• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Most Disappointing Pokémon You Have Used From The Fifth Generation

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
Snivy. Almost its entire moveset is grass type moves, and it has no significant stats except speed. Even the WATER type starter beats the grass, because of its ability to learn both Megahorn ad Ice Beam. Although I wasn't surprised. The only time I remember the grass starter NOT failing us is Gen III with Torterra's ground type to back it up, yet still making it so water type attacks still did decent damage.

Years
I was going to use a Manna/Musharna and I dropped it early on because it just didn't do anything. Same with Pansear/Simisear and Panpour/Simipour. Much better Pokemon of their type are available. :/

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Simipour. When I chose Snivy for my starter, I was frustrated at the third gym, as both of my Pokemon kept losing to Leavanny, Burgh's main Pokemon. When I got to Castelia City I came to the area with the Scientist giving out stones to elemental monkeys. I got excited and decided to evolve Panpour with the Water Stone at Level 18, and didn't realize that there were better moves that I could've used to have a shot against Burgh, such as Bite and Scald. :( That's what I don't like about elemental monkeys: They can't learn any level-up moves once they are evolved.

Years
When I first played it i was very disappointed:
Pidove and evolution just learned special attacks
Blitzle was very weak, his shock wave did nearly nothing

As I played it again the dog from the beginning seemed very strong with STAB tackle and body check
But Stoutland was again very disappointing

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
Years
I know people might hate me for this but a lot of the Gen V PKMN were disappointing :\
It's still the best PKMN Generation in terms of gameplay though

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Amoonguss; I still love it, but it's just not a strong Pokemon at all.

But it isn't meant to be a strong attacker, though. :( it's meant to be a supporter Pokemon and it's damn good at that imo.

Simipour. When I chose Snivy for my starter, I was frustrated at the third gym, as both of my Pokemon kept losing to Leavanny, Burgh's main Pokemon. When I got to Castelia City I came to the area with the Scientist giving out stones to elemental monkeys. I got excited and decided to evolve Panpour with the Water Stone at Level 18, and didn't realize that there were better moves that I could've used to have a shot against Burgh, such as Bite and Scald. :( That's what I don't like about elemental monkeys: They can't learn any level-up moves once they are evolved.

Yeah I'd imagine that'd be annoying :( however the entire move pool of it is pretty good IMO, with iirc it having access to surf focus blast ice beam and grass knot iirc (maybe not tho).

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
For me, I was pretty disappointed about Liepard. I loved its appearance, and even moveset, but the stats weren't that great.

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
Years
Snivy's line: Snivy and it's evolutions we're initially my favorites design wise, but they can't do damage to save their lives.

Pidove's line: Gets a lot of cool special moves like Air Slash but of course it's another physically based bird, with no moves to back it up.

Years
I was pretty disappointed with Snivy for one. While I chose to start with Snivy in both black and white 2, it took a long time for it to learn any good moves.

Zebstika and Liepard I was disappointed with. I have no idea why I never replaced them on my black team. Zebstrika's and Blitzles are kinda dumb when you fight them. They tend to use a fire move when they should be using an electric move lol

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
Mine Was Paniard and Bisharp Gahh damn are they defenses so low even as a steel type which sucked cause i liked bisharp but it kept losing with one blow

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
In the order I encountered them -

Purrloin - I only mention it because Liepard is so blatantly fragile. It didn't really "disappoint" me, since it's on the second route and I expected it to not be a late game pokemon. That said though, it almost works, since it's got a great movepool, and I suspect that if I really invested some time into it, I could build a nice one. Maybe.

Blitzle - I really had hopes for Blitzle and Zebstrika, in spite of the fact that it's such an early, and common, encounter. But it just never quite manages to pull its weight, though admittedly a good part of that isn't its fault - it would be a lot more useful if there was a better physical Electric move available. Spark just isn't powerful enough to serve through the game and Wild Charge's recoil is a bit too much for a pokemon as fragile as Zebstrika. There are better special Electric moves, but Zebstrika's only so-so on the special side. So it's left with lots of potential, but nothing really to do with it.

Woobat - it was obvious from the first moment I saw one that it was supposed to be this generation's Zubat, so I expected at least an evolution comparable to Golbat, and had a vague hope of ending up with something as good as Crobat. Instead, I got Swoobat.

That's honestly all I can think of. One of the things that impressed me the most about this gen was all of the pokemon that turned out to be better than I expected - Stoutland, Musharna, Excadrill, Lilligant, Leavanny, Conkeldurr, Sigilyph, Scrafty, Reuniclus, Gothitelle, Sawsbuck, Beartic, Mandibuzz, Braviary, etc., etc...

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2013
not gonna lie...purrloin at first i thought it was so cute and loved the design and caught it...but then i viewed the stats and i was like... =_=

oh yeah...and blitzle another pokemon that fooled me with its appearance...lesson learned NEVER judge a book by its cover its so dissapointing the ones that look cool to me were the ones that made me cry T_T

Last edited:

Mr. Whiscash

Unegged Hatch
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2016
I don't get why Swoobat is getting so much guff since it's pretty much my ace right now (though I am running Monoflying).
If anything, Blitzle couldn't pull its weight, Pidove's line wasn't worth raising to Unfezant, and after it took me forever to find Purrloin for my first run, it did nothing for me.

But really I feel like after the second gym everything you caught was usable in one way or another!

Last edited:
Back