• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Starters / The professor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Probably even more unlikely. Starting off with level 50 would significantly harm your journey, whereas Tepig/Oshawott/Snivy would be an appropriate start.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
It would be nice to have different starters. I'm not a huge fan of the Unova starters so if it's them again, I'm just gonna trade in something else as soon as I can. Probably a Cherubi. :P

I do like the idea of the school, though. That makes a lot more sense to me re: pokemon trainers than professors handing out Pokemon to random kids in their town.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
It would be nice to have different starters. I'm not a huge fan of the Unova starters so if it's them again, I'm just gonna trade in something else as soon as I can. Probably a Cherubi. :P

I do like the idea of the school, though. That makes a lot more sense to me re: pokemon trainers than professors handing out Pokemon to random kids in their town.
You do begin with the same starters. :(

That's true but I guess it's what the Professors were made to do (though they only have three choices)? Not that I don't like the idea of switching it up. I'd really like that. I want more out of the professor since it seems all that's been given were small roles (like Juniper calling up and appearing at different scenes - only for a short period of time though). & It does seem like there is going to be more to do with this professor and I'm really interested in that!

Years
id really like to see a fixed starter like in pokemon yellow. mareep no way. eevee would be a cool idea. get some new eeveelutions as well.

i dont want to see these starters again. i picked tepig who was hugely disappointing as a pokemon... i think its almost lazy to have the same ones. someone mentioned that each region has universal starters so we arent getting 3 new fire/water/grass pokemon.

really hoping they dont slip up, black/white turned out to be amazing games, dont want just another story. new pokemon AND new story then id be in love! :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2012
No no no it would be a continuation of Black and White. You know after you complete everything and capture the Reshiram/ Zekrom. You don't keep the m in the beginning you lose them because your battle gets interrupted and someone steals your legendary admidst the confusion....ugh nevermind

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I'm kind of liking the thought of a school teacher giving me my first Pokemon. That'd make the person my favorite teacher EVER. It makes sense, though, if you ask me. Teachers give you the tools you need to learn, or in this case Pokemon, and then you learn with those tools. A scientist/professor who researches Pokemon give them to you more so as an experiment. I always feels like a Professor's Aide more than anything else.
So if it's a teacher giving me my Tepig, I'm stoked. <3

ceremony

rah rah
Years
The new Professor discovered that Emboar is a Pure Fire Type after all....
---Is that to much to ask for?

How would that work though?

"Oh he's no longer hurt super-effectively by flying-type moves."

I'll say this though...three fire/fighting types that evolve from starters in a row has gotten really played out.

Years
AqWhGPYCQAADOvb.jpg:large

Looks like we keep the same starters.

Yeah, I was going to refer to this image- the fact that the Unova starters are lined up like that, and the fact that Serperior is in the video fighting Kyurem leads me to believe that we'll just get the same starters. And the fact that the new Professor is introduced leads me to believe that we'll just get the starters from him- however, in the trailer, I think I recall seeing that professor walk up to a podium thing and meet the player, so if he's not your conventional Pokemon professor, perhaps Professor Juniper will be travelling around and you'll get one from her? I dunno.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well in the programmer's view the starter is just something to avoid you from breaking the game (and missingno) so I really wouldn't mind what the starter is as long as it's balanced between the three and we can all agree that it's not Bidoof.

And that we get it in a really shiny and creative way.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The starters will most likely be the same, I mean the starters are standing right in front of the players in one of the scans or was that the trailer...either way they are in the same position starters are usually in.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
How would that work though?

"Oh he's no longer hurt super-effectively by flying-type moves."

I'll say this though...three fire/fighting types that evolve from starters in a row has gotten really played out.

All the more reason to have another crack at it! 4 in a row!

Also, new quote about the professor from today's information.

"Frind, Foe, a mysterious character!" -So he is going to be important somehow..........

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
It's still Unova, so I figure it's safe to say we'll choose from the Unova starters. Though, it could be possible to get a second starter from another region after beating the game like in HG/SS, but that's just a guess.

This is my guess. I used Tepig in Black and Snivy in White, and I'd like to give Oshawott a fair shot as well. I'll probably make a starterless run in the other game and just choose one based on how it affects the plot/what Pokemon the rival has.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
We're still in the 5th Generation, so it would be logical to have the same Unova starters. :s & Pokémon Smash confirmed that the starters will remain the same. :p

If we do get them from the professor, there better be a different reason as to why he would give us a free Pokémon. Seems like it would fit his description especially if he is evil. I wouldn't like him to hand us a starter and be like "HERE. START YOUR WONDERFUL GRAND JOURNEY YOUNG ONE!!!!!".

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
if you look on pokemon.com it says we will still have the same starters as usual and that the new professor is bianca. you can tell becasue bianca always stayed with professor juniper throughout the game and after the end of the game. and cheren is a gym leader.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Dude...check dates. This is a 3 month old topic. Its also dead topic as I said last time, games are out in Japan and those of us stalking the news already know who is who.

Please don't revive a thread that is over 1 month dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back