• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sun and Moon. What do you think about Ash's new look?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 29, 2017
To be honest, I don't really like the new look for Ash. It just takes away the feeling of Ash and It feels like they made a whole new character. I personally don't like this.
But, I respect all opinions so...
What do you think?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
I love it.

I won't lie and say I've always liked it, I was taken back when I first saw it.

But seeing him in SM gives me the impression there's so much more to him than a stoic expression that's always on model. He's more energetic and the roundness/soft lines give him more depth/freedom to express himself. He feels like a real person.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
It's taking getting used to seeing his current design but I don't think it looks as bad as I thought it did originally.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I don't care at all about ash. But lillie and gladion look weird in the new anime :/

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 14, 2017
I didn't like the quality at first but after I watched two episodes my thoughts changed. Quality is fine but we find it strange because for 20 years we have seen pokemon in a different way

Years
The outfit isn't that bad (it's basically a slight recolour of Sun's default outfit) but I feel his face didn't deserve to be so downgraded in quality. It's the new face design that ruined him for me here.

Guest123_x1

When I first saw Alolan Ash, I was like 'wha? They overhauled the art style?", but then his new look kind of grew on me and reminded me of Steven from Steven Universe.

Didn't really see such a art style makeover coming. But then again, the anime had been tired and dated for quite a long time.

Years
It definitely gives off different vibes compared to, say, DP Ash where he both looked and acted like a mature, experienced trainer, but I still love his SM design. It's unique and quirky. Like Mii-kun, it reminds me of western cartoons that I enjoy so it almost doesn't feel like I'm watching an anime at times.

So yes, he is cute!!

Years
Well, he looks okay, but I don't like his slapstick.

This. I don't like the focus on slapstick and slice-of-life situations in this saga, because it feels like they are trying to compete with and copy Yo-Kai Watch. Ash's Alola design also reminds me a lot of Nate from YKW.

I feel the new Ash design makes us feel that he's not adventurous anymore and that's what makes me cringe.

Iria Animi

Innocent Trainer
Years
Looks like everyone says Ash's new art positive, But it is true no one will say any nice thing when they didn't watch the anime.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I am really surprised to read this, I thought everybody hates it lol
I want to watch the anime soon, for me it isn't the same old Ash but I am willing to try. I'll just imagine it like it's an all new character lol.

Can't talk much since I haven't watched it yet, but I agree Lilly look kinda weird?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
The only character designs I don't like in Sun and Moon are Jessie and James'. I can't stand how they look now.

Years
I want to watch the anime soon, for me it isn't the same old Ash but I am willing to try. I'll just imagine it like it's an all new character lol.

That reminds me, Ash's new outfit is exactly the same as the male protagonist of the Sun & Moon games (he has no canon name but he's commonly nicknamed Sun or Elio by fans) with the only difference being the blue and white inverted on Ash's shirt, along with Ash's hat being red.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Personally, the first time I saw Ash's new Alolan look in the poster, I'm not quite fond of it. However, it seems to grow on me after I watch Sun and Moon anime most of the time, except for some slapstick moments in particular.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
^ pretty much the same. At first I really wasn't a fan and thought it was oversimplified and way too different, but I very quickly grew to like it and thought it represented the fun and casual series really well.

Back