• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
I'm surprised the Bundesliga isn't at all discussed here. I have to ask but do any of you frequent the Bundesliga fixtures or at least read about them? I know it is not the most prominent league, but still builds one of the best talents in Europe.
I'm English-born, so I naturally tend to talk about PL in general. Especially on Manchester United because it's club that I supported since when I was a kid (specifically the historic Treble season).

I do dislike it when people call our supporters "glory hunters" (especially since I'm NOT one), but their ignorance is the funny part. Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea fans say that their club supporters are only from their respective city, when that's hardly even the case. (Yeah, all Arsenal/Chelsea fans are cockneys and all Liverpool fans are scousers). But it's definitely because of our general success in recent years and we just don't seem to be stopping (In another words - jealousy ;)). However, much to my dismay, I do believe that this period of dominance won't last forever (In a realistic sense). I hope our dominance continues on forever, though, though. *is there a devilish grin in this forum? :P*

Going back on topic, I do admit that Bundesliga is a bit underrated, but there's really nothing much to talk about in terms of it, mainly because nearly 100% of German superstars have played/are playing for Bayern, though I do have couple talking points about Bundesliga & few players in general.

-Gotze is in progress of cementing himself into a world-class player. He'll probably go to Bayern, though I'd love him at PL.
-Bayern has so far netted 28-or-something goals and conceded only one, ironically against Gladbach (though they've started out fantastically this season).

Loving the Tevez saga now, two cheeky loan offers from West Ham and Limavady United (me neither).
I pity him not only because he left our club to join our rival's and celebrating after scoring a brace against us in Carling Cup semis (in which they got knocked out! Ha-Ha :D), but also because he acts like **** both on pitch and off the pitch. If I was Man Utd manager, I would advise all other clubs not to bid for him. Again, he's a ****.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Well, I think there are no words to describe this. Maybe "steamroller".

Anyway. La Liga, 8th day:

-> 1 Levante 20 <-
2 R. Madrid 19
3 Barcelona 18
4 Sevilla 16

Nothing too special... oh wait.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Best way to describe the derby match from my (United fan) point of view: pile of utter ****.

Saying that, having watched the match (ouch), scoreline flatters City. It should've ended 1-3. Thank God there are no City fans in my school to rub it on my ****ing face.

However we only have ourselves to blame for the result. Our team performance was dire, atmosphere at OT was dire (dead quiet and our fans leaving early... come on), and our defense was absolutely horrendous. Imagine this pile of **** playing Barcelona... we'd get punked 10-0, if not worse... *shudders*

Our players deserve to get kicked in the face for this result. They have to wake the **** up and start performing like champions. (especially Jonny Evans the "catalyst" to all the City's second-half goals for receiving an unnecessary red card)

Mancini actually comes as a respectable manager to me. Way he handles various situations is very mature compared to some of other managers. (namely Jose Mourinho, even though I still like him)

One positive to take from this though, is that we're not favorites anymore. I love it when we are underdogs. It takes pressure off of us.

Season is far from over. We lost 1-6, but it's definitely a one-off. We always bounce back after big losses (1-4 to Liverpool in 2008, back-to-back loss last season against Chelsea and Liverpool (again)). Maybe Macheda will save us again :cheeky:

That's all. Oh. Forgot - **** you Media, **** you Sheikh Mansour, and **** you City.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2012
i am supporting galatasaray. the former european champion. we became a poor team for last several years, but we increasing nowadays. i luv felipe melo -heartishere-

Years
I stop posting, thread dies. I think it proves how much I contribute. :P

Anyway, a good night for the British teams in the Europa League and Andy Johnson is back on form for Fulham, I hope he won't be injured again.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Ha, Holty does it again. 3 important points against a team of similar stature in QPR. I believe that'll put us 9th in the league for what it's worht. :D

Newcastle also got a point at Utd, not the biggest fan of either of them but it's always nice to see Man Yoo drop points.

Edit - Ipswich also lost in the 93rd minute at Portman Road. hahaha.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
With the mention of QPR, I think there might be call for a little discussion of Chelsea (lol QPR 1 - 0 Chelsea a week or two back). I personally think they've had a terrible season so far. How about anyone else?

Also very proud of Spurs, my team, right now. 3 - 1 against West Brom away puts us just a few points behind Man U!

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Years
I was writing an essay on the British e-petition website, when I found this:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/17320

Petition for the government to lobby FIFA, UEFA and the FA to abolish penalty kicks in football during normal play

Responsible department: Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Matches are decided by big decisions. The most obvious big decision is the award or the non-award of a penalty kick. This decision can often be difficult to make. The solution. Abolish penalty kicks. Replace them with direct free-kicks at the source of the infringements. This would have the following benefits: 1. Attackers would remain on their feet to better their chances of scoring. The culture of going down with minimal contact would end. 2. Defenders would have more confidence in making attempts to gain possession of the ball. 3. Free kicks from short ranges would increase excitement. 4. Referees would give the benefit of the doubt in decisions as the outcome of the game would be less effected. 5. The penalty area would exist to mark the area where the goalkeeper could play the ball with their hands. 6. Penalties after extra time would be more entertaining as there would be no so-called "spot-kick experts".

I'm still in shock XD

Nihilego

Years
Oh please no. While I dislike a game finishing by going to penalties after extra time, I really think they're necessary in the cases of horrific play by a team.

Ivysaur

Years
And today certainly was one of the most amazing days in recent football history, two English teams, one of them being the current runner-ups, got kicked out of the CL in the group stage. Both from the same city too, so no side can mock the other one XD

I don't think anybody could have expected that last Summer.

Nihilego

Years
And today certainly was one of the most amazing days in recent football history, two English teams, one of them being the current runner-ups, got kicked out of the CL in the group stage. Both from the same city too, so no side can mock the other one XD

I don't think anybody could have expected that last Summer.

Wait what. Man U and who else? |:

Melves

up in the air.
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2011
It's really odd to see a team with 10 points go into the Europa League; most of the time they'll progress easily. City's 'death' group was by far the hardest of all groups, unlike United's. You get the feeling City wanted it more [to progress to the second stage] hence their fine win over Bayern Munich. United couldn't salvage at least a draw against a Swiss side. The Europa League should be interesting though; any of the Manchester teams can win it.

Ivysaur

Years
The question is whether the current CL runner up will spend their energy trying to get a second-class trophy. But still, it will be a tricky rival for the next round.

Years
City and United are now level on points, joint at the top of the table, huh. Despite suffering a humiliating 1-6 defeat at their own home ground, United managed to suck it up and get back into the title race, hard. Not to mention that they have the best defense and the second best attacking power. City are becoming inconsistent.

Years
It'll be interesting to see how Henry does back in the Premier League in his brief spell back at Arsenal.

Personally, United will take the title and I said it when City were five points up. Fergie should have bought a centre mid before this season to make it easier on him though.

Odd to see Villarreal hanging above the drop zone in Spain.

Ivysaur

Years
This season is being very weird. Levante, the poorest team in the country (under administration) has comfortably been in the CL zone since day 3, Villarreal have died since they sold Cazorla to Málaga, Barça is playing relatively badly away (except in the Bernabéu, but that's their backyard in recent years) and Osasuna, after 5 years of surviving relegation right the last day, are now dancing in the Europa League places.

Oh, and there are rumours of Mourinho leaving for MU at the end of the season, being replaced by Joaquim Löw at the Madrid bench.

Years
We wouldn't be too fond of Jogi Löw if he'd leave us for Real, trust me. Right now, after 2011 having been a very successful year for our national team, he's among the, if not the most popular person in the country - that popularity would suffer quite a lot...

Years
Anyone heard of a recent 36-point deduction to a Swiss team called FC Sion? Do read about it if you find an article. Irrelevant of the ongoing discussion but this was too surprising to ignore.

Back on topic, I also heard of Mourinho's departure but I'm betting this will pass as just a rumor, I guess. the last conference he said he is focused on Madrid now and leaving them throughout one of their best seasons would be unfair and cruel to Madrid. I just hope that if he leaves, someone as good as Löw would replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back