• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 7, 2022
The Monotype Challenge
This is a repost of the Monotype Challenge posted by Volga but now with colors

The Challenge:
The Monotype Challenge is a challenge where you use only Pokemon of a single type throughout your game.

Rules:
1. No Pokémon may be used in Trainer Battles outside of the type specified in your sign-up post. Monotypes may not be stacked into a single run. (ie, using Vileplume and Victreebel and calling it both Poison and Grass monotypes)

2. Your final team must consist of at least 2 Elite Four-viable Pokémon who share the type you specified in your sign up.

3. A Pokémon of your type must be obtained before you earn your second badge or before Lana's Trial (S/M). If this is impossible in your game, you may hack or trade a single Non-Legendary Pokémon of your type within your region's Pokédex. See below for a list of qualifying challenges. No hacking is permitted otherwise. Hacking or trading items into your game is never permitted. Before you obtain the first Pokémon of your type, you may only use your starter Pokémon.

4. Pokémon outside your type may be used as long as they evolve into your type by the end of the challenge.

5. All Pokémon on this list plus Mega Latias/os are banned from use in this challenge: Banned Pokémon in Battle Maison
Any other legendaries (i.e. Legendary Birds) are allowed, but only 1.

6. Trading is permitted for evolution, and obtaining version exclusive Pokémon in your region's Pokédex that cannot be obtained otherwise, as long as its level does not exceed the highest level on your team. No HA/Egg Moves/Perfect IVs for this trade in. You may hack Pokemon to evolve if they evolve by trading if you are incapable of doing so. If the Pokemon requires an item, you must wait until you have the item before hacking the evolution. Using a trade evolution patch on a ROM is also acceptable.
Trading to another game and evolving is allowed at level 30 or above, but only for Leafeon/Glaceon in B2W2, and Glaceon/Crabominable in SM.

*Note: Trading in Nectars for Oricorio is allowed, as it's a simple form change that doesn't change base stats, this also allows anyone using a specific Oricorio to be used from the first island.
**Note2: Island Scan Pokemon are allowed as well, because although they are not in the Pokedex, they are obtainable within the limits of the game/challenge.

7. HM Slaves are permitted. They do not need to match your type.

8. Hacked ROMs are permitted. Any hacks are only viable for single challenges.
*This was added 8/4/17, any ultimate challenges that includes hacks started before this will not count against you.

9. Pokéwalker and Pokémon Dream Radar may be used to obtain Pokémon of your type for the challenge, as long as they are imported directly into the game you are playing and not traded in from a separate game.

10. Dark and Steel are exempt from needing Kanto for Ultimate Challenges, since the types were introduced in Generation 2, with only Magnemite being available in FireRed and LeafGreen with one of these types.

11. Affection is not allowed (Sylveon is the only exception, but a max of two for Sylveon, no hearts at all for everything else). Mega Stones are not allowed.
Z-Moves are allowed as of 8/5/17.

12. An Ultimate Challenge is accomplished by reaching the end game of one game from all seven official regions using the same type. They do not need to be completed in chronological order. Fairy type only needs Kalos, Hoenn, and Alola to complete.

13. Should you want to play outside the standard rules, You may opt out of championship by setting your Challenge Mode to Free Mode. Free Mode allows you to play the Monotype challenge how you want to while still being able to post updates.

End Game Points
These points are considered the end of the game.
R/B/Y/FR/LG - Defeat Blue/Rival as Champion
G/S/C/HG/SS - Defeat Lance
R/S/E/OR/AS - Defeat Steven (R/S/OR/AS) or Wallace (E)
D/P/Pt - Defeat Cynthia
B/W - Defeat Ghetsis
B2/W2 - Defeat Iris (B2/W2)
X/Y - Defeat Diantha
S/M - Defeat Kukui
US/UM - Defeat Hau
Hacks - Determined by player (usually the Champion or Final Boss of the hack)

Optional End Game Points *Anyone that completes these will get an icon of the game's mascot next to their name in the champion's list, to indicate that they have put more effort into their challenge.
FR/LG - Complete the Sevii Islands side-quests and rematch the Elite Four
G/S/C/HG/SS - Collect the Kanto Badges, rematch the Elite Four, and Defeat Red (Rematching the Elite Four is only HG/SS)
E/OR/AS - Defeat Steven (E), Complete the Delta Episode and rematch the Elite Four (OR/AS)
Pt - Complete the Stark Mountain side-quest and rematch the Elite Four
B/W - Rematch the Elite Four and defeat Alder
B2/W2 - Rematch the Elite Four
X/Y - Finish the Looker Bureau side-quest
S/M - Finish the Ultra Beast side-quest, get to the Battle Tree, and defeat Red/Blue
US/UM - Finish the RR side-quest, get to the Battle Tree, and defeat Red/Blue

Rule #3 applies to any Pokemon only available in the post-game or not at all, but are still in the Regional Dex, which are: (also incluing all of evo line)
- G/S/C: Anything only available in Kanto/Mt. Silver (i.e. Houndour, Misdreavus, etc.) Same applies to HG/SS, but much more limited due to Safari Zone. More detailed list is coming at some point
- R/S/E/OR/AS: Beldum
- B2/W2: Archen, Tirtouga, Tympole, Munna, Durant, Heatmor, Cyrogonal, Stunfisk, Larvitar, Croagunk, Carnivine, Tropius, Yanma, Lickitung, Igglybuff, Slakoth, Corphish
- S/M: Porygon, Scyther, Emolga, Riolu, Sewaddle, Togepi, Timburr, Tynamo
USUM: Porygon, Scyther, Heracross, Litleo, Druddigon, Lickitung, Dratini, Emolga, Riolu, Sewaddle, Aron, Rotom, Tynamo

Sign-Up
Make sure you read the rules carefully before signing up. Include the following form in a post. Feel free to group it into a single sign-up, as I did below.

Forum User Name:
Game(s): *If this is a hack, please say both the hack name and the base game.
Pokémon Type:
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: *Single is one game, Ultimate is going through all six regions.

Example
Forum User Name: KingSwing
Game(s): FireRed, HeartGold, Ruby, Pearl, White 2, X, Ultra Sun
Pokémon Type: Poison
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Monotype Challengers and Champions

These are now stored on the Official Monotype Hall of Fame Spreadsheet, which you can find by clicking that link.

The spreadsheet is up-to-date with this thread as of March 16th, 2019. Champions from the previous iterations of The Monotype Challenge will be added as time allows.

If you there is an error or you wish to rush me putting your challenge on the list, send a note to Spirit Shackle via PM or ddrox13 on the PC Discord.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Water, Fire and Grass Monotype I had already done on Emerald.
y22mudh.png
0sHtjle.png
Jvv9SQh.png

Here is a Ground Monotype on Emerald I just completed from the other thread:
Album Here: https://imgur.com/a/3c6cdAR

Final Team:
U1cCJmG.png
MIKJwHY.png
aRH0KlX.png

m8zMxIx.png
WjPiK0x.png
L9hifcP.png

7hnyLpZ.png
c43VfrP.png
wmt9FNq.png

y43lEsg.png
aU6wnIn.png
AXFSUVg.png

ldYGSQl.png
dkaQyOd.png
denISDM.png

d2RNoYz.png
mfOA0Qy.png
2wIqrqJ.png

Last edited:
Years
I'm glad it all worked out in the end (after all the troubles with creating the thread)

This part
XtZhJFe.png

should say rule 3 (it was rule 5 in the original challenge)

Anyway, I've been postponing this for a long time, but with new thread, I think it's finally time:

Forum User Name: Zemanahrad
Game(s): FireRed, HeartGold, AS, Diamond, Black, Y and Ultra Moon (any of these games can change when I start planinng my teams)
Pokémon Type: Dragon
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate
^Which reminds me, last line of the sign-up should say seven regions instead of six

I'll be starting with Y soon.

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
Years
It's basically a nuzlocke right? How can I send proof if I'm playing on console?

Years
I've started this in the previous thread, but I just sign up again.
====================
Forum Name: Suon
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black
Pokémon Type: Ground
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: 5x Single
====================

latest

RECLAIMING MY GYM
5 Single Ground-type Challenges

PROLOGUE:
Spoiler:

LEAF GREEN

EPISODE I: A NEW HOPE
Spoiler:

EPISODE II: THE LEADER STRIKES BACK
Spoiler:

RUBY

EPISODE III: RETURN OF THE MASTER
Spoiler:

EPISODE IV: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RED ORB
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 7, 2022
It's basically a nuzlocke right? How can I send proof if I'm playing on console?

I'm also playing console for all mine. All you have to do is take a picture of the screen with a camera (even a phone camera is fine). If anything, a picture of a game on console is more solid as proof than a screencap considering it's way harder to photoshop that. If you don't have a camera, feel free to message me to see if we can figure something else out. The last thing I want is for this challenge to exclude people who can't access or afford the means to participate.

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I'm also playing console for all mine. All you have to do is take a picture of the screen with a camera (even a phone camera is fine). If anything, a picture of a game on console is more solid as proof than a screencap considering it's way harder to photoshop that. If you don't have a camera, feel free to message me to see if we can figure something else out. The last thing I want is for this challenge to exclude people who can't access or afford the means to participate.

I feel pictures/proof should be optional as most other challenges do so, though it is ultimately up to you.

Also, some more details you should update the OP with that I never got around to.

Add "USUM - Defeat Hau" (under End Game Points)

Add this to the rule #3 extras (section below Optional End Points)
"USUM: Porygon, Scyther, Heracross, Litleo, Druddigon, Lickitung, Dratini, Emolga, Riolu, Sewaddle, Aron, Rotom, Tynamo"

Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 7, 2022
I feel pictures/proof should be optional as most other challenges do so, though it is ultimately up to you.

Also, some more details you should update the OP with that I never got around to.

Add "USUM - Defeat Hau" (under End Game Points)

Add this to the rule #3 extras (section below Optional End Points)
"USUM: Porygon, Scyther, Heracross, Litleo, Druddigon, Lickitung, Dratini, Emolga, Riolu, Sewaddle, Aron, Rotom, Tynamo"

That's a fair point. Also thank you for the edit advice!

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
Years
Thanks for the answers, that's kind of you to help me :)
@Kingswing, I have a camera so that will do, I really appreciate the help though, that's cool :)
And sooooo, I guess I'll give it a shot :3

Forum User Name: Hirokimura
Game(s): I'll go with pokemon Black !
Pokémon Type: Normal Type sir !
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: I'll go for single for now :D

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
I still have a few ultimate challenges ongoing and would appreciate adding them to the list. I haven't been taking any pictures but will do so from now on if needed.

Poison: Blue 8/8, Crystal 6/16, gen 3, gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7
Rock: Yellow 8/8, gen 2, gen 3, gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7
Fighting: Yellow 8/8, gen 2, gen 3, gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7
Water: Blue 3/8, gen 2, gen 3, gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7
Flying: Red 1/8, gen 2, gen 3, gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7
Bug: Yellow 0/8, gen 2, gen 3, gen 4, gen 5, gen 6, gen 7 (not sure I announced this one)

That's all my current runs though I'm going very slow poison should get an update soon.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Also in regards to rule 3 didn't it used to be before the third gym cause I clearly remember thinking of viable ghost and dragon runs in gen 1 involving going through rock tunnel immediately after misty to reach lavender/celadon respectively for legit no trade in/hacked in runs. Did this change or am I just crazy?

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Ok so looking through my last few posts I don't think I ever updated my crystal poison run even once so I'm not listing how I got to this point as I've been doing it for a while and don't remember all of it so please bear with me.

Only going to list permanent mons cause there was a lot to choose from in gen 2 starting areas.
Character: Poison
Starter: Tododile (for advantage against rival cause screw that guy)
Rival: Rumba (theme is bands for gen 2 so I looked up what was opposite of Poison's genre and that would be Rumba)
Current team mons:
Male Spinarak named Bret M.
Male Gastly named Blues S.
Male Nidoran named Rikki R.
Female Zubat named R. Rockett
Male Ekans named Matt S.

Hm slaves:
Noctowl for fly (for now as only crobat can learn fly)
Gyarados for surf, waterfall, and whirlpool
Paras for cut, flash, sweet scent, and rock smash

I've beaten the first 6 gyms and am about to raid the mahogany town hideout.

Current team lvls
Bret M. (Ariados) lvl 25
Blues S. (Gengar) lvl 28
Rikki R. (Nidoking) lvl 25 (knows strength so don't worry about that)
R. Rockett (Golbat) lvl 27
Matt S. (Arbok) lvl 25

I will post properly from now on with proper updates and again sorry.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 7, 2022
It would seem you used a Poliwag/Poliwirl on your team for the LeafGreen run which would invalidate that playthrough due to the fact that it is not psychic type. This is considered a disqualifying factor as per the rules of the challenge. If this is an HM slave then you are still okay but I would need to see proof. As it stands it has only one picture in the whole set and it's of its evolving which is why I would like some more explanation on this swirly boi.

Years
Started this on the last forum, got up to right before E4, then stopped for a month because I hate grinding.
On that note, I also finished it. Shout out to MARIO Club for debug.

Username: Radboy
Game: Omega Ruby
Type: Fairy
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode: Single

Part 6: Never Needed a Sash
Spoiler:

The DREAM TEAM
Spoiler:

Previous Parts:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

(I don't feel like remembering my Imgur Password, so I just have an attachment of proof from my phone.)

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back