• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Romance Anime!

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
hello guys! I've been on the lookout for new romance anime to watch, so I thought I'd make a thread where everyone can discuss their favorite ones, or just different ones they've seen

uhh let's see... I'll name the ones I can think of off-hand

-Uta no Prince-sama : this one was alright, it didn't really have much of a plot at all but the music was good and the characters were amusing. I don't really like reverse harem (or harem) too much though

-Kobato : this one was just amazing, it had a touch of fantasy and the story was really sweet. basically the main girl had to help people in order to have her wish come true. I really recommend this one!

-Vampire Knight : vampires and stuff. I watched this one a few years ago, it was pretty good.

-Shugo Chara: I loved this one! everyone has like a little familiar that is part of their soul and it's kind of a magical girl anime, sorta... there are lots of eps and the romance is good. it was mostly a cutesy anime so yeah ^^ but i liked it

-Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle : this one was awesome! so many different worlds and the story was really interesting (especially in the later episode) unfortunately the anime was never finished i think... but definitely worth a watch! lots of episodes, I really loved it

some others I can't really remember the plot of (doesnt mean they were bad, i just dont remember cuz i watch a lot of anime lol) : Special A, My Little Monster, Kaichou wa maid sama

I know there's a lot more I've seen that I forgot about, but yeah these are what come to mind.

so, tell me what great romance anime you've seen so I can check em out too! :D thanksss

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Here are some I've seen in the past that had a good balance of romance and comedy:

Toradora! / Tiger x Dragon
The feels on the bus go round and round. They start out as friends and through the main cast's antics, their love develops. I like the personalities of the two main characters, and the supporting characters have their features as well. Oh jeez, the ending.

Sukitte Ii na yo / Say I Love You
This one was cute and pleasant, and had its share of fluffy moments. It wasn't extraordinary, but the a very memorable part was their "first kiss" for me.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun/ My Little Monster
Just like you, I've seen this one, but I don't remember too much. The two main characters awesome, funny duo. They're such opposites, and they don't really know how a relationship works in the beginning.

Years
Kobato.
Like you mentioned, it was beautiful anime and was created by one of my favourite manga groups, CLAMP. I never read the manga beforehand so I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but boy did that ending leave an impression. Kobato is probably one of the very few, if not just the second, female characters that I actually like.

Sukitte Ii na Yo
To be honest, I mainly watched this because Sakurai Takahiro was voicing the main. It's not my favourite, but it's an honourable mention because of the character development and the direction the story was going.

Hakushaku to Yousei
Probably not a well-known series to many people, but I genuinely liked it. The music and characters were beautiful and the main female played hard-to-get with a playboy :P

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
I'll mention this one, but it's actually the manga that's more memorable than the anime. It's one of those series that the manga is much better than the anime adaptation, but still a good romance anime nonetheless. Although slightly old, unless you don't mind the animation quality.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
Gonna name a couple of my favorites

Clannad and AS

Clannad season 1 is a funny and pretty good romance/slice of life anime and one of the better romances out there... but season 2 (After Story) is just amazing... I would explain a bunch of reasons why, but it would probably spoil some things and we wouldn't want that now would we? :3

Tora Dora
^Twilight explained why, but just wanted to second it cause while it has many flaws it's still a really emotional engaging show and I loved it

Ano Natsu de Matteru
Made by the same folks who did one of my top ten favorite anime of any kind (Ano Hana) Ano Natsu does an amazing job just like AH in fleshing out its characters and making their interactions just what make the show stand out so much. As AnoHana does, this show has amazingly human characters which are developed very well and their relationships are just flat out amazing

Chuunibyo
Sweet lord I died of the cuteness...
Spoiler:

I don't really feel like typing anymore xD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Hard to add anything new since Tsubasa is mentioned =D
Anyways Tsubasa anime isn't finished (f*ck you BEE TRAIN) but manga is ;) And heck... that's one hellish finish o.O

Clannad was mentioned as well... the hell am I supposed to add? =D
Even though romance is my favorite genre, I've been pretty neglecting it for the past year :/
I guess I'll just add more Key =D
Air and Kanon - Even though they are not Clannad-level (What is? xD) they are still really great romances and if you like Clannad, you will love them as well.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
awesome thanks guys, gonna check some of these out <3

personally did not like clannad, I'm not sure why people praise it so much o: guess it's just not my cup of tea hehe

Kobato ftw, glad to see another fan of it!

Hakushaku to Yousei was awesome too, I really enjoyed it!

we seem to have similar tastes in romance anime Vanille, so I will definitely check your suggestions first!

thanks again everyone! if there are more suggestions feel free to post em ^^/

Years
awesome thanks guys, gonna check some of these out <3

personally did not like clannad, I'm not sure why people praise it so much o: guess it's just not my cup of tea hehe

Kobato ftw, glad to see another fan of it!

Hakushaku to Yousei was awesome too, I really enjoyed it!

we seem to have similar tastes in romance anime Vanille, so I will definitely check your suggestions first!

thanks again everyone! if there are more suggestions feel free to post em ^^/

Haha, glad you got some use out of my recommendations :P I honestly pulled series that were worth mentioning from my anime list. Though Satoshi also mentioned AIR, which is one that I've forgotten about. It has a lovely, though depressing, story and it also has an accompanying movie as well.

If you're looking for a romance anime movie, I would highly recommend Hotarubi no Mori e. My favourite movie by far, but it is quite depressing \:

Kimi ni Todoke
This one has 2 seasons, but I can only recall watching the first one. Regardless, it has a slice-of-life element along with comedy and the main character is very likeable or even relatable.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
woo more recommendations awesome thanks <33

hmm I'm in need of happy/cute stuff, so I will probably stray away from anything depressing c:

thanks again Vanille! <3

still open for more suggestions too, I'm gonna check out some of these this week for sure! dying for some romance awww yeah =D

@Whimsicott: omg I love the last two you mentioned <3 I did try to watch Toradora but the girl really got to me... i really cant stand mean girl characters like that ughhh lol but everyone says it's good so i might give it another shot

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I know you already have a lot but I just want to jump in ;~;

If you want something ongoing what about Nisekoi? It's been pretty okay so far, it's romance and has comedy too if you want something like that.

I also just want to second Sukitte ii na yo and Toradora, the first was pretty cute all around and TD is pretty solid. The main girl in TD also does start of pretty annoying, but she opens up more as the story progresses. I also personally didn't really like the first season of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ♥♥♥♥ai! very much, but the 2nd season seems to be a lot better so far, so if you're willing to push through the 1st one (a lot of people like it, so you might end up liking it too) the 2nd one is better :) It's also romance and comedy.

I also didn't really like Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun and Kaichou wa Maid-sama that much, but a lot of people do so maybe you could watch the first episode or so of each and if you like that you'll probably enjoy the rest. Also I know that you wanted happy things but at some point you should definitely watch Clannad because it's second season (After Story) is really good and should be a must-watch. ;~; Yes, recommending it even though I cried like three times lmao.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
My Little Monster - So many plot holes, so many unfinished story lines, so so so very cute. This entire series I was "awwwing" cause the two main lead's relationship and their interactions are just the cutest things in the entire world XD I love this anime as flawed as it was and I really hope that someone out there picks it up for a second season.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
wow thanks guys!

currently checking out Kimi no Todoke!gonna post here with some thoughts after i watch the first few eps c:

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
watching Kimi Ni Todoke now, really loving it so far ;w; gosh I'm already on episode 13 lolol I need to sleep!

this one has 2 seasons so it'll prolly take me a while couple days before im ready for a new one! I'll let you guys know what I start watching next

but omg, KNT is adorable >w< i can relate to the girl so much lol

EDIT: also, watching Kamisama Hajimemashi ta - it's amazing! HIGHLY recommend it!!

Last edited:
Back