• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Slather the bark with honey?

OmegaTL

Time Lord
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
I really wanted a Heracross but I couldn't be bothered with the honey tree thing.
When I did use them, though, I found nothing but male Combee and a couple of Burmy.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Whenever I slathered the barks with honey, I always forgot to check them out the next day. That's why, I've never been able to encounter any kind of Pokémon from these trees. Even if I did check them, I probably wouldn't have been able to run into Munchlax anyway, since the chances of encountering this Pokémon were quite slim. ):

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
NO I am NOT about to slather the bark with honey because my dumb butt will forget about that mess. lmao I hate honey trees. I always forget them and it was just inefficient imo cause it took too long for a Pokemon to show up. :(

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
I did it semi-consistently for about a year and a half, trying to catch a Munchlax. Finally, when I reached the end of the game and just wanted to finish the Sinnoh Dex, I made it a priority. There were 20 trees, and you had to wait 8hrs after slathering each tree for a Pokemon to appear. It took NINE DAYS of routinely slathering honey three times a day on each tree before I FINALLY found a Munchlax. I remember it was at night, 'cause I caught it in a Dusk Ball. Grumble... 1% chance encounter rate my eye... Just over those nine days that was over 500 attempts (20 x 3 x 9), not to mention the hundreds of tries the year or two prior! More like 0.1% or less!!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I did it semi-consistently for about a year and a half, trying to catch a Munchlax. Finally, when I reached the end of the game and just wanted to finish the Sinnoh Dex, I made it a priority. There were 20 trees, and you had to wait 8hrs after slathering each tree for a Pokemon to appear. It took NINE DAYS of routinely slathering honey three times a day on each tree before I FINALLY found a Munchlax. I remember it was at night, 'cause I caught it in a Dusk Ball. Grumble... 1% chance encounter rate my eye... Just over those nine days that was over 500 attempts (20 x 3 x 9), not to mention the hundreds of tries the year or two prior! More like 0.1% or less!!

What you're describing now sounds exactly like my experience. I didn't count how many attempts it took me, but I felt like it took ~2 months to find munchlax (but only slathering honey once per day.) In hindsight, I should have just used the GTS for that Munchlax

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
Back in year 2006, I find the idea of Honey Tree amusing and quite creative.
Reminded me of the old Headbutt Trees from GSC series.
When I first encounter them in my Japanese Pearl, I used them to hunt Combee and Burmy.
But as time progress I found it annoying, since I tend to forget about them.
Eventually I 'forget' about their existence...

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years

Err, koff~

Just make a Snorlax hold the 'Full Incense' and breed it with a ditto. I hope you don't facepalm too hard, my friend. Or was it that you had to complete the Pokedex to be able to use the Pal Park? In that case I feel bad.

I believe that the honey trees, while good in theory, was poorly executed. Now I just roam about in Pokemon White with a number of Combee to farm honey for fun, koffi~

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
Years
Just make a Snorlax hold the 'Full Incense' and breed it with a ditto. I hope you don't facepalm too hard, my friend. Or was it that you had to complete the Pokedex to be able to use the Pal Park? In that case I feel bad.

I know that, but my personal rule is that I have to catch each Pokemon within the generation and complete the regional Pokedex before beating the Elite 4. So yeah, Pal Park was not yet available to me. Trust me, it was tempting to just wait and do that, but I just wasn't giving up! :)

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I would do it all of the time but I'd keep forgetting about it everytime! XD I really badly wanted to get an Aipom so that's why I'd keep slathering on that honey! Otherwise I probably wouldn't have used it much.

...Never did get that Aipom. :c

Back