• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What part annoyed you the most in G/S/C?

Years
I love how people are listing more than one. lol

The complicated Whirl Islands, the weak final battle against Team Rocket, the sudden grinding I'd have to do to go through Claire and the E4, and watered down Kanto. Out of all of those I'd say the watered down Kanto ruined it for me the most.
Still a great game though!

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Wild Pokemon too weak at a lot of points in the game, Especially Kanto :(

OMG I completely agree. But I don't think its just the wilds, they tried too hard to make Johto just the first half of the game levelwise, so you're like 7 badges in battling trainers with a level 17 Golbat. Just ridiculous.

TheAmazingTaco

Crazy Cardboard Box Hobo
Years
I think my least favorite part of the game series is the Slowpoke Tail merchant. He was all "YOU SHALL NOT PASS--unless you wanna buy this from me!" Uncool man. Just uncool! XD

That and the sea route to Cianwood. Uuuuugh. TENTACOOL.

K1ngQu33n

Poke K1ng
Years
Mine was probably the rage candy-bar man. Like seriously? Come on man... Let me pass. I don't want your stupid candy that I have to feed to my Pokemon. You can't even eat it yourself!

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
Progression of leveling seemed a bit off compared to RBY. I always felt like I was way too strong for wild pokemon and trainers. Whitney obv. After the Olivine gym battle things seemed to progress weirdly with the storyline...and the whole Team Rocket trying to get itself together wasn't the best storyline in my opinion...but after you got to Kanto things seamed to get back on track for me...and I loved that you played through Kanto in a different order than the original RBY.

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2012
The Whirl Islands are probably my least favorite. Not a big fan of long mazes with lots of encounters. Then again, I could easily say I was annoyed when the game came to and end because of how much I enjoyed it!

Years
Whitney and her demon Miltank. Little ****er used to almost beat me everytime in Silver. Nowadays I don't seem to have such a problem with her, probably has something with not just training my starter.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I hated those statues in the Rocket Base that would give away your position, and force you to fight the same trainers over and over again.

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
Years
I hated those statues in the Rocket Base that would give away your position, and force you to fight the same trainers over and over again.

"We'll keep appearing until you turn off the switch!"

Sorry, just had to say that to your reply. XD Ah, another thing I hated/got annoyed was Rock Tunnel. It was annoying in RBY, and it was still annoying in GSC.

Years
The second generation has always been my favourite, so there's not that many things I found annoying (since everything was a step up from Gen I, there wasn't really any features left out or anything). I guess the fact that the levels in Kanto are generally low is a bit irksome (though the reason for this is of course that Lance is the Champion of both regions, so he'd have to be strong enough for Kanto too). Of course this was rectified in HGSS anyway.

I've seen people mention the Sea Route to Cianwood, and I suppose that's not been annoying to me as such, but I definitely hug the wall EVERY TIME I navigate through it to Cianwood, hahaha. It seems too huge and frightening :P

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
The watered down version of Kanto was a huge waste of time imo. Kudos for the idea, but I wish they would have added a bit more storyline-wise. All I remember was some slow Rocket member and the gear part.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2012
Probably getting the medicine for Jasmine.

Please check me out on youtube guys I've started doing a Pokemon Crystal walkthrough! My name is JerryBigSocks. Thanks and feel free to comment, rate and subscribe!

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Probably getting the medicine for Jasmine.

Please check me out on youtube guys I've started doing a Pokemon Crystal walkthrough! My name is JerryBigSocks. Thanks and feel free to comment, rate and subscribe!

I'm pretty sure you can't advertise yourself like that.

And Ice cave.

Ice ... bloomin Cave!!!

blue

gucci
Years
Yeah, the Radio Tower event.. when it was situated in Mahogany I quite enjoyed it but once it reached Goldenrod it just became too repetitive.

Crux

Evermore
Years
I'll be the odd one out and say Routes 40-41.

I have the compulsion to battle every swimmer I come across, so I end up spending about an hour of playtime alone in this one area, weaving my way around the Whirl Islands, and battling every single trainer and wild Tentacool/Mantine I see. Since I also have the compulsion to keep my pokémon evenly-levelled, I eventually have to rotate my Quilava and my Sandslash into the front lines against all these water-pokemon. My Quilava will eventually fall in battle and I have to swim all the way back to Olivine city or Cianwood City to get a heal and then come all the way back.

I don't even like doing this stretch of the game in HG/SS. D:

That's really funny,i'm the same way!
I'd have to say old man candy bar annoyed me the most,took me forever to figure out how to get past him. X/

Yuzuru Otonashi

A new start...
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2014
That *insert expletives of your choice* Miltank. NOTHING was as bad as that thing.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Not being able to walk behind trees and buildings. Also applies to the first generation, but still bugged me in this one. :P

As for gameplay, Team Rocket in Goldenrod pissed me off. So much.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
For me, it was the Egg you get from the Daycare couple in Crystal. I never get what I want, let alone it actually being shiny like it's supposed to be. D<

Back