• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map of the Month - November 2009 [Voting]

Map of the Month

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020

Map of the Month

You have until the 1st of December to vote for your favorite cave map. Look at all three carefully before you vote! and make sure Luck doesn't win again
Ms. Manipulation is working on Map of the Month emblems for the winners~

[assistance=Making pretty maps and winning Map of the Month]Spheal's Words of Wisdom
So, there were lots of pretty cave maps this month. But, some were too simple. Simplicity is pretty, but very simple looking maps isn't pretty. Spheal thinks every map you make should have something that makes it unique. Perhaps some different tiles, ponds around the map, even crystals around the cave's walls. There were also maps that were too small. Small maps can be simple, since they probably won't be used much anyway, but they're not Map of the Month material. Some maps looked nice but the tiles made them look bad. The palettes and the way the tiles were inserted makes the tiles and the map look ugly. And the tiles were actually nice, since Manipulation's map used the same tiles as the other two maps, but looked much better.[/assistance]

Entries

These are the prettiest cave maps in this month's contest, at least in my opinion. Manipulation had nothing to do with the choosing of the maps, unless he manipulated me, but I wouldn't know. Sorted by time of posting.

Cirno said:
In my genius opinion, →goon should've won last month. You ROM Hackers disappoint us fairies.

Rules

• Asking or bribing others to vote for your map, will be dealt with accordingly.
  • Creating new accounts to vote will be dealt with accordingly.
  • Voting via the thread is not counted, only votes via the poll count.
  • Don't complain that we didn't choose your map, believe me we have good reasoning.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I can't see Luck's map :'(
Also, Manipulation's map? Really? I though Laidjon*'s map was better by a mile :\
Oh and don't try to deny it with Spheal's "Words of Wisdom".

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I vote for Mitchel's map.
Despite it being square in the corners, his map requires you to wind through some thin tunnels and has a moderately good amount of trainers. It isn't full of it or too empty.
Manipulation had a nice map, but all of the water just makes it look annoying to travel through. And although dark palettes are very fitting for cave maps, the shade just...irked me.

I can't see my map either ;o;
And stop being a tease Christos, I saw what you said about me before you edited your post D:<

Laidjon*

An eternal equilibrium~
Years
Also, Manipulation's map? Really? I though Laidjon*'s map was better by a mile :\
Thanks =)

But about the three maps.
I have to vote for Mitchel1's map. It's the best out of these three :P
Manipulation's map is good, but it hasn't got much variety of tiles. I don't see a 2*2 rock anywhere.
Luck's map is ok. Some areas are too cramped, some areas are too empty.

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
don't try to deny it with Spheal's "Words of Wisdom".

So you claim that Spheal doesn't know better? Silly~ Spheal is a pretty blue Spheal who has years of experience critiquing maps because there's nothing else to do in Sphealland except look at pretty hax maps and see what makes them special and unique. <3 Spheal is right. Spheal is always right. Anyways, I actually really like Luck's map. XD; It has those pretty crystals and it really reminds me of those crystals in other games like harvest moon and I have this little thought in my head if I break one I'll get a thunder/fire/water/leaf/moon stone. XD; So that's the one I voted for~

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020

I already have. :3 I said I didn't pick any maps that I thought were too small or simple to be chosen for Map of the Month.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
Years
I voted for Luck's map.
The cave walls seem very naturally shaped, and unlike the other two entries, the map follows the "dugout" style of cave mapping. Almost every carved out space is used as a unique playable portion of the map, giving it a very complex and full feeling. Finally, the crystals add a great finishing touch to it.

While the idea of a cave centered around bodies of water is interesting, the concept seems a bit overabused in Manipulation's cave. After a while, the same "ladder/land/water/land/ladder" pattern present in almost every subsection of the cave gets repetitive. Also, some of the spaces seem rather cramped.

Mitchel1's map is very good, I won't disagree with that. However, the outer border is pretty much a square, which isn't necessarily a bad thing in this case, but when compared to Luck's map, it doesn't do much good for it. Some spaces are a bit too open, especially the wide open plateau in the center right.

Good entries all around, though. Congrats to all 3 of you for the excellent maps. O:

Samike360

Lover of May
Years
Oh, I didn't know that one had to show the events in the map in order to be considered for winning the contest. I'll have to try that next time.

Anyway, I voted for mitchel1's map, based on the fact that it has a good mix of different tiles and achieving a balance of beauty and playability. It would be a very fun map to play in and explore, in my personal opinion.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I voted for Luck, I thought Manipulation had a better mapping style but the tile and palette combination made the map very confusing to my eyes.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
So you claim that Spheal doesn't know better? Silly~ Spheal is a pretty blue Spheal who has years of experience critiquing maps because there's nothing else to do in Sphealland except look at pretty hax maps and see what makes them special and unique. <3 Spheal is right. Spheal is always right.
o.O
Uh, I'm not really sure how to respond to this. But I will say this: I never doubted Spheal's experience in the field of "hax maps". I just thought that Laidjon* made very effective use of the standard tileset and created a map that really stood out from the others.
I said I didn't pick any maps that I thought were too small or simple to be chosen for Map of the Month.
Fair enough.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I forgot about MotM! I have like the best cave map ever too...

I voted for Mitchel1's map btw.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I forgot about MotM!
Your not the only one it appears.

It took me awhile to consider my vote this time around, and it came down to the mixtures of tiles and palettes, complexity, and overall feel that I get from the map. And I ended up voted for Luck's map. I loved this map for two Main reasons, No "flashy tiles" and nice complex layout. I also like that it uses crystals (Duh) since the other two didn't use them. This map makes the normalish tiles nicely, It doesn't need flashy tiles to make it look good. I also like that he made a difficult shortcut that could save you a lot of time, the cracked floor that is. To comment on the other two maps, Mitchel's was "ehhhh" to me, it didn't look too special to stand out to me, and it was kinda square around the corners. While Manipulation's did stand out, the palettes kinda played with my eyes and got me pretty confused, it's tiles were really good, and it was complex and looked like it would take quite awhile to navigate, but the palettes ruined it for me.

Final verdict being Luck's map! ;)

Mr

Just call me Mister
Years
mitchel1's map cuz it reminds me of a real Pokemon game. (real as in not a hack.)

I'm a sucker for the traditional stuff.

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Manipulation got my vote.
I don't like Luke's crystals, as they just don't fit on the tiles(in my opinion)
The cave of Manipulation also got a good color palette.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
Voted Manipulation , due to a complicated layer and nice AWESOME tiles .

Just love it :) . And I should participate in these , I haven't since ... October ?

Back