• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adjusting to the Culture..

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Playing on Slenderman's thread about stereotypes, I'd like to ask you all this:

What is a perception that foreigners (may) have of your country/race/nationality that's totally (or fairly) true?

Years
What are the stereotypes of Americans? We're stupidly optimistic, think the world revolves around us, consume everything in our path, sleep with our guns and bibles, etc. etc.

Really, the only thing I can think of that seems to be slightly accurate of most Americans is the kind of casual/easygoing/social/personable stereotype. You know, that one where Americans ask you your name and want to shake your hand and talk openly. I think most of us have some variation of that in us.

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
The Dutch tend to have a no-nonsense attitude, rather blunt, straight to the point, sometimes inconsiderately so, but paradoxically polite towards complete strangers. The Dutch tend to feel free to say exactly what is on their minds, even if the statement is negative, but they tend to do so without impulsive attacks on the personality, rather, it's just a direct and neutral attention towards a maculity they find, without the purpose of making the person feel awkward about him or herself.

On the flipside; while the Dutch never intend to say these things to hurt another, if they do take the remark gravely, there's not a glimpse of sympathy that'll come from them.

Also, they can't make orderly queues, ever. That particular ineptness tends to frustrate the Brits whenever there's a Dutchman jumping the queue.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I honestly don't know. I know Australians are stereotypically laid back ("She'll be right, mate" - I shudder at the thought) but I'm honestly not out in Australian culture often enough to notice, and even if I were I wouldn't have much basis for comparison outside of TV shows.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I don't know, I find a lot of Americans to be really ****ing obnoxious.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Canadians, oh Canadians.

People think we only eat maple syrup, live in igloos, have pet beavers or mooses, always say eh, We got winter 24/7 everyday of the year.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I do think that British people, on the whole, tend to be a bit more reserved than our continental and American neighbours. That often gets played up a bit too much in American depictions of Brits, but it certainly has a ring of truth to it, from my experience. At least before alcohol gets involved...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Not going with America in general because too many people are from America here so that's boring. Going with NJ instead!

NJ (southern at least) stereotypes tend to be brash, straightforward, loud. In my experience a lot of that is true; I've definitely seen more blunt, loud people in NJ than anywhere else in the country I've been.

Back