other things I just don't find it rewarding either.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

mmmm I believe the last one I used on a team that lacks evolutions was... man I don't even know. I was going to use several Pokemon on my team on X but it never happened because at the beginning I really grew to love some members of my team (like Gogoat and Vivillon) that when I tried to use like Helioptile or Carbink it just didn't work out.

Also because I, no matter what, was going to have a Goodra on my team but sshhh.

Anyways I love such a variety of Pokemon that I don't think I really have any sort of 'checklist'. I mean I lost Feraligatr which I am fully aware some people hate due to design Squirrel. I love weak Pokemon like Rattata and even Zubat which most people like annoying and so forth. Like literally whenever I think of Pokemon I dislike only a few crop up. Seismitoad (which I will admit is due to design), Druggidon, and for a long time Toxicroak was on that list (It's on my 'okay' list now).

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years

I almost never use Pokemon without an evolutionary line, the only one i can think of is an Absol i used a while back in Emerald i think. Its not that i dont like them , its just that i love to see my pokemon evolve and grow into stronger ones.

As for Zubat, i really find him to be annoying, BUT he does evolve into an awesome Golbat/Crobat, so in the end i do quite like him. I dont have really any Pokemon on my "Hate" list, but there are some i dont care too much for, #1 on that list being Qwilfish.
Also, how can anyone not like Toxicroac??! :(

Back