• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shouldn't Ash be kicking ass?

Years
Surely Ash by now should be one of the best Trainers in the world, I know that the creators of Pokemon would stay 10 for as long as the anime would be aired and the manga be written, but I think it's getting a bit tedious now that in the new series of the Anime (Best Wishes) he starts as a complete noob again and can't catch anything. It also makes me wonder why Ash keeps all his Pokemon at home >.> I can kind of see why they would do this, as the audience is aimed at kids, and the nostalgia I had when I was a kid watching my first episode of Pokemon, collecting cards and playing the games, but really I think they should focus on a new main character because Ash's adventures seem to be running dry a bit.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Pretty much hit the nail on the head with the writers restricting his progression, re-noobing him each region, and assuming the audience is constantly changing so if none of this happens there won't be an issue cause the audience is new at the point of the beginning of the Saga. As far as the story it's really the same as ever, so running dry if you have been watching for awhile I could see how. Just hinges on the persons perspective. As with other topics having a new character may be harder then it sounds since he and Pikachu are reps of the franchise.

Years
ahhhh, you're right on that actually, I completely forgot about Pikachu and Ash being the companies marketing tool/representative (I don't know how I forgot). I mean, you can even bored a Pokemon plane to Japan.

I know it sounds bad saying this but... a Spin-off show? Maybe for the people who have been with Pokemon since the dawn of time? ;) I don't know really I'm just sort of brainstorming ideas.

Still annoys me how Ash Ketchum is more like Ass Ketchup every time he goes to a new region.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I wish, but I don't know the production costs it costs to produce a single show, so two may be out of the question. Although I would have loved if they made a show on on of the Manga or they actually went the route of Legend of Thunder and went with Jimmy as another protagonist and another story.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I don't think the Pokemon anime costs as much as other animes. They have a lot of episodes to air and their quality is becoming lackluster, so I don't think it would take too much stress on a company's budget to make another anime. However, the problem is guaranteeing people will watch it.

Years
I reckon Pokemon probably costs less than other Anime, not that I'd definitely know, but they manage to make the films while the shows still air, I know that the shows would be created before the drawing of the films and stuff, and I know other mangas/animes like bleach and stuff have both films and shows airing but you know. I know that i'd watch it if they manage to do it right.

Guest123_x1

As long as Ash stays 10 years old, he'll always be weak and be a newbie trainer. With this, there is no clear indication of him ever becoming a Pokémon Master. All other long-running animated shows also keep their characters at the same age throughout their runs.
Like I've said numerous times, the Pokémon anime is no soap opera. If it were, and the characters actually aged, then it would probably drive away younger viewers.
To have Ash actually age throughout the storyline would require more time for thinking on the writers' part.

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
Years
If Ash kicked arse every time he was in a battle or traveled through a region, especially now, the show would get very boring because it would have no conflict and would just be Ash defeating everyone in one blow. And then you'd be complaining because Ash kicks too much arse. I hate how Ash is so underpowered in the beginning, and in fact I've stopped watching the anime, but I would also hate if Ash was as good as a trainer as he should be after all of the region and starting pwning people in one shot.

AlolanMoonZPrincess

Alolan Moon Princess
Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2017
Ash hatches new pokemon each region so yeah. However when he did the sinnoh League and fused his teams he almost won if Toby did not get in his way. So yeah he is a skilled trainer when he fuses his roster up.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Ash didn't hatch any new pokemon in Hoenn or Sinnoh. Using strong poke does not mean you have skill. Being knowledgeable with your pokemon and knowing how to create a tactic to counter the said pokemon you are going up against makes you a skilled trainer. Strong pokemon are just what helps the trainer it shows how their skills are in training and the effort they put in. Ash combined them in Johto and still lost to Harrison, so their will probably be that strong person for some time if that is the route they decide to go. Which goes to show you that strong pokemon can't always be relied on for victory.

It's not about Ash being broken that concerns me the most, but that he loss of his competence gained over previous travels. No he doesn't need to win every battle, but he certainly doesn't need to lose to rookie trainers in the manner that he has.

Characters have aged in Naruto and One Piece and I don't think that drove any of their long standing fans away. If they want to, they can gracefully progress their characters while at the same time appeal to a wide target audience. Then gradually introduce new characters that the torch is past too in the future. Then the audience can jump on board with that character like they have did in other series's as well.

AlolanMoonZPrincess

Alolan Moon Princess
Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2017
Ash didn't hatch any new pokemon in Hoenn or Sinnoh. Using strong poke does not mean you have skill. Being knowledgeable with your pokemon and knowing how to create a tactic to counter the said pokemon you are going up against makes you a skilled trainer. Strong pokemon are just what helps the trainer it shows how their skills are in training and the effort they put in. Ash combined them in Johto and still lost to Harrison, so their will probably be that strong person for some time if that is the route they decide to go. Which goes to show you that strong pokemon can't always be relied on for victory.

It's not about Ash being broken that concerns me the most, but that he loss of his competence gained over previous travels. No he doesn't need to win every battle, but he certainly doesn't need to lose to rookie trainers in the manner that he has.

Characters have aged in Naruto and One Piece and I don't think that drove any of their long standing fans away. If they want to, they can gracefully progress their characters while at the same time appeal to a wide target audience. Then gradually introduce new characters that the torch is past too in the future. Then the audience can jump on board with that character like they have did in other series's as well.

Sorry meant to say catch not hatch

As for Naruto and OP aging the difference is its based on a manga while Pokemon is based off a game but at the same time has never really done much with the games like other series maybe like IE have. The story in Pokemon has always been weak compared to other series based on games. Plus with Naruto the time skip mattered while in Pokemon it would be pointless unless they had a good reason to age Ash a few years.

As for Adsh regressing BW I think its due to the writers saying they wanting to go back to the Kanto vibe so they made Ash a noob. I'm guessing its gone after the league. idk

Asf for Ash losing in Johto he was still bad then. It was not until the AG series he actual got good and carried his skills into DP but lost them in BW

Guest123_x1

As for Ash losing in Johto he was still bad then. It was not until the AG series he actual got good and carried his skills into DP but lost them in BW
The Best Wishes arc was intended as a complete 'reboot' of the series, hence why Ash's skills as a trainer are very lousy now.
Bottom line is-there is no clear indication as to whether he will ever be a Pokémon Master when they keep resetting him with every new story arc that debuts.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Sorry meant to say catch not hatch

As for Naruto and OP aging the difference is its based on a manga while Pokemon is based off a game but at the same time has never really done much with the games like other series maybe like IE have. The story in Pokemon has always been weak compared to other series based on games. Plus with Naruto the time skip mattered while in Pokemon it would be pointless unless they had a good reason to age Ash a few years.

As for Adsh regressing BW I think its due to the writers saying they wanting to go back to the Kanto vibe so they made Ash a noob. I'm guessing its gone after the league. idk

Asf for Ash losing in Johto he was still bad then. It was not until the AG series he actual got good and carried his skills into DP but lost them in BW
The Electric Tale of Pikachu and Ash and Pikachu are based off the Anime which are manga themselves. Ash also has counterparts such as Red who did progress and became the person that defeated Team Rocket and became Champion in both game and Pokemon Adventures.

The progress I was implying was one through a time skip but gradually over time, where you see the progress and it is retained through each Saga.

Or they are doing it to start off fresh like with the BW games as well.

The Best Wishes arc was intended as a complete 'reboot' of the series, hence why Ash's skills as a trainer are very lousy now.
Bottom line is-there is no clear indication as to whether he will ever be a Pokémon Master when they keep resetting him with every new story arc that debuts.
Inb4 we get into the whole reboot debate. The objects in his room at the beginning hints more along the lines of continuation. And if he brings any of his prior pokemon back that wipes the whole reboot idea off the map. Now if we are going to debate this then I'd prefer their be a separate thread.

They never clearly said what a Pokemon Master is, and left it to interpretation. I think the bar is more set at will he ever win a regional championship which he came pretty close to in Sinnoh making the Semis.

HoodieDoodie

The Electric Soldier
Years
I find it funny how at the end of one region Ash and Pikachu are ~battling legends~ and beating everything then as soon as he travels, *POOF* he forgets everything he knows and Pikachu becomes a n00b poke again. lol

Years
I find it funny how at the end of one region Ash and Pikachu are ~battling legends~ and beating everything then as soon as he travels, *POOF* he forgets everything he knows and Pikachu becomes a n00b poke again. lol

That's what I'm on about :P And also the time skip/fast forward is necessary, not just Naruto, but also Bleach goes forward 2 years and if you've read/watched the anime Bakuman (highly recommend), it happens in that too. But the fact that Ash is like this, every single friggen Ark, he just forgets everything. To me it's just, uggh, frustrating, how I can watch 100 episodes (No matter how old and cheesy they get) and then the 'hard work' that supposedly Ash puts in the whole series is gone. WADFU-?

I just wanted to here peoples opinions, I think that there really does need to be something to spice the next series up, not just new Pokemon, that in my opinion, are getting worse. Just what I'm thinking though.

Chainster

Captain Jäger of Ominous Blac
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2014
Ash shouldn't even be traveling any more. Based on how almost every episodes is two days it has been shown that Ash should be 22 by now. Pokemon trainers should be kids. MOVE ON ASH!!

Years
I agree, it's not just that he loses battles; I don't care about that -other people are training as well-. It's just a complete lack of memory, he seems to forget what to do in a battle. I mean for goodness sake, Iris with her "kid"; he's been traveling the world for around 10 years! Iris saying that was just to annoy people; it's offical.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2012
I really hope that one day
Theyll make a completely fresh reboot with a new main character and no ash or his yellow rat
I get why they keep pikachu since hes one of the most famous characters ever but no one really likes Ash. Heck if they would make a anime version of Pokemon advantures (even though its similar to the show ) i would come back to the pokemon anime. Since i love red and his personality Ash is just annoying and seems to be either gay or into beastality

Years
  • Seen Sep 4, 2013
I'm not bothered by him leaving Pokemon and being slightly weaker due to having a **** pikachu at the beginning of each series but I do hope they stop having him lose to the main rival the first time and forgetting how to catch a pokemon. I think it would be an interesting twist if Ash beat the rival making the rival into the sort of person Ash is striving to beat him. Or keep a rival into the next series so that there is a good explanation as to why he loses.

Back