• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you ashamed of where you come from?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Some people would, but I'm not "ashamed" of where I was born. It's pretty rough in some parts of that city; someone pulled a gun on my father and threatened to kill him less than 2 miles from the building I was born in. T: Despite that, I like it there.

My family...not really. Yeah, they aren't the best people. But they're still my family. Actually, one specific uncle I guess I am.

My nationalities have stereotypes which I find to be annoying. I'm a bit of a mutt, though, so I don't know everything that I am.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Ain't nothing to be embarrassed from being born in LA, baby!

Jokes aside, I'm pretty content with my family. I'm mostly Norwegian, and Irish, with some Greek thrown in there too. Family are great too. Whee.

Sir Codin

I wouldn't say I'm ashamed to be a Californian, but right now I'm somewhat ashamed to be an American.

It seems like we've done so much to sully our reputation with the world that I feel like I'm a monster for even being born here. Like I'm an uneducated, uncultured, speck of trash. At least that's what I feel like whenever someone bashes the United States, whether it's true or not.

Utzipher

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 4, 2014
At the rate that America is disintegrating, we're no longer the great nation we used to be. We're stereotyped as lazy, unintelligent, materialistic morons that only care about their smart phones and technology. I'm very ashamed to be an American, and I hope to become a citizen of Canada in the near future. American is not a country - it's a corporation.

Years
Eh. The US isn't amazing, but it's okay. It's flawed, like every country. Honestly I get irritated that we get so much crap about us over the Internet, despite the fact that a lot of it is deserved. So I guess I can't be that ashamed.

It's amazing I don't hate it, considering I live in Kansas, a state that's in the Midwest/Plains and in the Bible Belt. Especially considering I'm an atheist. You would think this place would suck, but I live in one of the college towns, so it ain't so bad.

I'm not ashamed of my family, though. We're all awesome. 8)

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
Whether it be where you live in your particular town?
A: Half of my life I lived in Moscow and approx half of it here in Vladivostok. I'm always contented here and there as long it's in my home country.
Whether it be your family?
A: Contented with my family. Although we don't see each other often.
Whether it be your nationality?
A: I'm not a self-racist of racist.

Years
I live near the inner-city area of Sydney, and I've only moved house once in my whole life but still remained in the same area but a little further south.

I'm not really fond of my family, especially my mother who always goes off at me, and my brother always plays dirty tricks on me that gets me embarrassed.

The neighborhood I'm in is full of Indigenous Australians, so I do feel a little odd to be living in an area dominated by them. Also, I often feel bad around certain cultures given I am a sort of semi-racist.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I live in Colorado, so mainly just weather stuff that annoys and surprises me.
My family is odd, but they're not bad, most of the time xD
and being Mexican, mostly just means I know an extra language, and eat spicy food xD just kidding, but I'm ok with everything

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The town I live in is actually really nice and has lots of restaurants and shopping centers and is looked to as a great place, so I don't dislike it. My state, Alabama, has had it's fair share of bad pasts though. Civil rights, ya know? Yeah, most of that started here lol. Bus boycott, church bombing, the KKK, etc. I dislike that people like to associate that with the state of Alabama now though because it's in the past and we don't do that anymore. We grew from it, so it's a bit sad when people still think we're bad and that it's still going on. It's a nice state to live in honestly, especially if you like woodsy areas and not lots of traffic, and I just can't see myself anywhere else! You'd have to come here to love it yourself. I'll show you around. :)

As for my family, I think everyone has the things they love and hate about them haha. I have a redneck family, a liberal family, and a Jesus-y family. They all have their flaws, but I love them all and they're great people to be around! I couldn't ask for a better one.

All in all, I'm not ashamed of where I live, but I dislike when people, especially foreign, associate my state with the bad things. Like...move on, guys. :P If you want a BAD state, make fun of Mississippi!

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
Nah, living in suburban Boston doesn't really get me any weird looks. :P
My parents are reasonable, and although sometimes my siblings can be annoying, I'm not ashamed of them really.
Haha, being Canadian gets me some teasing but nothing too bad. I like who I am and try to embrace it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I wouldn't say I was proud (apart from in the family context), but I'm definitely not ashamed of where I came from.

My home city has been very good to me and helped shape who I am today. Even if has some of the highest teen pregnancy rates and binge drinking incidents and deaths from smoking, I always feel kinda happy whenever I return there to visit family. It definitely grounded me in a way that living somewhere else might not have done so. As for home country, I'm still there now, so that says something. I don't agree with everything that the UK does on the world stage, but I'd struggle to find another nationality that would really agree with me. I'd never say I was proud to be British and don't really care for patriotism, but I'm kinda happy I am British. It makes no sense, I know, but it's kinda how I feel. And I love my family and am ridiculously proud to be a part of such a great unit. No complaints at all from me on that front.

Midnight-Kitteh

Feline and Ghost Trainer
Years
I am ashamed of where I come from on a huge level.
Mostly of the country as a whole but the town I live in is just as bad sometimes. I wish I lived in a more liberal area

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'm more ashamed of not really living up to my origins than my actual origins. I'm proud of my country, I like all of the places I've lived/was raised in, and I'm very glad to have been born into my family.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Not really, I mean, I was born in Canada, but have a Jamaican background; I'm proud to be partly Jamaican! I like to think that my Jamaican heritage helped me shape up into the guy I am today, since my parents have been taught to try and perform each task with 100% effort, sooo I guess they passed that on to me! My hometown is pretty quiet, so, I have no issues with it either.

Rodriguezjames55

No Jokes #MegaCharizard
Years
i'm from a place where we elect a man after he f'd up our country where we elected a man who said change who last election they blocked the best candidates (Gary Johnson Ron Paul) yes im ashamed of my country not my city tho NYC all the way

Nationality
im more than half Puerto Rican im Irish German French Portuguese Brazilian Spaniard Black British and i could have roman blood they were everywhere
only thing im ashamed of is my Spaniard blood the reason i have it is cause of rape

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Living in the US is alright, it has flaws, particularly how idiotic some people can be but I'm sure every country has some idiots. So I'm some what ashamed of how the country is runned, though I'm not ashamed of the city I come from, St.Louis.
Sure it's not the biggest city or the safest, but I still like living here. It's also got crazy weather sometimes, but I don't mind that cause it leads to interesting situations. (Like last week it was all mid 50s to low 60s and now it's suddenly in the teens and 20s) So I don't really plan on leaving any time soon.

As for my family, the only person I'm really ashamed of is my older brother. He's always being negative and complaining and is a total jerk to everyone. He's especially a jerk towards me by insulting me for no reason. Though we get into arguments alot, my dad's pretty nice and I love him for always being there and raising me well. Not ashamed of my little brother at all but rather I'm pretty proud of him. He's done a lot for someone his age. It's sad that he's been more successful than me and he's only 17. But that's definitely something to be proud of instead of being ashamed of.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Overall I'm not ashamed by I'm not proud either.

I lived in Denver until I was 14 and now live east of it. Not a huge fan of that city, but I do kinda enjoy where I live now. People here are rather mellow, and like the rest of the state the weather isn't too predictable.

My grandmother was always really good about keeping everyone in our family together no matter what happened. The thing is though, is that she's gone now, so now our family doesn't really meet up like it used to anymore.

I love the United States... but at the same time I hate it. I supposedly live in one of the more uh... healthy states, but that doesn't keep me from being disappointed of elsewhere. I'd like to try living elsewhere, but currently that's too difficult.
On another note, I'm 1/4 Cherokee, so I sometimes take pride in that.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Currently, no. I'm perfectly fine with where I live now, but my family's house is in a city well-known for producing the lesser beings of society. We're not even from this state and I make it a point to tell people that, so 9 times out of 10 nobody gets the wrong idea.

A bit, but the reasoning's changed over the years.

Extremely, actually. I'm really embarrassed to be from the US because my best friend and his family are Canadian and every time I go with him to see them they drop a few snide remarks about how it's a shame the US is doing so poorly and its bickering makes it an international spectacle.

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
Not really, it's a really quiet place so there really isn't much to be ashamed of.

Never, I honestly love them so much and I'm usually the one that keeps them together.

Not really, being Malaysian is something I take pride in. I want to go there one day though, and see how it's like.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I keep putting off answering this thread

I don't really like living in here north Scotland as the people here are just rude.

this question may better anwsered by PMing me about: there is a reason why I live with my hatchlings

I don't like being british as the media goes OTT with some things if you know what I mean.

Back