• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Region speculation/what will the region be based on?

Why Not

Genwunner and proud
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 21, 2017
I want a place based on Canada, cause I like Canada. Though, I guess Sinnoh was already pretty similar to Canada and going off of the hotel shown the new region seems to be based on Singapore or some other similar place.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I can't really see them revisiting an old region in a brand new game outside of a remake.

You realize that GF actually has done that before?

However, that's only even more of a reason to believe that SM won't be RBY sequels. RBY already had sequels, and threequels rarely work out well. What left is there to tell about Kanto when GSC already gave the region closure? The door was slammed pretty hard on Team Rocket's story, and it would only feel ridiculous and forced for them to return for a third time. And, who wants to see a completely brand new, unrelated Evil Team in an iconic, familiar region? Kanto stops being Kanto when you start replacing all of the old characters with brand new ones just for the sake of story.

SM are very likely Generation 7 and will be set in a brand-new region. We could still see an older region return as a postgame storyline, but it's been so long since GF last did that, the odds are pretty low.

Smiffy01

Ace Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
I think it will be a new awesome region that is unexplored and full of adventure!

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Since Red, Blue, and Yellow Pokemon are compatible with the new games, could the Gen. 7 region be Kanto, only updated with new features and technologies? IMO it would make sense because the games will be somewhat related.

I doubt it will happen, but I would love that! :3
Except that we might find this map small with all we got now.. I would be nice as an expansion. Like they did in B2/W2.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
Years
I would quit Pokemon forever. I'm not even joking. That would rub me the wrong way. Leave Kanto for its own thing. It had its nice little postgame cameo in Gen II and its own thing in Gen I. It doesn't need anymore. If GameFreak decided to take that lazy path and give us a carbon copy story, I'd be done with them. They have to pull out all the stops this year and give us something amazing and new. Anything short of that would be a huge disappointment, seeing how they've built up Pokemon20.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Region and Story speculation.

Based on the concept art I'm thinking the region is based on somewhere Mediterranean, I'm guessing Spain due to Hotel Horsea and the Jeep shown and Spain is kinda dry/desert-y.

Story wise, I think its still connection to Kalos, the name of these games are 'Sun' and 'Moon', at first thought you might think Chinese. The sun and moon are also a big deal in Norse mythology. Such as when Skoll and Hati chasing the sun and moon, and when they consume them the world goes into darkness / ragnarok.

Thoughts?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I would quit Pokemon forever. I'm not even joking. That would rub me the wrong way. Leave Kanto for its own thing. It had its nice little postgame cameo in Gen II and its own thing in Gen I. It doesn't need anymore. If GameFreak decided to take that lazy path and give us a carbon copy story, I'd be done with them. They have to pull out all the stops this year and give us something amazing and new. Anything short of that would be a huge disappointment, seeing how they've built up Pokemon20.

Luckily for you, I don't think that'll happen. The fact that Kanto already has a sequel significantly decreases the odds of it getting another one, and it seems pretty obvious that GF wants to use the RBY VC re-release as a substitute for a new Kanto game/remake, anyways.

Years
To be fair, that seems to be more about continuity, and hence you might not expect something completely new. As far as new Pokemon, it looks more like something you'd expect from a new region, and in that sense Kanto is unlikely to be involved except perhaps nominally. As said, with Yellow and G/S/C, Kanto has probably been brought up in more variations than the other regions, and hence resurrecting it might be unlikely, although it could happen if they felt the need at some point.

That said, if you're expecting something from this year for that reason, would some games revisiting the earlier region really come across as enough to put you off the games? You might expect some sort of homage to such games, as otherwise it just becomes a series of games which is slightly more hyped up than usual, and perhaps slightly hurried despite the time in-between.

Kanto on a 3DS would be weird, however, and perhaps slightly overcrowded and unwieldy, so they may not want to go down that route.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I actually really dig the idea of another story set in Kanto. It's unlikely but it'd be cool to maybe see new places and parts of the region that we haven't seen before.

Wait, where does it say the new region is tropical? 0.o
The region being tropical is an assumption based on the concepts art seen in the trailer. One can see palm trees in the picture with what seems to be an Aquarium or Hotel.

During late summer Masuda was in southern France, saying he was "studying" on twitter where he shared images of the sites he saw. This region might be based on southern France which has a more tropical climate than the north.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
Years
To be fair, that seems to be more about continuity, and hence you might not expect something completely new. As far as new Pokemon, it looks more like something you'd expect from a new region, and in that sense Kanto is unlikely to be involved except perhaps nominally. As said, with Yellow and G/S/C, Kanto has probably been brought up in more variations than the other regions, and hence resurrecting it might be unlikely, although it could happen if they felt the need at some point.

That said, if you're expecting something from this year for that reason, would some games revisiting the earlier region really come across as enough to put you off the games? You might expect some sort of homage to such games, as otherwise it just becomes a series of games which is slightly more hyped up than usual, and perhaps slightly hurried despite the time in-between.

Kanto on a 3DS would be weird, however, and perhaps slightly overcrowded and unwieldy, so they may not want to go down that route.

There's a difference between revisiting regions and just basing a game in a region that's already been done before simply so they don't have to put any work into the games. As a post-game gimmick? sure, throw whatever you want into the post-game. That was one of the charming things about Gen II. As the region the game is based in? I'd honestly skip the games. I would not buy into them rehashing the Kanto region again. It's lazy and seriously lacking in creativity. If that turned out to be their big "20th anniversary" bang, it would break my heart.

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I've heard from people on another form that the region may also be based off of Spain because in 2013 Masuda rook a visit to Barcelona, Spain and really enjoyed it.

As my friend TerraCotta stated; "Barcelona being right on the coast of the Mediterranean. Also two of the artworks shown in the trailer feature the Pokemon Horsea, a Fountain and most importantly a flag. The flag of the Mediterranean flag has a seahorse on it.
Some say Singapore because the architecture of many of the buildings in the art we've seen are reminiscent of it. But my money's honestly on Spain."

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Straight from Pokemon website,
"Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in holiday 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!"

end of thread right there.

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
I read somewhere that Masuda actually went to Spain before this announcement. Not really sure if that's true because I don't follow him on Twitter. However, Spain would make a lot of sense. The close proximity to France (Kalos) also gives it the possibility of expansion.

XY honestly felt incomplete. I hope this game does fill up the missing pieces.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years

Literal same to this.

It won't be Kanto, that'd be really stupid, since it's being advertised as a new generation =/

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Straight from Pokemon website,
"Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in holiday 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!"

end of thread right there.
I remember that ORAS pretty much had the same description. (Minus "new Pokemon") So I heavily distrust any of this marketspeak. Unless some real person says it in real words, I don't trust it.

So I doubt it's Kanto, but I'm paranoid and don't trust anything, so I really hope it isn't. I mean, yes, that would be perfect for the series' anniversary, but I'd rather have a new region that has heavy homages to all of the other regions than just... more Kanto. God, I am so sick of all of this Gen I nostalgia. I'm glad you're finally realizing that there are older fans of the series, Gamefreak, but this is really where I'd draw the line.

Back