• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Moves and Creating New Move Effects

Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2016
I edited the bold numbers, but the move missed with 0 (never miss) accuracy if I used Quiver Dance, so it worked like before. I tried to do this with Coil, but the game frozen. Both moves work fine with their "original" codes. Any idea?

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
I edited the bold numbers, but the move missed with 0 (never miss) accuracy if I used Quiver Dance, so it worked like before. I tried to do this with Coil, but the game frozen. Both moves work fine with their "original" codes. Any idea?

QDance works fine in the form I posted it. I checked coil posted by Garuga17. Indeed the game froze. So then I change 3 bytes for effects and it worked fine (accuracy and effect accuracy set to 0 in PGE for both moves):
Spoiler:

Apparently not all effects from Chaos Rush's list work well with modified version. For safety you can use the first method. Hope it'll help :)

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Here's a code for close combat:
Spoiler:

BTW the code for quiver dance was made by me. Could you fix it on the first page? :(

I AM SO SORRY! I fixed it. :) And added your Close Combat, and Garuga's Coil (I've been using Coil Arbok lately in NU...makes my day seeing that made haha). I'm glad this is being worked on! I tested those three codes by the way and they work perfectly; you guys did a great job.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2019
1D 00 00 00 00 01 00 69 1D 08 2E 85 3E 02 02[S-HIGHLIGHT] A3[/S-HIGHLIGHT] 1C 00 [S-HIGHLIGHT]07[/S-HIGHLIGHT] 00 00 00 77 04 90 08 28 00 69 1D 08 2E D2 3F 02 02 02 28 00 69 1D 08

itman can you check your code for wake up slap again? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work as chaos rush stated oh so long ago. One of the pointers is wrong (the one bolded) and should be 8D 80 1D 08. The 07 is correct and checks for sleep which is good. The A3 unfortunately doesn't wake the target. It simply does nothing, however I'm pretty sure that's the byte that needs to change to wake a the user. What the byte is, I'm unsure.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I don't now why but when I do this the pointers in PGE for animations are meesed up...

EDIT: Nevermind it seems it was only my Windows 8 laptop saying that when I transferred my file to my XP laptop everything looks fine...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
i try to do this few monts ago and i have always trouble when i lunch this

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Absolutely fantastic tutorial, it's so easy to follow and allows for some real high level hacking.
I had one problem though, probably from copy an offset wrong by 1 byte, because all the new
moves are missing the first letter. So growl becomes rowl. For example. Also there is one move
(and only one) that seems to cause the program to crash. I'll try redoing the tutorial again to see if it was just the way in which I did it the first time!
But honestly, really amazing, especially combined with Chaos_Rush's custom animations.

EDIT: After refollowing the tutorial I no longer have a problem with the New names. However the new moves which
take the names of Defense Curl, Psywave, Focus Energy and Reflect cause the application to crash. Has this happened to anyone else?
It says unhandled exception, yada yada. But then 'Argument 'RecordNumber' is not a valid value'
So this must mean there's a problem in the hex for the move data right? If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know!

Last edited:

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Absolutely fantastic tutorial, it's so easy to follow and allows for some real high level hacking.
I had one problem though, probably from copy an offset wrong by 1 byte, because all the new
moves are missing the first letter. So growl becomes rowl. For example. Also there is one move
(and only one) that seems to cause the program to crash. I'll try redoing the tutorial again to see if it was just the way in which I did it the first time!
But honestly, really amazing, especially combined with Chaos_Rush's custom animations.

EDIT: After refollowing the tutorial I no longer have a problem with the New names. However the new moves which
take the names of Defense Curl, Psywave, Focus Energy and Reflect cause the application to crash. Has this happened to anyone else?
It says unhandled exception, yada yada. But then 'Argument 'RecordNumber' is not a valid value'
So this must mean there's a problem in the hex for the move data right? If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know!

I had similar problem (at least with psywave). To fix it:
1. Make back up of your rom and ini file.
2. Open your rom wirh hex editor and go to offset: 0x4886E8.
3. Select block: 4*354=1416 bytes and copy (description attack table).
4. Use FSF, find 1416 bytes or find your own location (write down that location), select block 1416 and paste. (I pasted my at 0x950000).
5. Repointing: Go to the begining of file, Edit->Replace...->Find box: E8864808, Replace box: 00009508 (or pointer to your location from step 4) with direction down. Replace all.
6. Go to 0x950000 select block : 4*157=628 bytes, copy.
7. Go to end of new table (0x950000, first FF), select block 628 and paste.
8. Save and exit.
9. Open your ini file in notebook and go to AttackDescriptionTable for BPRE and change its value from &H4886E8 to &H950000.

I hope it'll fix the problem. :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
first of all i have to say that this is a GREAT tutorial. before i read this one, i have zero knowledge about hex, now i can create my own moves.

here i have two custom moves. the only reason why i created them is because i was annoyed that two very good ability is not created yet in gen III, which are known as "Snow Warning" and "Imposter". and we all know how difficult it is to edit/create an ability, so why don't we just make moves that mimicking their effect? so i created them just for fun, here they are:

The first one is Carbon Copy. It is meant to help Ditto a lot. I created this move as a replacement for Imposter.
00 02 03 9B 09 0A 13 B4 E5 3F 08 12 40 00 15 2E 85 3E 02 02 08 15 28 4E 69 1D 08
Basically it is just Transform + flinched effect, and add priority 5 = works like Imposter, right?. To make this move work, just edit ind PGE attack editor and give the "priority" 5 and "effect accuracy" 100. sadly, Inner Focus is still unaffected :( , but it is still much better than Transform, right? :D
EDIT: for type, use Dark not Normal, because it has no resistance. i don't remember if transform works for ghost type (because it is normal), just in case.
second one is Cold Call. I created this move as a replacement for Snow Warning.
00 02 03 C8 15 2E 85 3E 02 02 08 15 28 14 7A 1D 08
just like Carbon Copy, it is just Hail + flinched + top priority. it still cause the hail only 5 turns, but you are still able to use it again and again. for the animation, just imagine it like Roar/Growl + Ice background (like Sheer cold/Icy wind background) or whatever crossed to your mind.
those moves work for me, but you can try it and just tell if there is problem.

@itman: yes you did make a great tutorial, but replacing those pointer (like step 12) is such a pain in the feebass. you said like "just find them and replace them one by one" and there are like 200+ pointers. actually you can just use "edit>replace" or simply press ctrl+H, it saves you time.

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
it is just Hail + flinched + top priority. it still cause the hail only 5 turns, but you are still able to use it again and again. for the animation, just imagine it like Roar/Growl + Ice background (like Sheer cold/Icy wind background) or whatever crossed to your mind.

Abomasnow used Cold Call! Foe Ninetales flinched! Foe Ninetales is hurt by hail!
Abomasnow used Cold Call! Foe Ninetales flinched! Foe Ninetales is hurt by hail!
Foe Ninetales fainted!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
Foe Ninetales fainted!

oh my, i feel VERY stupid. never think about it tbh. sure it makes the moves broken, and makes you win, in a very cheap way. to use it or not to use it, that's the question

EDIT: thank you for pointing that out. i tried it, but no, that won't happen!!

because the "basic move command" i use is from Hail,
now try this: use regular Hail, or even rain dance or sunny day, and use it again when it is still in effect (before 5 turns)! what happens is the move fails, it just says "But it failed!"
so when you use Cold Call before 5 turns, the move fails, and the effect, that will make the foe flinched, even if it is still in 100 accuracy, will also fail

which means Cold Call is pretty Cool now!!! :D

and for Carbon Copy don't make it as Normal type, because of the Ghost. Dark would be better as it has no resistance and it kinda fits because Imposter or carbon copy in this case is little bit "tricky" if not "dirty".
:)

Last edited:

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Here's a code for clear smog:

Spoiler:

MrDollSteak

Years
I had similar problem (at least with psywave). To fix it:
1. Make back up of your rom and ini file.
2. Open your rom wirh hex editor and go to offset: 0x4886E8.
3. Select block: 4*354=1416 bytes and copy (description attack table).
4. Use FSF, find 1416 bytes or find your own location (write down that location), select block 1416 and paste. (I pasted my at 0x950000).
5. Repointing: Go to the begining of file, Edit->Replace...->Find box: E8864808, Replace box: 00009508 (or pointer to your location from step 4) with direction down. Replace all.
6. Go to 0x950000 select block : 4*157=628 bytes, copy.
7. Go to end of new table (0x950000, first FF), select block 628 and paste.
8. Save and exit.
9. Open your ini file in notebook and go to AttackDescriptionTable for BPRE and change its value from &H4886E8 to &H950000.

I hope it'll fix the problem. :)

Thanks so much!

That did the trick for all the moves!

MrDollSteak

Years
You're welcome :). By the way, you can easily change descriptions of moves using XSE.

Hahah yeah, I didn't realise that the descriptions were the reason why it was failing, I was just going to add them later once I had the moves done.

Also just about your Quiver Dance code, do you have to set it to 100 accuracy? Because I put it to 0 accuracy like other stat-up moves like growth and swords dance, and it keeps saying quiver dance missed.

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Hahah yeah, I didn't realise that the descriptions were the reason why it was failing, I was just going to add them later once I had the moves done.

Also just about your Quiver Dance code, do you have to set it to 100 accuracy? Because I put it to 0 accuracy like other stat-up moves like growth and swords dance, and it keeps saying quiver dance missed.

For answer see post #40 in this thread. You can also check post #42.http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7516629&postcount=40

MrDollSteak

Years
For answer see post #40 in this thread. You can also check post #42.http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7516629&postcount=40

Thanks again! You're my hero hahahahh

QDance works fine in the form I posted it. I checked coil posted by Garuga17. Indeed the game froze. So then I change 3 bytes for effects and it worked fine (accuracy and effect accuracy set to 0 in PGE for both moves):
Spoiler:

Apparently not all effects from Chaos Rush's list work well with modified version. For safety you can use the first method. Hope it'll help :)

Hrm actually, after using this effect accuracy set to 0 is fine, but if the accuracy is set to 0 it misses regardless. Same with the new quiver dance.

Last edited:

pawell6

The truthseeker
Years
Hrm actually, after using this effect accuracy set to 0 is fine, but if the accuracy is set to 0 it misses regardless. Same with the new quiver dance.

Everything works fine for me. I made some screenshots to show it (ignore descriptions for now, I'll fix that later)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
That's because you're using the normal hit/miss calculator which is inherently wrong here. You should in face be checking the special status bits for the few special statuses which would cause this to miss!

If an attack never misses, you MUST leave out the 01 command! Instead you should be doing:

Code:
22 00 C0 00 04 00 00 F2 7D 1D 08

This checks if the target is in the middle phase of surf, dig, fly or bounce and makes the move miss if it is. Otherwise it hits without fail.

MrDollSteak

Years
That's because you're using the normal hit/miss calculator which is inherently wrong here. You should in face be checking the special status bits for the few special statuses which would cause this to miss!

If an attack never misses, you MUST leave out the 01 command! Instead you should be doing:

Code:
22 00 C0 00 04 00 00 F2 7D 1D 08

This checks if the target is in the middle phase of surf, dig, fly or bounce and makes the move miss if it is. Otherwise it hits without fail.

Would this mean that quiver dance and coil would miss if the target is flying or digging? And the 01 command I'm assuming finishes at the 08 that comes after it? So I would have to erase the entire 01 command and replace it with code?

Would the code for Quiver Dance look like this then?

00 02 03 1D 00 00 00 00 22 00 C0 00 04 00 00 F2 7D 1D 08 CC 69 1D 08 1C etc....
Thanks for the quick response and help!

EDIT: Just realised the target is the user, so the move won't miss if you're flying..... because you can't use two moves at the same time. I'm silly. I still don't really understand where to insert the new code, do I only remove the byte that says 01 or the whole string from 01 to the pointer?
Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
Back