• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite

e3

Years
Hi
So I'm starting to get into Rom hacking and am trying to use MrDollSteak's base using G3HS
I've already changed BPRE to MrDS but when I try to open it I keep getting these errors:

tumblr_n9bjciONlH1sp67eqo1_500.png

tumblr_n9bjciONlH1sp67eqo2_500.png

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 11, 2014
Well, first get a hex editor, most recommended is HxD. Now, go to your ini. Go find your rom's offsets and go to 'evolution table' or something like that. Take that offset, open up your hex editor and do a Ctrl+G and paste it in and enter. Assuming you haven't edited Bulbasaur's evo data, the start should be: 40 00s, then 04 10 02 I believe. Something like that. If there's no 40 00s before the 041002, just start at the 041002.

Now the Blaziken thing, are you sure you have? Just double check with other pokemon outside the Kanto Dex. If they evo, then..I'm not too sure.

Ok. I have HxD in my computer but there's still one more thing I don't understand. Where can i find that
ini- the one I should find the evolution table offset in?

Like I said before, I'm just a beginner when it comes to hex. And of course that I patched my game in order to access National evolutions: I've tested it multiple times in the game and it works fine.

Sorry for bad English, again.

And also, how should 0x..... look in HxD?

Last edited:

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
Ok. I have HxD in my computer but there's still one more thing I don't understand. Where can i find that
ini- the one I should find the evolution table offset in?

Like I said before, I'm just a beginner when it comes to hex. And of course that I patched my game in order to access National evolutions: I've tested it multiple times in the game and it works fine.

Sorry for bad English, again.

And also, how should 0x..... look in HxD?
Look for the file in "PokeRoms.ini" It should be in the same folder as G3HS. Also before searching, I recommend opening up your rom in HXD, go all way to the bottom, like the last offset, and look at the last two byte. It should tell you the number that correspond to your INI. For example, if it said 00 01, then on the PokeRoms.ini file, when checking for your ini, it should correspond to the number 00 01.

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
I just found the update and I'm using it now, but I noticed one glitch that I'm still seeing for the new one. Sometimes, changes I make to movesets bleed over. For example, I just expanded Beedrill's movepool to include Night Slash at level 49. I then went to the Pidgey line to give it more wind-and-weather based moves. After expanding Pidgeotto's moves and adding a couple, I went back to Pidgey to check where exactly I had put the other moves. And I found Tackle had been replaced with Night Slash at level 49. I've seen this happen a few times - it's always the first move on the list being replaced by something I'd added previously to a different Pokemon.

I also just discovered that my VBA is buggered to all hell, and I don't know what I did/how to fix it. It worked well the last time I used it (nearly a month ago - been doing more Pokemon Zeta than hacks or hacking). And today, all I did was (1) Apply the MrDollsteak patch to a clean ROM, to start something new. (2) Change the ini in HxD. (3) Open it in the new G3HS. (4) Tweak the starters through Raticate lines. (5) Go back to HxD and change one bit to fix the Attack boost glitch in the MrDS rombase. Now what's wrong is that my joystick is set to all F12. When I go to edit the joystick, I briefly see what it ought to be, but then it flashes to all F12, and I can't change them. This is weird enough that I'm skeptical it's anything I did this morning/related to G3HS, but just in case....

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hey,

I keep getting this error after editing habitats, and attempting to save the tab:

2e4evyu.jpg

I also get this with some other tasks that involve repointing, such as expanding Pokemon and changing PokeDex entries. This only started happening after I downloaded the update, the previous version still does everything fine. I know it's not my rom, as it does this with clean roms as well.

Any idea on why this is happening? I just want my new Pokes to have proper dex entries. T_T

You are using XP, right? The previous version was compiled on XP but this version was compiled on Windows 7. I had to upgrade my graphics library from v2.8 to v3.0. v3.0 didn't run on XP but it does on 7 so this may be the issue. I'm not 100% sure. I would really recommend upgrading your windows at this point since XP is no longer supported by microsoft and is getting increasingly vulnerable each day. I was forced to upgrade when my computer died and I bought a new one.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 11, 2014
Look for the file in "PokeRoms.ini" It should be in the same folder as G3HS. Also before searching, I recommend opening up your rom in HXD, go all way to the bottom, like the last offset, and look at the last two byte. It should tell you the number that correspond to your INI. For example, if it said 00 01, then on the PokeRoms.ini file, when checking for your ini, it should correspond to the number 00 01.

OK. I've checked the game and it's version 00 02. But I've looked in the pokeroms.ini file and there are
more than one single value for evolution table, like this:

evolutiontable = 0x79dfc8
evolutiontablepointers = 0x42F6C,0x42FBC,0x43138,0x4599C,0xCE8C4

Which one of those offsets is the one I need?

DuoRyan

Years
OK. I've checked the game and it's version 00 02. But I've looked in the pokeroms.ini file and there are
more than one single value for evolution table, like this:

evolutiontable = 0x79dfc8
evolutiontablepointers = 0x42F6C,0x42FBC,0x43138,0x4599C,0xCE8C4

Which one of those offsets is the one I need?
The first one as the table pointer are basically offsets in which it has the first offset as a pointer. (I know, kind of confusing)

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
You are using XP, right? The previous version was compiled on XP but this version was compiled on Windows 7. I had to upgrade my graphics library from v2.8 to v3.0. v3.0 didn't run on XP but it does on 7 so this may be the issue. I'm not 100% sure. I would really recommend upgrading your windows at this point since XP is no longer supported by microsoft and is getting increasingly vulnerable each day. I was forced to upgrade when my computer died and I bought a new one.

Ah, that could be it! And as it turns out, I do have the 7 upgrade sitting on my desktop, so I'll just go ahead and do it. I'll come back to confirm if everything's alright. Thanks for replying man.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I just found the update and I'm using it now, but I noticed one glitch that I'm still seeing for the new one. Sometimes, changes I make to movesets bleed over. For example, I just expanded Beedrill's movepool to include Night Slash at level 49. I then went to the Pidgey line to give it more wind-and-weather based moves. After expanding Pidgeotto's moves and adding a couple, I went back to Pidgey to check where exactly I had put the other moves. And I found Tackle had been replaced with Night Slash at level 49. I've seen this happen a few times - it's always the first move on the list being replaced by something I'd added previously to a different Pokemon.

I also just discovered that my VBA is buggered to all hell, and I don't know what I did/how to fix it. It worked well the last time I used it (nearly a month ago - been doing more Pokemon Zeta than hacks or hacking). And today, all I did was (1) Apply the MrDollsteak patch to a clean ROM, to start something new. (2) Change the ini in HxD. (3) Open it in the new G3HS. (4) Tweak the starters through Raticate lines. (5) Go back to HxD and change one bit to fix the Attack boost glitch in the MrDS rombase. Now what's wrong is that my joystick is set to all F12. When I go to edit the joystick, I briefly see what it ought to be, but then it flashes to all F12, and I can't change them. This is weird enough that I'm skeptical it's anything I did this morning/related to G3HS, but just in case....
The 1st thing says that you apparently, didn't repoint, in this case, Beedrill's moveset, merely expanded it. By expanding it, you go into the next Pokemon's moveset, so you need to repoint it.

The 2nd thing...I'm not sure. Maybe just redo everything, or maybe your VBA is screwed up. Just remember to triple check everything. Anything can happen.

DuoRyan

Years
A little pointer(lol) for people who having trouble, make sure to create a lot of backup, cause you never know what could go wrong. ALSO, make sure in-game to check to see if the national pokedex is running cause, some people, including me, had had the problem where after expanding, the national pokedex just died. So yeah, remember to do these thing and I'm pretty sure you have little to no problem.

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
The 1st thing says that you apparently, didn't repoint, in this case, Beedrill's moveset, merely expanded it. By expanding it, you go into the next Pokemon's moveset, so you need to repoint it.

The 2nd thing...I'm not sure. Maybe just redo everything, or maybe your VBA is screwed up. Just remember to triple check everything. Anything can happen.

Thanks. I was sure I repointed, but it was easy enough to fix every time.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Upon starting the program, I am met with the error "failed to load image from file 'resources/icon.png'" Any Idea what could be going on there? I am on a Mac, if that helps.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
When I try to open a rom that has MrDS's patch and without the Fairy-type, the types are invisible. However, loading the rom in VBA shows the correct types. The other parts of editing are just fine but the invisible types are a nuisance.

Image Proof:
http://imgur.com/cWUFpfy

(I didn't tinker with the rom aside from adding and applying both patches)

I applied the No-Fairy Patch because I thought the Fairy-type was causing my rom not to open in MEH.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 2, 2014
Upon starting the program, I am met with the error "failed to load image from file 'resources/icon.png'" Any Idea what could be going on there? I am on a Mac, if that helps.

This happened to me, too. I just copied the two files in the folder "dist" and pasted them into the main folder. Then it was able to find icon.png and opened fine.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
When I try to open a rom that has MrDS's patch and without the Fairy-type, the types are invisible. However, loading the rom in VBA shows the correct types. The other parts of editing are just fine but the invisible types are a nuisance.

Image Proof:
http://imgur.com/cWUFpfy

(I didn't tinker with the rom aside from adding and applying both patches)

I applied the No-Fairy Patch because I thought the Fairy-type was causing my rom not to open in MEH.

Okay, uh, If I remember correctly. First, change the number of types to 23 or 24.
Then, change the offset in the ini at "Typenames" or "Nameoftypes", something like that.
I don't remember the offset. But if you search up the hex of "Normal FF Fight" In a hex editor, that will be your offset. Sorry if its a bit wordy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
When I try to open a clean Fire Red rom that has only been patched with MrDS's patch I get this error.

"The game code of this rom is BPRE however it's Rom ID, 0000, tells me that I should load a section of ini with the gamecode AVXE. Logically, if those don't match, I will be trying to load from the wrong offsets. Would you like to continue loading? Click 'yes' if you know the gamecode should be different because you changed it yourself. Click 'no' to reset the rom id and create a new ini section for this rom."

What should I do? If I click Yes, I get another error.

ERROR:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "E:\Secret-Tool\build\mainWIN\out00-PYZ.pyz\wx._core", line 16767, in <lambda>
File "<string>", line 438, in reload_all_tabs
File "<string>", line 454, in __init__
File "<string>", line 540, in __init__
File "<string>", line 724, in __init__
File "<string>", line 1361, in __init__
File "<string>", line 1467, in generate_ui
File "<string>", line 1682, in load_everything
File "<string>", line 1739, in get_move_data
IndexError: list index out of range

I am using Windows 8.1.

Last edited:
Back