• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you dislike about it?

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
We all have to admit, not every game in the world can be perfect. The same applies for Pokemon and 4th Gen is no exception. It's had its greats but there a few small flaws in most user's opinions.

What did you dislike about it? The storyline, music, Pokemon, what was it that you disliked?

Bubbles987

Ace Trainer
Years
Im talking about the sinnoh games here:

Well the music was awesome, especially with Sinnoh's jazz influence.
The Pokemon? Ehh.
Some I loved (Glaceon <3<3<3), but ones like Pachirisu, Shellos*, and Krikitot (Defiantly spelling that wrong) were just bad IMO.
Also, there were too many old 'mons popping up everywhere, and too many evolutions to old 'mons.
I remember reading a review or something where someone said "I don't mind seeing old pokemon, just not right when I start the game", which I totally agree with.

* Fun fact: Shellos was actually going to be released in RSE.
Which is probably why it seems more like 3rd gen Pokemon (if that makes sense).

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Im talking about the sinnoh games here:

Well the music was awesome, especially with Sinnoh's jazz influence.
The Pokemon? Ehh.
Some I loved (Glaceon <3<3<3), but ones like Pachirisu, Shellos*, and Krikitot (Defiantly spelling that wrong) were just bad IMO.
Also, there were too many old 'mons popping up everywhere, and too many evolutions to old 'mons.
I remember reading a review or something where someone said "I don't mind seeing old pokemon, just not right when I start the game", which I totally agree with.

* Fun fact: Shellos was actually going to be released in RSE.
Which is probably why it seems more like 3rd gen Pokemon (if that makes sense).
Well when i think "right when i start the game", i think the first route or two. But you dont see any old pokemon until after Jubilife city.

Anyways, what i didnt like about the Sinnoh games was pretty much that they just felt weird. I think it was the graphics, but im not entirely sure.

Sirfetch’d

Sinnoh was my least favorite region ever. The layout was bad the music was bad the pokemon were bad the gym leaders were bad. The highlight was Cynthia. She was cool, but other than that it was well...bad. HG/SS saved the 4th gen, IMO.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The only things I hated about Gen IV was the slow surfing and processing speeds of D/P. At least they were fixed in Platinum.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I didn't play DP, so I didn't experience any of the minor flaws that it offered, but I found Pt to be close to perfect. There was still the odd thing, like somewhat of a limited pokedex i guess, but other than that most of the problems are so small they slip my mind.

HGSS, I have to say are as perfect as this series can get

Years
The only thing I hated about the 4th Generation was the slow speed of Diamond and Pearl.

At least Platinum fixed it up.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
To be honest I'm getting used to the slower functioning speed of the games, compared to that of Pt, HGSS and BW. I'm currently doing the Challenge Bowl '12 in Pearl, so I think it's only natural that I get used to the different gameplay, design and general feel of the game.

In regards to its downsides, I'd probably say I'd want a more elaborate post-game experience as well as little backstories such as the Old Chateau to be expanded upon. Other than that, I don't think for me personally, have encountered any other negatives.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
The thing that I didn't like about HG/SS, is that the pokemon contest were absent, I always loved those. I was sad to see that they weren't in HG/SS. But at least they put new minigames also known as the PokeathlonDome.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Well, I hated Sinnoh. I thought the storyline stunk, the graphics were meh, and the speed was slow.

Bubbles987

Ace Trainer
Years
Well when i think "right when i start the game", i think the first route or two. But you dont see any old pokemon until after Jubilife city.

Wait until night comes...you see Zubats....EVERYWHERE. OK, maybe not everywhere, but still. And although I loved Sinnoh, there were too many evolutions of older Pokemon; most were not needed (i.e. Happiny) while some came in handy (Honchkrow, Mismagius, Weavile).

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
Wait until night comes...you see Zubats....EVERYWHERE. OK, maybe not everywhere, but still. And although I loved Sinnoh, there were too many evolutions of older Pokemon; most were not needed (i.e. Happiny) while some came in handy (Honchkrow, Mismagius, Weavile).

I actually kind of find it funny how many people would criticize 4th gen for having "too many worthless evolutions of earlier Pokemon" and yet they usually just name one off the top of their head. Tell me, what other "worthless evolutions" were there other then Happiny and Mime Jr. The rest were actually kind of helpful and a lot of Pokemon fans I know, some of their faves

Togekiss, Magmorter, Electravire, Dusknoir, Rhyperior, Gallade, Leafeon (one of my favorites) and that's just to name of few that were actually nice additions to the franchise in general.

Let me also remind people here, 2nd gen had Pichu, Cleffa, igglypuff, smoochem, magby, elekid, all completely worthless additions to the franchise yet people constantly praise the 2nd gen Pokemon. Grant it it does have some nice ones like Blissy, Steelix, and Scizor, but in my opinion it was the weakest when it came to introducing new Pokemon.

I'm not saying you have to like the Pokemon introduced in 4th gen, but I am saying it's either all alright, or none of it is so please try not to treat your opinion like a fact.

Although, I do have to say my more legit problem with the Pokemon evolutions themselves is that most of them didn't even feel obtainable in the main game. The Pokemon you could evolve weren't there, some of them require trades which and even while I was living with my brother in which we both had versions on our DSs, we both still thought the trading gimmick is just a bad requirement to obtain certain Pokemon. I know all the generations do that, but I felt gen 4 was probably the worse offender when it came to that.

Also, I personally didn't care for Team Galactic. Very stereotypical criminal group who bassicly wants to take over the world. I like my antagonists just being crazy.

But I will say that I love the atmosphere of the region and the music as well. It kind of felt like they placed a sort of mythological origin in the Pokemon universe. I know that some Pokemon were based off of mythology, but I'm kind of saying that there was a sort of Pokemon mythology if that makes any sort of sense. Also gave me lots to explore, so despite the problems, I still enjoyed 4th gen

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Gen 4 isn't exactly my favorite.
At first I didn't like any of the gen 4 Pokemon, but they have grown on me. But what I still dislike is that some of the new evolutions were unnecessary.Diamond and Pearl were also rather slow moving and plot isn't as interesting.
HeartGold/SoulSilver were the saving graces of the gen.

aquavi

scintillating starmie
Years
I didn't really like D/P/P for many reasons... stiff playthrough, bad Pokemon, weird plot, and ugly legendaries (this rings true for anything after RSE though imo). I didn't like the underground either, it was mind-numbing, although obviously optional so I can't really complain.

HG/SS on the other hand are my favorite games, probably because I started with Gold.

Years
Tell me, what other "worthless evolutions" were there other then Happiny and Mime Jr.

Mime Jr. wasn't worthless D: I love Mime Jr. (It in my top 5 cutest pokemon)

As for what I disliked about the 4th gen, I guess my biggest annoyance (which is the same in 5th gen as well) is that fire starter wasn't overly original to me. Fire-Fighting is so overdone that I can't help but to hate the pokemon.

I also disliked the map layout for the game. I know Gen 3 does the whole 'skip-this-gym-and-come-back-later' but it does it in the beginning and it is a small place that you wouldn't visit more than twice. With this one though, you have to visit some of the later cities multiple times before you even get the badge from there (I'm mainly thinking about Hearthome City).

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I thought the story line was very exciting and addictive, so I wouldn't say anything bad about it. The graphics and the Pokemon were just as nice. This leaves me with the speed of the game, which, I would admit, is one of the slowest. Compared with the speed of Platinum, Diamond/Pearl was really slow. I had to use my bike all the time, or if possible, I'd fly. But bleh, what the heck. It was still a great game.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'd say my least favourite part of Sinnoh was the gyms. The gyms themselves weren't bad at all, but I found the typings somewhat boring compared to other regions. The Ice, Steel and Ghost gyms were pretty interesting, especially with the new Pokémon added in Sinnoh to make the gyms (especially Drifblim & Abomasnow) very quirky, and having Electric as the 8th type was certainly unexpected (although disappointingly easy), but I really think they could've had some more interesting types pop up in between them. Bug, Pyschic, Dark, Ground - anything interesting! Grass, Rock, Water, etc, are all really over-used and I was hoping for something more unique than those. D:

#isthenumbersign
Years
I really didn't care for Team Galactic in Diamond/Pearl. HGSS was all good and dandy. It was just the storyline and the evilness in Sinnoh that was kinda bland to me.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I personally find Diamond and Pearl to be the worst games in the main series. Here's why:

• The sluggish game engine is excruciating, and slows the game down so much that simply moving takes much longer than it should
  • The lack of fire-types. If you didn't pick Chimchar, you were stuck with Ponyta. Wut.
  • The soulless, personality-free nature of the game. It's like absolutely nobody was memorable in the slightest because none of them got to showcase who they were. Professor Rowan was easily the worst of the series professors, for instance.
  • Team Galactic was just in the way, and they weren't a legitimate stench of villainy - except for the first fight with Mars's Purugly. Sheesh.
  • So many evolutions of prior Pokemon were added, yet we couldn't use them until post-game. What's the point in adding those if we can't use them on most of our journey?
  • Dungeons were terribly-designed. Team Galactic HQ had so much unused space and it could have been something fascinating. Mt. Coronet was a horrible, never-ending maze with too many Golbats and Bronzongs getting in your way, even with using repels (and when you ran out...). Victory Road required use of a Bibarel or bogging your team's movesets down with HM moves.
  • Defog shouldn't exist
  • I must agree that some of the music was pretty bad. Either boring, nauseating, or just something that didn't fit. Other music instances were pretty good, but the seaside music and some of the route music could have been so much better.
  • The addition of more pre-evolved Pokemon. You would think they'd have listened to us by the unnecessary additions of Igglybuff, Cleffa, Azurill, and the like. Smoochum, Magby, and Elekid aren't as bad, but they alone were plenty. Bonsly, Mime Jr., Happiny, and Mantyke were beating a dead Horsea. They'd already done enough of those.

I am thankful that Platinum fixed the first five issues considerably well, and thus was enjoyable to play. The only major issue unresolved by it was the atrocious dungeons. Platinum is probably the best game of Gen IV, though HG/SS are pretty good too.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
DPPt in general was a huge disappointment to me. Platinum was more bearable than DP, but in general, I found the storyline dull and boring, and... I don't know really. I just couldn't get into them. But since SoulSilver is still my favourite Pokémon game to date, Generation IV was redeemed by that.

Back