• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I should replace Krookodile, but with what? Gliscor?

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
My team is what you see on my trainer card

And I feel like all of them really have their MVP like moments, but Krookodile not so much

He sounds good on paper

Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
252 Attack/Speed EVs
Crunch
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Superpower

But it seems like he has so many various weaknesses, and being locked into any one of those moves w/ the choice item is easily countered. There's plenty of stuff that doesn't get very hurt by alot of that

If I don't use the scarf he gets outsped by alot of things and then still gets one or two shot because of how many various weaknesses Krookodiles have.

Weak to : Water, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Bug. That's 5 weaknesses D: between them someone almost always has an answer to Krookodile on just about any given pokemon....

As you could assume from my username I think Krookodile is cool, and I kinda came to really like him in Black/White 1 while mostly playing against the dumb CPU NPCs.... he wreaks total havoc on the brainless computers, but against real people he is my stand out LVP (Least valuable player) D:

The rest of my team can be seen in my trainer card in my sig

Using a team weakness/strength calculator it seems I got a major weak spot against ground so I think I need something that has massive resistance to ground sorts

So what I came up with is Gliscor, but the questions are

1.Should I do something instead of Gliscor?

2.How should I build Gliscor? I'd really rather not run a boring & annoying substitute spam defensive build.

Would it be any good to just do

Gliscor :
Adamant/Jolly
Attack/Speed/(Maybe HP?) EVs
Toxic Orb

Ice Fang
Earthquake
Swords Dance
Acrobatics (Or something else? What else? Acrobatics sounds weak w/o Flying gem.)

IDK, so what do you think I should do?

Get a Gliscor and run it my way? Get a Gliscor and run it some other way? Get some entirely different pokemon? Keep Krookodile when he's clearly a failure compared to my other pokemon? :/

Edit :

Maybe since Toxic Orbs heal is a fixed fraction of 1/8 max hp I should pile on 252 HP & 252 Speed EVs

& Then... have Jolly nature, then hopefully outspeed almost anything, hopefully live to set up a swords dance & then wreak havoc?

But then I'd be left with only 2 attacks, 1 has to be earthquake since it's powerful STAB, but then the 2nd?

Toxic & keep hiding behind substitutes & healing w/ the toxic orb neutralizing the substitute damage?

Ice fang in case of dragons?

Acrobatics even though it's low base damage because it's a 2nd STAB?!

Hmmm.....

If I take Toxic & Earthquake I'd be literally unable to hurt Gengars but that's only 1 pokemon out of like 700.... of course Toxic wouldn't do jack squat to steel pokemon either. hmmmm.... decisions decisions... I hate the 4 move limit lol

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Move sets for the rest of your Pokémon would be greatly appreciated here.

Anyway, Blaziken is deemed an Uber in the competitive environment because of its Dream World ability, Speed Boost.

Also, just by looking at the team, Choice Scarf Kyurem-B can run over it. Since Krookodile, Garchomp and Gliscor share an Ice weakness, you'll need to find something else that can take Ice moves easily besides Empoleon.

But if you really want a physical wall that badly, look no further than Gliscor:
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Protect/Taunt/Roost
-Earthquake
Nature: Impish
EVs: 244 HP/28 Def/236 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

or
-Earthquake
-Taunt/Toxic
-Toxic/Ice Fang/Stealth Rock
-Protect/Roost
EVs: 244 HP/248 Def/16 Spe

or
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Acrobatics
-Substitute/Agility/Rock Polish
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Flying Gem
Ability: Hyper Cutter

or
-Substitute
-Baton Pass
-Earthquake
-Taunt/Agility/Swords Dance
EVs: 244 HP/28 Def/236 Spe

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
Well I'm not worried about Kyruems cause I just do wifi random battles and occasionally manage to get friend code people for 6 on 6 where I tell them no legendaries

So I'll never have to face a Kyurem :P

But all the OR's make it confusing, like which would really be the best

& If you insist here is what I got on the rest

Blaziken
Adamant/Fist Plate/Speed Boost (ATK/SPEED EVs)
Hi Jump Kick
Blaze Kick
Swords Dance
Protect

Empoleon
Modest/Leftovers/Torrent/(Special ATK/Speed EVs)
Scald
Ice Beam
Grass Knot
Flash Cannon
(Sometimes I think Special ATK/HP would actually better serve Empoleon, he's always going last most of the time anyway.....what do you think?)

Gengar
Modest/Fire Gem/Levitate (Spec ATK/Speed EVS)
Ghost ball
Destiny Bond
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Fire

Jolteon
Modest/Ice Gem/Volt absorb (Special ATK/Speed EVS)
Hidden power ice
Thunderbolt
Signal beam (whatever that bug beam is)
Volt switch

Garchomp
Adamant/Choice Band/Rough Skin/ Attk & Speed EVs
Outrage
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang

Well there you have it, and I especially wonder about getting another Empoleon with stacked HP instead of speed because honestly he goes 2nd in most cases anyway..

Edit :

TBH with ya I'm sparing myself the time & hassle by just perfecting them with Pokedit.com I did a test battle on wifi real quick and Gliscor & Empoleon combined check just about everything you can think of, throw in Blaziken or Garchomp to sweep up what's left of the enemies in 3v3 or even if it was 6v6 and it's a great combo it seems

Oh and the Gliscor I'm trying has :

Toxic Orb w/ Poison heal, Jolly nature, 252 HP/Speed EVs
Roost
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Ice Fang

Since the only thing that's REALLY a threat to Gliscor is STAB ice beams/Blizzards, I can just swap into Empoleon if the enemy seems like something that could do it, so it's pretty complimentary :P

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you don't mind my asking, where'd you get that Blaziken? The DW Hoenn starters are events, you know. Like I said, Blaziken is an Uber in competitive play, but if you insist on keeping it:
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Hi Jump Kick
-Protect
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost

While Flash Cannon seems tempting to use on Empoleon as a secondary STAB, it provides no noteworthy coverage whatsoever:
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Grass)
-Surf
Nature: Modest
EVs: 200 HP/252 SAtk/56 Spe
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent

or
-Substitute
-Agility
-Surf
-Ice Beam/Grass Knot
Nature: Modest
EVs: 12 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk/240 Spe
Item: Petaya Berry
Ability: Torrent

Tbh, Gengar and Jolteon should run Timid, as they need all the Speed they can get:

Gengar:
-Substitute
-Disable/Pain Split/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Shadow Ball (this is the correct attack name here; don't mess it up)
-Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Black Sludge/Life Orb

or
-Substitute/Protect
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Black Sludge

Jolteon: Keep your set the same except change the nature to Timid. Signal Beam is the correct attack name. Modest is tempting, but this will allow base 120s with positive natures to outspeed it, so Timid is the preferred nature.

Likewise, Garchomp should be Jolly, as Choice Band provides it with enough power already.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
Well what I ended up with that works really well for me is

Gliscor
Toxic Orb/Poison Heal
Jolly Nature
252 HP/Speed EVs
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Protect
Swords Dance

I sware it's great :P It's not the typical cookie cutter Gliscors I've read off of various pages, but I like him this way alot better

NOTHING can stop him except STAB special attack based ice moves.
Physical ice moves will not even 1 shot him unless it's coming from an attack BEAST like Tyranitar.

I can just use protect to scout for if someones going to do that, if they are I swap into Empoleon. Otherwise he's literally unstoppable :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Well what I ended up with that works really well for me is

Gliscor
Toxic Orb/Poison Heal
Jolly Nature
252 HP/Speed EVs
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Protect
Swords Dance

I sware it's great :P It's not the typical cookie cutter Gliscors I've read off of various pages, but I like him this way alot better

NOTHING can stop him except STAB special attack based ice moves.
Physical ice moves will not even 1 shot him unless it's coming from an attack BEAST like Tyranitar.

I can just use protect to scout for if someones going to do that, if they are I swap into Empoleon. Otherwise he's literally unstoppable :D
Interesting, but Swords Dance + Acrobatics is generally better, since a resisted STAB Acrobatics (without an item) outdamages a neutral STAB Ice Fang. Acrobatics has plenty of raw power once Flying Gem is consumed, making Gliscor more of an offensive threat. Plus, if Empoleon goes down, then Gliscor has a tendency to get revenge killed by faster Water/Ice Pokémon, like, say, Shell Smash Cloyster. Or Starmie.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
Interesting, but Swords Dance + Acrobatics is generally better, since a resisted STAB Acrobatics (without an item) outdamages a neutral STAB Ice Fang. Acrobatics has plenty of raw power once Flying Gem is consumed, making Gliscor more of an offensive threat. Plus, if Empoleon goes down, then Gliscor has a tendency to get revenge killed by faster Water/Ice Pokémon, like, say, Shell Smash Cloyster. Or Starmie.

Ehhh.... well I like the toxic orb healing and the ice fang is a nice surprise for dragons and other peoples Gliscors, you always need ice somewhere to deal with those or they'll run roughshot over a whole team

Anyway,

I've swapped out my Garchomp for a moxie Salamence

& I don't feel happy with my gengar or Jolteon really, I kind of wonder what would compliment the rest of my team well besides those two?

Back