• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How do YOU make a hack?

M0ZEPH

Formally 'Resultz' - Returned!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 30, 2014
Would like to get peoples' opinions on the best way to make a hack, and the best order of tasks to complete!

What's your favourite aspect of hacking? What do you save til last?!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 24, 2014
If your new try to find some tutorials on youtube!!!
The best order Would be:
Mapping (advance Map)
Story and text (A-Text and other programs)
Adding New Pokemon (Optional)
Polishing (Adding things like night - day cycles)

My favorite aspect is customizing the game like fakemon, custom titlescreen.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I prefer to plan as much as I can first, at least the main storyline events. Then I break it down into what's going to happen in each place =) then I make the maps first, then after that do all the scripts. OWs can be edited on the side. Then I add things like 'finishing touches' a lot later, like palette editing and ASM insertion.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
My most favourite work in hacking in scripting. The best thing i'd i would suggest in hacking is be good in mapping and scripting and recurite members with different skills and then make any type of hack of your idea or story.

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
Im very good in:
-Scripts and dialogues
-some ASM works

Personally I prefer the scripts, Im very bad making sprites and maps.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Im very good in: -Scripts and dialogues -some ASM works Personally I prefer the scripts, Im very bad making sprites and maps.
Same with me, i am good in scripting, poor in mapping, worst in spriting.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
My favorite aspect is scripting events, I like making things happen. Im a fairly good mapper and I can sprite well... but but not so well that id do it for fun, I do it when i need a sprite lol.

When I make a hack, I start with the story, I make a .txt file with all my ideas. I describe the story, any cool events. any map descriptions that I may think of. I make lists in the file of all the cities and gym leaders. I trace out villin stories if there are team rocket members I mark where they would be and what they would be doing...

Then I begin mapping the first map, then add the scripts, I may add 1 map before I script or 2 or even 3 maps before I script them depending on how large the scripts need to cover (the oak script that makes you go get the parcel from viridian, I would map pallet, route 1 and varidian before scripting that)

Then when the whole game is mapped/scripted I work on all the trainer battles paying close attention to the levels so the player progresses and does not run itno a wall of super trainers or anything.

Then I place the wild pokemon, paying special attention that each one gets into the game somewhere and you arent overloaded with one type...

then I generall tweak the crap out of it...

thats my general guideline for how I make a hack... not saying its the best way, just my way

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I used to hack, first thing I would do is develop the plot; plan out everything, and figure out what I should do to achieve my outcome. Then, I'd start inserting new tiles and make maps. When I've successfully completed at least two or three of them, I'd work on scripts and start compiling. After that, I would open up the ROM and test. If everything worked as I wanted them to, I would repeat the same process, but this time, with different maps. :P

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Well since I can do pretty much everything, I'm pretty much cool with doing anything.
As far as favorites, mine would probably be music editing. It's always so cool to hear the songs in-game.

When doing a hack, once I complete planning I start with mapping and tiles, followed by scripting, and then extra features/finishing touches.

Years
I just got into hacking the games and the Mapping seems pretty straight forward for the most part once you play around with it for a couple of hours but what's getting me is the scripting. I wish i understood what most of it meant ^^ slowly learning through YouTube though which has been a golden ally in my quest to learn the scripting >:D

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 3, 2016
well, the only thing im good at is... making new starters with new types and moves, and thats all im good at,

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I like scripting and story creating. I absolutely hate mapping and spriting.

Aelidru

Forebearer of Disasters
Years
I personally do what I'm good at first, until I can't tell a Sprite from a #Dymamic Offset ~_~

So I ;
Map - Create the Land base, developing a sense of a foundation and direction of where the game will go and look like.
Compose Music - To establish a sense of theme or even identity to which the game will recognized by. (We all remember those nostalgic themes...Pkmn Yellow Elite Four anyone?)
Write a Story - To enhance the cohesiveness and overall fundamentals of the Mapping and Music, as the story should compliment and bind together the Look and sound of a Game. (The Secret to the Final Fantasy's success)
Scripting & Event Co-ordination - This can virtually happen any time, however it should come with or after the story is fleshed out(To me personally anyway), as you can then add interesting Events and twists to further the plot, while at the same time providing linear relief from single goal gameplay.(Such as with OpenWorld games)

After this, Like GUI and actual sprite and tile making, is where I pretty much flop lol. But I'd imagine they would come first if you know how to do them, so as to implement them while creating the Maps and what not for your game(s). But I am just not good at that sort of thing, so I tend to use Common Resources or just stick to the Basic Sprites/Tiles/GUI's.

My Favourite aspect of Editing Roms and what not, is probably a tight toss up between Mapping and Story Telling, as I feel that's where my strong points are and what I feel is the most fun for me.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Jan 5, 2017
I may be hacking for a short time, but this is how I'm making mine:
1-Plan the hack (story, features, etc...)
2-Make the engine => implement every feature needed for the hack
2'-Test while implementing your features (and eventually correct bugs if you find some)
3-Add everything else after your engine is stable (which means little to no bugs)
After that, everything is up to you.

Aethestode

Hacker
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
1) Get the resource
2) Plan layout
3) Script & Map
4) Then any other aesthetic changes.

Years
1.) I plan out the story, the events, sidequests, every little thing I'm going to do in my hack, what is the purpose of my hack, what characters should be there, what Pokémon, will I create new region or will I script new story in the same region.
2.) Then I add things like new moves, Pokémon, items (Mega Stones/Arceus Plates/anything else), I also add Fairy type.
3.) Change Prof. Oak introduction. I create my first town and script everything in it.
4.) Add new OWs, Sprites, Tiles.
5.) Then I just use this routine: mapping, wild Pokémon, Scripting.
6.) After everything is done, I script aftergame and add side quests.
7.) ASM Routines, Pokémon cries, Legendary battles, Move Tutors, Decapitalise as much as possible, new music, titlescreen, battle backgrounds, physical/special split, Pokédex order, egg moves.

^
That's how I plan to create my hack. Steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 are done.

Back