• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2010
I think your hack is one of the best
but ... maps are too small
as a suggestion you could enlarge the maps

yfrog.com/7252121711p

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
this hack is really good i simply love the day and night feature.
icon10.gif
Generic, but OK.
I think your hack is one of the best
but ... maps are too small
as a suggestion you could enlarge the maps

yfrog.com/7252121711p
Maps are too small? What?
They're trying to be as close as possible to the original Crystal, and thatw as the size they were there...

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Oh My Gosh!

This is so awesome ^ -^
I like how it all fits together with scripts and stuff
i like the Dude Back sprite u put in
and the music is awesome

Beta 2 will be one for the history books

But on another note
When i battle silver for the first time
Outside of battle it says "???:<speech here>"
Then in battle it calls silver ??
I know its not much :/ just thought u'd like to know
anyways you rock!

Sierraffinity

Years
Any cool things you want to show us?
At the moment, not really, no.
I've been working on Shining Opal because my schedule's like this:
Work on CrystalDust
Release CrystalDust
Wait for bugs to be announced
Fix bugs
Work on Shining Opal
Release Shining Opal
Wait for bugs to be announced
Fix bugs

I'm at the bolded stage.
Oh My Gosh!

This is so awesome ^ -^
I like how it all fits together with scripts and stuff
i like the Dude Back sprite u put in
and the music is awesome

Beta 2 will be one for the history books

But on another note
When i battle silver for the first time
Outside of battle it says "???:<speech here>"
Then in battle it calls silver ??
I know its not much :/ just thought u'd like to know
anyways you rock!
Thanks for the comment!
But, it doesn't refer to Silver outside of battle at all...
It just says his speech.
And in-battle, in the first battle, he's called ???.

ZH11000

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2011
This is great!
I hope so that you finish this.
I mean, Awesome scripts, great maps, sprites are cool,
everything is just so awesome. I like how you made the special
'dude' backsprite! this is great. and the music... it sounds like
nintendo inserted it! GREAT! I love it! keep up the good work man ;)

pirateof7sea

I shall crush your hope even if there is none.
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
How long are you going to a complete Beta 2? I cant wait to play Beta 2!!
Hope Beta 3 cannot finish Kanto ~

Sierraffinity

Years
This is great!
I hope so that you finish this.
I mean, Awesome scripts, great maps, sprites are cool,
everything is just so awesome. I like how you made the special
'dude' backsprite! this is great. and the music... it sounds like
nintendo inserted it! GREAT! I love it! keep up the good work man ;)
Thanks a ton!
Commenters like you keep me motivated.
How long are you going to a complete Beta 2? I cant wait to play Beta 2!!
Hope Beta 3 cannot finish Kanto ~
Erm, I suppose you mean can...
Anyways, Beta 2? Hmm...
Work on that should start somewhere in 2011, or after I finish Shining Opal Beta 3.

Starmine

» Keep it simple
Years
Looks awesome, just fantastic. I was working on the same thing, a gsc remake based on emerald.. you posted yours faster so well, dont try to stop this project, eh? ;3

Just impressive what young people like you already can do. Great job, I'll follow this.

Years
  • Age 31
  • NY
  • Seen Feb 12, 2016
Love the game, the OWs, the scripting accuracy, etc. But I think you should take a Shiny Gold esque approach. Add some of your own scripts, make the game a bit harder when we get to Kanto. Make us feel like we're playing a BETTER version of Crystal. I've been looking through Shiny Gold and changing some things to make my own private completed version of the game, and I've seen that Zel really made an effort to keep the storyline the same, but add his own personal touch at the same time. The Pokenav-Pokegear idea was great, and if you can do that, it's limitless to what else you can add in. Without extras, it'd just be Pokemon Crystal all over again! I loved Crystal, but I really want to see a change of pace with this hack. Good luck!

EDIT: Also, you forgot to add Phanpy to Route 46, which was a big part of the Crystal experience! Just saying (;

Last edited:
Years
This is diegoisawesome's ROM Hack not yours. The game is fine just the way it is, it doesn't need anything new unless Game Freak (NOT NINTENDO) did it. I am tired of these GSC remakes having stupid changes that were not even in the game, it just takes the fun out of it for me. I am glad it gives the same feeling as Pokemon Crystal, this is my only favorite GSC remake! Besides HG/SS, but they are the offical remakes though.

Sierraffinity

Years
Looks awesome, just fantastic. I was working on the same thing, a gsc remake based on emerald.. you posted yours faster so well, dont try to stop this project, eh? ;3

Just impressive what young people like you already can do. Great job, I'll follow this.
Thanks, that's awesome.
Also, I'm sorry about your hack, but, since you want to be on my team, just send me the proof of work.
Love the game, the OWs, the scripting accuracy, etc. But I think you should take a Shiny Gold esque approach. Add some of your own scripts, make the game a bit harder when we get to Kanto. Make us feel like we're playing a BETTER version of Crystal. I've been looking through Shiny Gold and changing some things to make my own private completed version of the game, and I've seen that Zel really made an effort to keep the storyline the same, but add his own personal touch at the same time. The Pokenav-Pokegear idea was great, and if you can do that, it's limitless to what else you can add in. Without extras, it'd just be Pokemon Crystal all over again! I loved Crystal, but I really want to see a change of pace with this hack. Good luck!

EDIT: Also, you forgot to add Phanpy to Route 46, which was a big part of the Crystal experience! Just saying (;
Awesome answer below.
Also, Phanpy was in Route 46 in the morning, and since there isn't time-of-day wild Pokémon, I used the daytime Pokémon. Sorry. :(
This is diegoisawesome's ROM Hack not yours. The game is fine just the way it is, it doesn't need anything new unless Game Freak (NOT NINTENDO) did it. I am tired of these GSC remakes having stupid changes that were not even in the game, it just takes the fun out of it for me. I am glad it gives the same feeling as Pokemon Crystal, this is my only favorite GSC remake! Besides HG/SS, but they are the offical remakes though.
I agree (almost) completely. For some hacks, having some extras that weren't in the original storyline works fine, but CrystalDust is having an almost-perfect, almost-unchanged Crystal experience on the GBA. I, like you, don't like hacks that go overboard with the changes, though. I saw a hack that had a petting zoo in Cherrygrove or something and I was like "o_o wut". Hehe, good times.

Anyways, many people don't seem to get that CrystalDust is trying to be an almost-exact remake of Crystal, and that the new stuff is coming after everything in Crystal's been said and done.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Anyways, many people don't seem to get that CrystalDust is trying to be an almost-exact remake of Crystal, and that the new stuff is coming after everything in Crystal's been said and done.
So I'm guessing that pretty much means that Kanto will look like a post apocalyptic wasteland like it was in G/S/C, and that there will be pathetically low levels because you're not going to fix the problem where you could challenge Chuck, Jasmine, and Pryce in almost any order you want. And is Johto going to be filled with Kanto Pokemon again, and are most Johto Pokemon going to be practically mythological just like in G/S/C/HG/SS? And will Route 23 actually exist?

You do realize that the reason why Kanto was so tiny in G/S/C and removed so many things (such as Viridian Forest), was due to the game's 2mb limit? Judging by the PokeNav map, you're going to leave Kanto in it's ruined G/S/C state. Why are you going to do that, when the problem that caused that in G/S/C doesn't affect you, since you have a lot more space?

EDIT: Then again, not everybody views those as problems, since you said you like your G/S/C vanilla. But this is just my opinion, but I think G/S/C/HG/SS are flawed games.

Sierraffinity

Years
So I'm guessing that pretty much means that Kanto will look like a post apocalyptic wasteland like it was in G/S/C, and that there will be pathetically low levels because you're not going to fix the problem where you could challenge Chuck, Jasmine, and Pryce in almost any order you want. And is Johto going to be filled with Kanto Pokemon again, and are most Johto Pokemon going to be practically mythological just like in G/S/C/HG/SS? And will Route 23 actually exist?

You do realize that the reason why Kanto was so tiny in G/S/C and removed so many things (such as Viridian Forest), was due to the game's 2mb limit? Judging by the PokeNav map, you're going to leave Kanto in it's ruined G/S/C state. Why are you going to do that, when the problem that caused that in G/S/C doesn't affect you, since you have a lot more space?

EDIT: Then again, not everybody views those as problems, since you said you like your G/S/C vanilla. But this is just my opinion, but I think G/S/C/HG/SS are flawed games.
I get what you're saying. But as you said in the last paragraph, I do like my GSC vanilla. It represents what happened to Kanto in the three years between RBY and GSC.
What I could do, however, is something, maybe, with Viridian Forest (maybe) because, I agree, that was just BAD. But other things will stay the same as in GSC.

And "post-apocalyptic wasteland"? I think that's a bit too harsh, don't you think? After all, the only really badly affected things were Viridian Forest and Mt. Moon, from what I can remember.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
And "post-apocalyptic wasteland"? I think that's a bit too harsh, don't you think? After all, the only really badly affected things were Viridian Forest and Mt. Moon, from what I can remember.

*Safari Zone is gone (though it was originally supposed to be there cuz there's map data) (HG/SS had it turned into Pal Park, which is reasonable)
*Cerulean Cave is gone (HG/SS fixed this)
*Cinnabar Island conveniently destroyed by volcano, which equates to less map data
*Viridian Forest turned into "Viridian Bushes" (HG/SS fixed this)
*Pokemon Tower conveniently turned into a radio tower, which equates to less map data
*Pewter City Museum closed (HG/SS fixed this)
*Route 23 practically doesn't exist

And also, the map problems (this does not affect HG/SS, since HG/SS made the maps bigger than FR/LG, in comparison to G/S/C making it smaller than R/B/Y.) All of these maps shrunk from R/B/Y (yes, I checked map dimensions):
*Diglett's Cave was moved to Vermilion City, which caused the main part of Vermilion City to shrink (map dimensions are actually the same)
*Celadon City shrunk
*Indigo Plateau and Route 23 became one map, both shrunk
*Every single route had it's size reduced
*WHAT HAPPENED TO ROUTE 23!?!?!?
*In all cities, despite all the cities having the same map dimensions (except Celadon), the buildings had to be arranged differently to accommodate the shrunken routes. Many buildings now lacked doors and overall just seemed dead...

Again, none of what I said above applies to HG/SS, but HG/SS are still flawed for other reasons, such as not fixing the level problem.

Some other problems I didn't like about G/S/C/HG/SS
Spoiler:

Please don't take my posts as an insult, it's not that I don't like your hack, I just don't like some aspects of G/S/C/HG/SS.

Sierraffinity

Years
*Safari Zone is gone (though it was originally supposed to be there cuz there's map data) (HG/SS had it turned into Pal Park, which is reasonable)
*Cerulean Cave is gone (HG/SS fixed this)
*Cinnabar Island conveniently destroyed by volcano, which equates to less map data
*Viridian Forest turned into "Viridian Bushes" (HG/SS fixed this)
*Pokemon Tower conveniently turned into a radio tower, which equates to less map data
*Pewter City Museum closed (HG/SS fixed this)
*Route 23 practically doesn't exist

And also, the map problems (this does not affect HG/SS, since HG/SS made the maps bigger than FR/LG, in comparison to G/S/C making it smaller than R/B/Y.) All of these maps shrunk from R/B/Y (yes, I checked map dimensions):
*Diglett's Cave was moved to Vermilion City, which caused the main part of Vermilion City to shrink (map dimensions are actually the same)
*Celadon City shrunk
*Indigo Plateau and Route 23 became one map, both shrunk
*Every single route had it's size reduced
*WHAT HAPPENED TO ROUTE 23!?!?!?
*In all cities, despite all the cities having the same map dimensions (except Celadon), the buildings had to be arranged differently to accommodate the shrunken routes. Many buildings now lacked doors and overall just seemed dead...

Again, none of what I said above applies to HG/SS, but HG/SS are still flawed for other reasons, such as not fixing the level problem.

Some other problems I didn't like about G/S/C/HG/SS
Spoiler:

Please don't take my posts as an insult, it's not that I don't like your hack, I just don't like some aspects of G/S/C/HG/SS.
All of those changes could have happened over a three-year period. However, some things like Cerulean Cave's absence will be rectified, the only difference being that instead of being in GSC's storyline, it'll be after. Anything different from GSC will usually come to be in the Sevii Islands or at least in that time period.

I see the idiocy with the levels, though. Those will most definitely be changed. However, things like map dimensions and so forth will not because that's GSC's view on the maps, and therefore mine.

Years
  • Age 31
  • NY
  • Seen Feb 12, 2016
I love your random crying Sonicblaze. I make a simple suggestion and you rudely reply? It wouldve been fine if Diego said something like that - it's his thread. And I know it's not my ROM hack quite obviously, but what makes it funny is how immature you are with an answer like that. Besides, I doubt diego would add any of the "dumb extras" and he'd actually add in goo, well-scripted ones. The little added things make the games better, because hats the point of playing this if it's the same as Crystal? Might as well just play Crystal, right?

Sierraffinity

Years
I love your random crying Sonicblaze. I make a simple suggestion and you rudely reply? It wouldve been fine if Diego said something like that - it's his thread. And I know it's not my ROM hack quite obviously, but what makes it funny is how immature you are with an answer like that. Besides, I doubt diego would add any of the "dumb extras" and he'd actually add in goo, well-scripted ones. The little added things make the games better, because hats the point of playing this if it's the same as Crystal? Might as well just play Crystal, right?
Well, CrystalDust won't be an exact duplicate of Crystal. Once you get past the original Crystal's storyline, that's when things begin to differ.

Years
  • Seen Dec 29, 2010
i find a trouble in catching the second Pokemon. After I throat a Pokeball and successfully catch the Pokemon, the game stops and get into out of order. Could you tell me the solution?

Back