• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What To Do With Useless Pokemon?

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
What do you guys do with useless Pokemon (such as Dunsparce) that clog up your PC? I know that abandoning them is a possible solution but I always feel really, really bad doing that.
Blasphemous, Dunsparce is awesome!

...Why couldn't they give him an evolution! ;-;

I just don't catch them or box them forever, or release them so they're registered on my dex as captured.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I catch them so they can register in my Pokedex, in the next nearby town I release them back in the wild.

Majority of my boxes are empty, I just keep the Pokemon I will need for trade (between one of my Pokemon games to another - as I don't have WiFi), or breeding

Or for rotation, we can only have 6 Pokemon at a time, sometimes I like to give other Pokemon a try so I keep them around, the Pokemon I like I will leave temporarily in the PC and give the new Pokemon a try. If it doesn't work out with the new Pokemon it will get released back in the wild.

Years
Some of the Pokémon I catch early on I don't like to release for some reason. =(

But others i'll get rid of eventually if necessary. If i'm trying to complete my Pokédex or something, then my boxes will be pretty packed.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 14, 2013
The PokeBank/Pokemon Bank is a 3ds app coming out in december to transfer Pokemon from older games, as well as be basically be a Cloud Storage Box system (like Pokemon Box/Pokemon Ranch) for the yearly fee of 5$ a Year
fix
Not month a year only $5 a year

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I have a box labeled "BOXoFAME" (text limits) to keep things like team members I don't have anymore (i.e. kricketune), legendaries (palkia), rare pokemon (drifbloon), my fav. pokemon (shedinja), or shinies (none so far)

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
how about...try using them for once? dunsparce is NOT useless, with coil roost glare it can wreck anything ingame very easily.

in fact for ingame everything can be used, while competitively every pokemon can be used in their respective tiers as well.

Mystify

confused
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 10, 2020
I keep them in the PC and sometimes I'll find a purpose for them. I had a shiny Meowth in White that I didn't think would be very great for competitive battling or anything like that but I spent time leveling her up and keeping her in my party so she could use her Pickup ability to find items. All depends on the Pokémon. I don't think any are completely useless.

Years
When I was younger I just tried catching every Pokemon that I saw and didn't already have, and let a majority of them just sit in the box for eternity.

Now that I don't really care about completing the Pokedex anymore, I'll only catch the Pokemon I know that I'm going to use for at least a little while, otherwise I just see it as wasting Poke Balls. Sure, there are some I'll get through different things like the GTS and the Safari Zone that I don't really plan on using, but those Pokemon are few and far between now compared to before. My last look at HeartGold for example, I had only 2 1/2 boxes full of Pokemon after hundreds of hours played, whereas on my original Sapphire I had to start releasing Pokemon because I had way too many in my PC (this led to me inadvertently finding that I had a shiny Shroomish in one of my boxes, though).

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
I leave mine in the PC, or I might even chuck them to another trainer, but, I would never, ever let mine rot... I'm surprised there aren't any PeTA like people in the games... They'd have you jailed!

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
I have never had useless Pokémon. And I have catch a ton of them.
I just know how to use them to it's fullest potential, even if it's just one small purpose.
Any Pokémon can be useless, even legendaries. Hard work and effort could change the general opinion on a certain Pokémon. Remember that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
Dunsparce is not useless. It has high HP and OK defenses. Can be used as a bulk/staller if used correctly.

Unown is useless.

Train them, enjoy them, experiment and have som fun in the E4.

NRG

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 9, 2015
If i kept every useless pokemon I hatched I'd have no room in the pc! I usually release them but occasionally I'll wonder trade a few charmanders or w/e

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
If you have a Pokemon with you that you don't want, Wonder Trade it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Most pokemon I can find something to do with them, but if they're extremely useless (like level 1 magikarp) then I either leave them in my PC or just let them go.

fireflystorm

shsl loser
Years
I never did serious breeding or catching in previous games so I never had issues before, but now I have never enough boxes... So I normally release them, sad as that may be. That goes primarily for things I know people would never want, like Lv. 30 Bibarel (no HA) or like, Lv. 3 Pansear. When it comes to things that are a little cooler or version exclusives (Vivillon, a ton of Noibats, Clawitzers and such) I keep them in trade boxes, which I fill with stuff I want to use as trade barter or wonder trades. I always feel a little bad about the ones I release but I guess that's the price we pay. @_@

Back