• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] Mono-Color Challenge

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Sounds like a good rule to me, for whomever wants to use it. Like Buzz Buzz pointed out, no one is obligated to use it, but it would be there for the people who want to. The people who like the challenge of team building with fewer Pokémon can just ignore it, so I don't see the harm. I'll vote yes.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Well, I will keep the "poll" regarding the potential new rule open until this weekend, so if have an opinion about it, post now!

Anyway, on to more mundane things, like my last update on Yellow Platinum:

Update on Ultimate Monocolor Challenge (Yellow).

Final Update (#2) on Platinum.
  • Climbed Mt. Coronet and defeated Mars and Jupiter alongside Barry, then Cyrus messed up in summoning legendary Pokémon.
  • Navigated the Distortion World and beat Cyrus at the end, then killed Giratina.
  • Back in the real world, the Lake Trio was back to their lakes, so I went up to Lake Acuity to capture Intel the Uxie.
  • Made my way to Sunyshore City, where Volkner had no answer for Shock's Volt Absorb ability and YingYang's Earthquake.
  • Surfed up to Victory Road, and made my way through without much trouble, then defeated Barry at the Pokemon League.
  • EV trained my team, did a little grinding, and finalized movesets, then used my Rare Candies to get everyone to L56.
  • Took on the Elite Four:
  • Aaron was handled mostly by Shock (Thunder), with Intel providing killer support with Stealth Rock.
  • Bertha was defeated mostly by Seabreeze's Surf attack, with Ice Beam for Gliscor.
  • Against Flint, Intel again provided nice support with Stealth Rock, and Baggins, YingYang, and Shock were able to clean up.
  • Lucian was easy. Thanks to a couple lucky misses and great speed, Spirit was able to solo him with Megahorn.
  • Last but certainly not least was the Champion, Cynthia. She was tough as always! Here's a video and play-by-play of the fight.

Video:
    Spoiler:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Hall of Fame:
ultyellowsinnohhof.png

Team Sunny:
Spr_4p_480.png

Intel the Docile Uxie - L56 @ Mind Plate
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Psychic, Thunder, Grass Knot, Stealth Rock
Final Stats: 178/92/178/117/182/125
Spr_4p_078.png

Spirit the Gentle Rapidash, ♀ - L57 @ SilverPowder
Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Flare Blitz, Iron Tail, Bounce, Megahorn
Final Stats: 162/166/90/109/117/146
Sinnoh MVP, Elite Four co-MVP
Spr_4p_414.png

Baggins the Calm Mothim, ♂ - L56 @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swarm
Moves: Air Slash, Psychic, Bug Buzz, Giga Drain
Final Stats: 166/108/81/160/84/103
Spr_4p_135.png

Shock the Hardy Jolteon, ♂ - L57 @ Magnet
Ability: Volt Absorb
Moves: Charge Beam, Shadow Ball, Thunder, Rain Dance
Final Stats: 166/96/94/173/131/172
Elite Four co-MVP
Spr_4p_203_m.png

YingYang the Rash Girafarig, ♂ - L57 @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Early Bird
Moves: Psychic, Thunderbolt, Return, Earthquake
Final Stats: 154/128/81/160/81/126
Cynthia MVP
Spr_4p_279.png

Seabreeze the Serious Pelipper, ♀- L57 @ Expert Belt
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Surf, Ice Beam, Air Slash, Toxic
Final Stats: 163/74/150/145/89/104

HM Slaves:
Spr_4p_400_f.png

Bibarel - Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Cut, Waterfall [boxed]

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
♦ Started up Platinum and chose Turtwig as my starter. Caught a Zubat shortly after, who will just be a temporary team member.
♦ In order for me to be able to beat the first gym, I had to grind Zubat all the way up to Lv 22, for him to evolve...it was definitely worth the pain though.
♦ Once I made it to Floaroma, I went to the Valley Windworks to catch my first true team member, Phorcys the Shellos.
♦ Trained him up a bit and then got rid of Team Galactic.
♦ Went north to the Eterna Forest, where I caught Achlys the Gastly.
♦ Grinded her up a bit, and made her evolve into Haunter before facing Gardenia.
♦ I needed some help from Golbat, but she was eventually taken down.
♦ Beat Jupiter at the Hideout in Eterna City, and then got the bicycle from the man, which granted me access to my next team member - Ophion the Gligar.
♦ Since Ophion had a terrible moveset, I immediately went to the secret part of Wayward Cave and picked up the Earthquake TM for him.
♦ Trekked through to Hearthome City, where Fantina awaited me in the gym. I had to play a bit smart in order to beat her, since she was pretty tough at this stage.
♦ Continued on to Veilstone City, and evolved Ophion before taking on the gym.
♦ Maylene went down easily, with help from the entire team.
♦ Skipped all the trainers I could in order to get to Pastoria as quickly as possible.
♦ Once there, I searched through the Great Marsh and found a Skorupi that I named Deimos.
♦ Currently training him before taking on the gym.

Team:
Spr_4p_423.png

Phorcys the Gastrodon, Lv 35 (♂)
Item: None
Rain Dance, Mud Bomb, Body Slam, Water Pulse

Spr_4p_094.png

Achlys the Gengar, Lv 35 (♀)
Shadow Ball, Night Shade, Confuse Ray, Payback

Spr_4p_472.png

Ophion the Gliscor, Lv 35 (♂)
Earthquake, Swords Dance, Faint Attack, Quick Attack

Spr_4p_451.png

Deimos the Skorupi, Lv 31 (♂)
Pin Missile, Rock Tomb, Aerial Ace, Toxic Spikes

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I need to relax now that my summer classes are over, so I figure I'll power through some colors that I haven't done yet. Sign me up for Blue on Silver, jd my old friend.

Edit: That was a nice relaxing 2 1/2 hour playthrough l0l

http://imgur.com/lwAN1CS,uG4cs4x#0 has pix for you

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Well, I will keep the "poll" regarding the potential new rule open until this weekend, so if have an opinion about it, post now!
Well, the rule is going on the first post now. Refer to it for the exact wording, and feel free to post any questions or comments about it if you like.

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
♦ After some training, I challenged the gym and won by mostly using Achlys.
♦ Chased the bomb-totin' grunt and defeated him, then made my way up to Celestic Town and beat Cyrus.
♦ Got the Surf HM from Cynthia's grandma, which meant Surf sidequests!
♦ Picked up some TMs along the way and taught them to various members.
♦ Surfed to Canalave City and took down my rival, then I sailed to Iron Island and conquered it with the help of Riley.
♦ Byron went down easily thanks to Phorcys' Water-moves and Deimos' Brick Break.
♦ Heard what happened at the lake and went to investigate it, which eventually led me all the way up to Snowpoint, where I smashed Candice.
♦ Flew to Veilstone and infiltrated Galactic's HQ.
♦ Went up to the Spear Pillar and Distortion World and foiled their plans.
♦ This granted me access to Sunyshore City, so I went there and challenged the gym, which was an easy victory thanks to Ophion and Phorcys.
♦ Surfed up to Victory Road and ventured my way through, to end up at the Pokémon League.
♦ Aaron was tougher than expected, but Stealth Rock helped me out here.
♦ Bertha was quite tough too, but I had many supereffective moves to stop her.
♦ Flint was swept by Ophion.
♦ Lucian was mainly taken down by Deimos, but the entire team helped.
♦ Cynthia was actually easier than I thought she would be, but it did require some stalling from my part. Ophion was definitely the star player.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_4p_423.png

Phorcys the Gastrodon, Lv 56 (♂)
Item: NeverMeltIce
Toxic, Ice Beam, Rock Slide, Surf

Spr_4p_094.png

Achlys the Gengar, Lv 57 (♀)
Item: Spell Tag
Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Hypnosis, Sludge Bomb

Spr_4p_472.png

Ophion the Gliscor, Lv 59 (♂)
Item: Razor Claw
Earthquake, Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Ice Fang

Spr_4p_452.png

Deimos the Drapion, Lv 56 (♂)
Item: Fist Plate
X-Scissor, Brick Break, Crunch, Poison Jab

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
Username: NMare
Color: Blue
Game: Ruby
Ultimate: No

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update on Ultimate Monocolor Challenge (Yellow).

Update #1 on White 2.

Name: Sunny
Rival: Hugh
Starter: Snivy

• Started with Snivy, then caught Smiley the Sewaddle on Route 20.
  • Smiley was able to take down Cheren with Bug Bite and a crit Razor Leaf after learning it during the battle.
  • Moved on to Virbank City and caught Erik the Elekid in Virbank Complex.
  • After a couple tries, Erik was able to pull it out against Roxie for our second badge.
  • "Traded" in an egg, and after lots of walking around and checking out PokéStar Studios, out hatched Khufu the Archen!
  • Defeated Team Plasma and did a little grinding to train up Khufu, then sailed to Castelia City.
  • While we did some training, Smiley evolved into Swadloon, then the next level up, evolved into Leavanny!
  • Found Team Plasma in the Sewers, then defeated Burgh after several tries since Burgh's Leavanny is fast.
  • Made my way up through Route 4 to the Desert Resort, and caught Hatshepsut the Yamask.
  • Trained her up on trainers I skipped before in Castelia City and Route 4, then we arrived at Nimbasa City.
  • After playing a bunch of Battle Subway, our team did some training around Nimbasa City.
  • Got everyone to at least L30 for the gym, and Erik evolved into Electabuzz!
  • After a few tries against Elesa, Hatshephut was able to burn Zebstrika with Will-O-Wisp, paving the way for Smiley to clean up.
  • We crossed the bridge to Driftveil City and saved there.
Screens:
Spoiler:

Team Sunny:
566.gif

Khufu the Naughty Archen, ♂ - L31 @ Ground Gem
Ability: Defeatist
Moves: Acrobatics, Dig, Quick Attack, Rock Throw
542.gif

Smiley the Hardy Leavanny, ♀ - L32 @ Leftovers
Moves: Bug Bite, Return, Razor Leaf, Protect
562.gif

Hatshepsut the Bold Yamask, ♂ - L31 @ Eviolite
Ability: Mummy
Moves: Night Shade, Ominous Wind, Hex, Will-O-Wisp
125.gif

Erik the Bashful Electabuzz, ♂ - L32 @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Static
Moves: ThunderPunch, Swift, Low Kick, Thunder Wave

HM Slaves:
041.gif

Zubat - Fly
127.gif

Pinsir - Cut, Strength

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Emerald done!

♦ Beat the first gym with Rhea the Skitty. Had to abuse Assist a bit in order to win, but it worked.
♦ Skipped the second gym due to the weakness, and instead continued to Mauville, and caught Eos the Illumise to help me with the gym. It was a tough battle, but I managed to bring him down.
♦ On my way to the fourth gym, I caught Minos the Koffing and Morpheus the Grumpig after taking care of Team Magma on Mt. Chimney.
♦ Had to train up a bit to take down Flannery, she was pretty tough. After the battle, I went back to Dewford and humiliated Brawly.
♦ Sailed back to Petalburg and beat my dad, who actually wasn't that difficult.
♦ Got the Surf HM and did some sidequests before heading up to Fortree, where I beat Winona easily.
♦ Eventually reached Mossdeep after doing a bunch of stuff with the evil teams.
♦ Tate & Liza were fairly difficult since I didn't have much to hit them with, but I prevailed in the end.
♦ The battle against the Sootopolis leader was a Juan-derful victory, Rhea and Eos were the star players.
♦ Went through Victory Road and ended up at the Pokémon League.
♦ All of the members were neither difficult or easy, so I got to the champion who put up more of a fight, but couldn't beat me in the end.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_3e_301.gif

Rhea the Delcatty, Lv 54 (♀)
Return, Dig, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam

Spr_3e_314.gif

Eos the Illumise, Lv 54 (♀)
Item: Miracle Seed
Sunny Day, Aerial Ace, Thunderbolt, SolarBeam

Spr_3e_110.gif

Minos the Weezing, Lv 54 (♂)
Sludge Bomb, Toxic, Destiny Bond, Flamethrower

Spr_3e_326.gif

Morpheus the Grumpig, Lv 56 (♂)
Item: Lax Incense
Psychic, Calm Mind, Reflect, Facade

nitemate

Don't play Pokemon anymore ...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
Completed my (Blue) run on Ruby Version:
Badges Obtained:
Stone_Badge.png
Balance_Badge.png
Feather_Badge.png
Rain_Badge.png
Heat_Badge.png
Dynamo_Badge.png
Knuckle_Badge.png
20090321022758%21Mind_Badge.png

Most useful pokemon: Metagross
376.gif

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
Finally got around to an update. I'm starting (continuing from Fire Red) with Platinum instead of Soul Silver and Ruby first. I've got 4 badges and my entire team assembled. As I said (and asked first) I've used an AR code to get the secret key and changed rotom's form.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
402.png

Jim the Quirky Kricketune (M) @ Lv.31
Slash
Focus Energy
X-scissor
Rock Smash
479-spin.png

Twinky the Sassy Fan Rotom (/) @ Lv.32
Ability: Levitate
Item: Spooky Plate
Shock Wave
Confuse Ray
Ominous Wind
Air Slash
307.png

Ron the Careful Meditite (M) @ Lv.31
Ability: Pure Power
Confusion
Calm Mind
Hidden Power
Force Palm
136.png

Rawr the Naive Flareon (M) @ Lv.31
Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Shell Bell
Return
Quick Attack
Sand-Attack
Bite
118.png

Cleo the Careful Goldeen (F) @ Lv.27
Ability: Swift Swim
Water Pulse
Aqua Ring
Supersonic
Horn Attack
223.png

Squidward the Careful Remoraid (M) @ Lv.20
Ability: Hustle
Item: Exp. Share
Water Gun
Bubblebeam
Psybeam
Aurora Beam

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 29, 2014
Username: GreenMachien
Color: Blue and Purple (If allowed?)
Game: Pearl
Ultimate: No

Last edited:

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
Alright,I'll take a swing at this.

Username:LiteSandwich
Color:Blue
Game:Expert Emerald
Ultimate:No

Is Heracross in the regional dex? its been a while since I played emerald.

Xaldin

Years
First Update
What was accomplished:
  • Got Mudkip as my starter.
  • Beat May for the 1st Time
  • Beat Roxanne with ease
  • Mudkip Evolved into Marshtomp!
  • Beat May for the 2nd time
  • Soloed the run till I made it to Dewford,so I could catch Whismur
  • Trained Whismur up till it evolved to Loudred
  • Beat Brawly,thanks to some luck from Marshtomp
  • Traveled to Slateport City
  • Beat down some Grunts,and delivered the package
  • Found an Eevee in Slateport,but can't use it,since its not regional :P
  • Beat May for the 3rd time
  • Beat the Trick House for the first time
  • Made it to Mauville and then headed west to Route 117
  • Caught a Taillow!
  • Beat Wally. He's improved since I've last seen em :D
  • Beat Wattson,and Marshtomp Evolved!
  • Met a Gentleman at the entrance of Fiery Cave. Gave me a Beldum Egg!
  • Made it to Fallarbor Town
  • Backtracked to Mt.Chimney due to Team Magma Shenanigans
  • Beat Maxie! and Beldum Hatched!
  • Currently Training up my pokes to 45 for the next gym.

The Current Team!
Spoiler:

Chevitile

Little Monster
Years
Got Crystal completed as well:

♦ My first team member was a Zubat, whom I named Pandia. She defeated Falkner, Bugsy and Whitney all on her own (didn't know Snubbull was accessible on Route 35), and then Hyperion the Eevee joined the team. I also caught my Snubbull, named it Methis.
♦ Methis and Hyperion were great against Morty, since they were both Normal-types.
♦ Made my way to Olivine City, climbed the Lighthouse and crossed the sea to Cianwood City.
♦ On my way there, I encountered my final team member, Tethys the Mantine.
♦ Chuck wasn't too big of a deal to handle, but he wasn't the easiest either.
♦ With the SecretPotion in my hands, I went back, cured Amphy and took on Jasmine.
♦ She was quite easy due to her many weaknesses, so I pulled off a victory.
♦ Stormed the Rocket Hideout and challenged Pryce, who wasn't difficult either.
♦ Team Rocket blasted away from Goldenrod too, so I went through the Ice Path and challenged Clair. A bit more difficult, but my team did it.
♦ Went to the Dragon's Den and took the quiz, then continued to the Pokémon League through Victory Road.
♦ Will was very easy to beat, I had a pretty diverse moveset on most of my team members at this point, so that helped.
♦ Same story for Koga.
♦ Bruno was a tad bit more difficult, but Tethys obviously did most of the work.
♦ Karen was a team effort.
♦ Lance decided to be a bit of a pain in the neck, I was counting on Tethys to take care of him easily, but it didn't turn out that way. A couple of Revives and Potions solved that, though.
♦ Kanto was just a breeze, and I trained everyone up to Lv 60 for Red, as usual. Being Red and all, he was pretty tough, but proof of victory goes here:

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spr_2c_169.gif

Pandia the Crobat, Lv 60 (♀)
Item: Amulet Coin
Bite, Toxic, Fly, Giga Drain

Spr_2c_196.gif

Hyperion the Espeon, Lv 60 (♂)
Item: Quick Claw
Psychic, Mud-Slap, Swift, Iron Tail

Spr_2c_210.gif

Methis the Granbull, Lv 60 (♀)
Item: Charcoal
Strength, Shadow Ball, Fire Punch, ThunderPunch

Spr_2c_226.gif

Tethys the Mantine, Lv 60 (♀)
Item: NeverMeltIce
Surf, Icy Wind, Headbutt, Wing Attack

Xaldin

Years
Badges:
Stone_Badge.png
Knuckle_Badge.png
Dynamo_Badge.png
Heat_Badge.png
Balance_Badge.png
Feather_Badge.png

Progress:
Metang Evolved!
Made a slight team change after the 4th and 5th gym,so Swampert is boxed,now being replaced by Sharpedo.
Stopped Team Aqua on the way to Fortree City.
Received the Devon Scope after reaching said city.
Beat Winona.
Made it to Lilycove
Currently Training due to level spikes in hack :l
May was beaten for the 3rd time
May was beaten for the last time.

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
First Update

Started my journey, I picked Cyndaquil as my starter and I named him Wildfire :)
I went to see Mr. Pokemon and received a call from Professor Elm telling me to go back to the lab.
On the way there, I encountered my rival, Silver. He challenged me to a Pokemon battle in which I won.
Professor Elm told me to continue my journey to the Pokemon league and so I did.
I arrived in Violet City where I went in the Sprout Tower to get the Flash HM and during the battles in the tower, My Wildfire evolved into a Quilava!
I then proceeded to face the Violet City gym in which I easily won thanks to Quilava :)
I got a call from Professor Elm telling me that I should get the Pokemon Egg from one of his aid, and so I did.
I then proceeded to Route 32 to catch myself a Mareep and I named her Lumière, which means light in French.
I then went through Union Cave and arrived at Azalea Town. I grinded Lumière for a while in the bushes and she evolved into a Flaafy!
I went to see Kurt and in a rush, he went to the Slowpoke Well where he hurt himself >_>
So I had to defeat Team Rocket for him and eventually saved all the Slowpoke down there.
For saving all the Slowpokes, he offered me to make some Balls if I give him apricorns.
I then headed to Ilex Forest and I brought back Farfetch'd to the Cutter's apprentice, and for to thank me, I received a Charcoal & the Cut HM.
I went trough the Ilex Forest and arrived on Route 34 where I caught myself a Drowzee and named it Insomnia.
I took some time to give him some good amount of experience and then proceeded to face the Goldenrod Gym. *gulp* (In which I EASILY won, thanks to Lumière! :D)
Since it was a Saturday, I entered the Bug Catching Contest and caught a level 16 Weedle, in which I named her Syringe
I leveled it up a couple of times so it became a Kakuna and now it's a Beedrill! It's the only Pokemon in my team who reached it's final evolution :)
I sprinkled water on Sudowoodo and defeated it with Insomnia.
I'm now in Ecruteak City and currently facing the Kimono Girls.

Badges Obtained:
Spoiler:

Current Pokemon Team:
Spoiler:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
Username: chuckleslucifer
Color: Purple
Game: Emerald (Randomised)