• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Trading Keys?

ShadowTheDarkrai

The :~*Fanciest*~: Snivy around
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
As many people know there is going to be keys in Black 2/White 2. These keys are for catching Regice/Registeel and making your game mode Easy/Hard.
Unfortunately these keys are obtained after you beat the Elite Four making it only half the experience of the new modes. Now an easy answer to this is to get a friend to beat the game first then use his/her key to change the mode your game is at. Though sometimes friends don't have the right game for the mode you want or maybe they don't have the generation V games at all. I think it would be a good idea if we set up a place where we could trade keys to each other easily and without the hassle of finding someone with the right game.
Please post your opinions on this. Thank You

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Keys can be transferred to the other games to catch the opposite Regi through Unova Link.

Challenge Mode and Easy Mode cannot be transferred though.

You can however change the difficulty of a Secondary Copy of Pokemon White 2 if you owned Black 2 into Challenge Mode. You can change the mode of your game or another game.

ShadowTheDarkrai

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I know. The keys cannot be directly transferred but the effect is "shared" when two games connect. I am talking about what if you didn't have two games and didn't really know anyone with a copy.

blue

gucci
Years
So, say someone who completed the game had the difficulty key, would it be "shared" with a person who hasn't stared their game yet allowing them to play in the difficulty mode instantly? Because that's what I'm hoping to do as opposed to playing through the easy mode.

ShadowTheDarkrai

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Yes. Keys can be shared to start a game ALMOST instantaneously. You will of course have to go to a Pokemon Center first, though in Black2/White2 there s a Pokemon Center in your home town. I personally would like to be able to play Challenge mode Instantaneously and not have to wait till the Elite Four.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
If you don't have a friend near by, then you are kinda screwed. Gamefreak designs the games so that you have to have local friends with the games to do a lot of things. If you don't then you'd have to have a second copy with a spare DS.

SadNumel

I'm a very,very SadNumel.
Years
I never thought about it.

For some reason I think Game Freak couldn't develop a strong enough game to do that.

So, they made it to where you could only have local connection.

BUT!
What if they made it where you can trade over Wi-Fi with diffrent hubs, that can hold a small amount of players.

Just a thought.

ShadowTheDarkrai

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
I was hoping that you could trade it over Wifi. It would be much easier since Pokemon isn't as widely played in places as in Japan.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
It's annoying how you have to share the keys through local wireless because I'd like to be able to play challenge mode when I first play the game straight away, but there is no way I'm waiting for my slow friends to finish their games before I do that. At least I'll be able to do it in the second, seeing as I'm buying both the games, but it still is a major inconvenience. I really hate it when video game companies just assume that everyone has friends (that also have the games).

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Yeah you have to use Infrared, meaning your DS's literally have to be face to face with each other. I don't have any other friends who play Pokemon (or who would openly admit it, lmao) so that kind of sucks. I wouldn't even consider this local wireless because that would imply you could do it at some sort of range, where you can't even do that.

Still it's a nice option for once you have beaten the game I guess. I just wish they'd take more advantage of Wireless and just give up on everything local because let's be honest, not many people are going to playing Pokemon with their friends.

ShadowTheDarkrai

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Local trading and such should be removed and replaced in Wifi. Though I do have Pokemon playing friends they will probably take awhile and one is even considering NOT getting the game. The keys are just another example of the things we thought were easy but end up wishing it were easier. I totally agree with most of the above statements by others in this forum.

Galdr

ドラゴンのおうじ
Years
I really hate it when video game companies just assume that everyone has friends (that also have the games).

I agree with this. I find it annoying, too. I thought I could trade keys over Wi-Fi, but I guess not. :/ I'm sorta forcing my little sister to get White 2 so we can trade keys. And just in case nobody knew, the next part is spoilered.

Spoiler:

I don't have Pokemon playing friends... just siblings, and they get their games like months after I get mine. D:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
@Galdr Haha same with me and my bro.

But wait I'm confused. After you defeat the Elite Four and unlock the challenge key, does that mean you have to restart the game again if you wanna play in a different mode from the beginning? O.o

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
No I think if you reset your game it permanently deletes everything from your data including the Keys meaning you'd have to beat the game again to get a new one. That's how it works with all the past games. Its why you can't relink with the Pokewalker in HG/SS and why you can't relink your Black/White to the Dream World after deleting your data.

You can only make the game harder form where you currently are or get a second game to use the Key on to increase the difficulty.

If you delete your game to try and play it on hard mode, it will not work. You'll just delete everything including the key and most likely with rage about it for a long time.

The Keys and Challenge/Easy Mode are also two competely different things. The Key for Regice/Registeel aren't what enable the Modes, Simply beating the game enables the modes.

ShadowTheDarkrai

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2014
Yes resetting games will reset the key too. You also cannot trade keys to or use them on Black and White (not 2) so if you want to use the first game to avoid the spoilers of playing a White2 or Black 2 game and then doing it again in challenge mode. Trust me, replaying the same Pokemon Game with *slight* changes over and over again gets boring fast.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Thankfully, I can resort to Emerald Version to obtain the Regis/Legendary Golems (although there's the disadvantage of the Synchronize field effect applying to the B2W2 Regis, but not to the RSE ones), but I'm still annoyed that these Regi Keys are local wireless only instead of global WiFi. It's getting increasingly harder to find nearby people who own copies of the Pokemon games.

It's annoying how you have to share the keys through local wireless because I'd like to be able to play challenge mode when I first play the game straight away, but there is no way I'm waiting for my slow friends to finish their games before I do that. At least I'll be able to do it in the second, seeing as I'm buying both the games, but it still is a major inconvenience. I really hate it when video game companies just assume that everyone has friends (that also have the games).

This.

I agree with this. I find it annoying, too. I thought I could trade keys over Wi-Fi, but I guess not. :/ I'm sorta forcing my little sister to get White 2 so we can trade keys. And just in case nobody knew, the next part is spoilered.

Spoiler:

I don't have Pokemon playing friends... just siblings, and they get their games like months after I get mine. D:

And this.

Last edited:

Pingouin_7

I'd love to unlock both modes right about now, actually. I don't think it'll be an option right now though .___.

Chances are quite high someone will develop Action Replay codes so we can activate the modes, though.

There IS an Action Replay code.

blue

gucci
Years
I want to get Black 2 but I want to play in Challenge Mode the first time round, would I be able to do this or would I need to complete it first then use the Key?

Back