Thread: [Tool] Nerketur's Pile of Tools
View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2014 (12:10 AM).
PokéScripter

Nature: Quirky
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psy_commando View Post
    Hi ! I've been lurking for a while, and decided to try to help.
    Yay! I love people that like to help! =)
    Quote:
    I'd like to encourage as much as I can development of tools for PMD EoS, given so little information is available! So we can all have an easier time ! I just began a little side project for PMD Explorers of Sky, a runtime(for now) sprite/data injector/editor. And, if I can find anything that you might find useful I could probably put it in this thread. Though, my main focus are the sprites and avatars.
    Actually a LOT of that could be useful. I already know where the sprites are stored, but I am unsure of the complete file format therein. Still, understanding them, and how the Pokémon are mapped to each file would be useful. And that's something found out easier with what you're doing =D
    Quote:
    DeSmuME 0.9.10 has some basic features that could help out kinda like Dolphin, namely a disassembler, a memory viewer, and it can run lua scripts. Then, I highly suggest you'd get Cheat Engine. It features a great memory search feature and has data breakpoints, which are like the best thing ever ! And Cheat Engine runs lua scripts, with which you can automate tedious tasks and even write a little program/UI for doing things in cheat engine, or just running your scripts etc..
    I've looked into DeSmuME, and it does have few good features, but I don't understand all of them that well. I think I've looked into Cheat Engine, too. If it's the one used to debug windows programs. =P The problem with using that is the games scripting engine is coded in ARM, and the program emulating the DS is running in machine code. So I'd be debugging the machine code that emulates the ARM processor, that runs ther games code, that has the script engine. It's three steps inside. Granted, once I learn how it works I can basically make my own debugger, but... well... it would just be easier if I could debug the NDS ARM code and find the script engine, then figure out what each command does from there.

Things are just never that easy, are they? =P
    Quote:
    Then, the best way I found to find the data you're looking for is usually to make a few hypothesis as to how the data is stored in memory. There are only so many ways to store data, so chances are you'll guess right ! Throughout coding languages and platforms, some common data structures are universally used. Like tables, lookup tables, linked lists etc..
    This is actually similar to how I'm looking for command length and structure + how the format of various files works. Things that I want to find out but don't know how they are store or where they are include 'dungeon data', 'battle data', 'object data', and a few others.
    Quote:
    I hope it doesn't sounds patronizing though, its not my intention.
    And of course, I'm not a great hacker or anything really. I'm mainly a C++ coder that got into reversing a short while ago XD
    So there might be easier ways of doing all this ! But I hope this was of some use to you at least !
    Hee! Its alright. I'm mostly an all around programmer that only got into reversing because of PMD. And yes, I think you can definitely help! Even if I'm not focusing on sprites, I already know a lot about how they are stored. I was a sprite-ripper before this! In truth, I'm kind of honored!

Though, I would have to say any help not tool-based might be better put in my other thread instead. I might even make it an overall info thread. Who knows? I basically work on what interests me. =P

Hacks I support 100% (MUST SEE!):

Very well made hacks:

My work:
    Figuring out scripting in PMD
    Entire script map of LeafGreen
    PMDSE (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Script Editor)