• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Male or Female Characters?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Do you stick to one gender when RP'ing, or do you pick of both sides? Which gender is easiest to write for you, and does it even matter when you write?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I usually use Male as my main character, but sometimes I use a female, but only when I already have 1 male in the game. As a writer, you kinda have to know how to do both genders.

And it is far easier for me to RP as a male, as I am a male. :p

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
I used to only do male characters, my own gender, as most people tend to when starting off with this sort of thing. It's difficult and perhaps somewhat awkward for some to branch out in gender of characters, especially when one considers that most RP characters contain aspects on the writer.

However once you're over this, as I now am, character gender becomes irrelevant in most cases and I like to think that I'll write a character based on what RP they're in and what gender would suit them better personally.

In short, the character gender I use depends on the RP and character themselves.

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
i only ever write female characters, simply because i don't have enough of an understanding of the male mind to consider myself fit to write as one ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ

i'd really like to work on that though. but i don't really know how, haha

Years
To be honest, the first time I played in an RP it was as a female, since that was the character I was given. I've never really understood the separation between "male mind" and "female mind", so my characters tend to play out similarly regardless of gender.

In the end, it comes down to which gender better matches the style I want to play. Or, for comedic effect, which gender fits worse. I kinda like to play against type sometimes.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
Most of my characters tend to be female. It's simply how I envision them. Gender isn't something that is important in making a character; it's merely a field that I quickly fill up. Sometimes I make characters that go against gender norms/stereotypes.

Well, I have 4 RPs planned, and they're all male. I tend to stick with what I know.
I had no idea that roleplays had genders xD

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I've only got one female character, and that rp hasn't even started yet. I think guys are much easier to write as, as I believe there's more complexity behind female characters.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
My very first character was male, and my second character was female.

There really isn't a difference when writing different genders. Personalities aren't at all restricted to one gender, so I don't understand when people say one is harder to write or that they wouldn't know how to write the other gender.

Nowadays, a vast majority of my characters seem to be female, though I try to maintain a balance between the two genders. Funny that the gender I play as more isn't even my own, so I guess I break that stereotype there.

Years
My very first character was male, and my second character was female.

There really isn't a difference when writing different genders. Personalities aren't at all restricted to one gender, so I don't understand when people say one is harder to write or that they wouldn't know how to write the other gender.

This.

I never understand why people find writing as a different gender so hard. Personality and gender have never been linked and never will be linked outside of stereotypes and cliches. I am equally comfortable writing as a male or female character, it is the personality of that character that makes them easier/more difficult to RP as for me.

For example, the character I find hardest to write is my Titans character who is male. He's a early fun character but his personality is very different that the characters I used to play. If I were to have created an arrogant female with a superiority complex I would undoubtedly have found her easier to play (although perhaps not as fun).

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
I write as both genders, and the only reason I have so many more female characters under my belt is that RP gender ratios used to be VERY uneven. I'd join an RP and there would be like six male character SUs and maybe two female SUs, so I would make a female character.

Like gimmepie and Nakuzami have said, their gender doesn't affect how I create them or their personalities, although I do tend to portray them a little bit differently. I figure that as long as you treat both of them as fully-fledged characters then you'll be fine.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I write for both genders. I don't linger too much on gender or sexuality when I'm roleplaying, so often those differences don't affect my character - personalities, hobbies, etc. can apply to either.

I'm enjoying playing a badass fire-manipulating woman at the moment. :)

Years
i only ever write female characters, simply because i don't have enough of an understanding of the male mind to consider myself fit to write as one...

Ya... same here. I don't think I'd be able to properly RP a male unless I cross referenced situations between different guys I know to get a gist of how a man would typically act in a given situation.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
When I started roleplaying in general, I solely used male characters, because I thought that would be easier to start with, but I noticed there's not much difference between the two, as already mentioned above. I like to alternate the two, to easier separate the character's personalities in my mind, otherwise I might confuse them. When I don't really have a preference in the RP I'm joining, I pick the gender the least people have chosen at that point.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I've only got one female character, and that rp hasn't even started yet. I think guys are much easier to write as, as I believe there's more complexity behind female characters.

I usually stick to the Male side since i still have no idea what can go on in a womans mind.
Why are you guys downplaying your own worth? Make characters can be complex, just like female can. I like playing as both genders in roughly equal numbers. Men and women aren't that different and I'm a bit sad that some never try to play as the opposite gender. It does affect how other characters view you in situations, since roleplays often have societies similar to our own where there is a difference. Whether we want it or not.

But really give girls a try :)

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
People claim to "not know how a different gender's mind works", so they stick to their gender, and I used to do so too until I realized something: I don't know how anyone's mind works other than myself's, so when I RP'd as a male, it wasn't a generic male, it was always me playing as myself (which is no bueno).

So, now I find RP'ing as a female to be more enjoyable because I know for a fact that I'm not RP'ing as myself and I can really immerse myself in a truly different character.

So, I'd definitely recommend switching your character's genders and "diving on the deep end"; after all, you won't hit your head against the floor of the deep end.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
the only way there would be a stark contrast between male and female characters is if you were to go with roleplaying as stereotypes

and considering many people still believe I'm actually female, I think it's safe to say playing the opposite gender isn't all that difficult. Focus on the writing, not the confines of societal norms! c;

Back