• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Voice Acting

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Unlikely, because like Link, the main protagonist is suppose to be you, in which you can name him/her anything thus wasting time voice recording all the possible names.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of games with voice acting where you also name your character. FF10 and Dragon Age being two notable examples. If voice acting came to Pokemon, the player character would probably be referred to as "Trainer" and eventually "Champion".

But I don't know if voice acting is the way to go for Pokemon. I mean, if it was good and not hollow sounding, I'd be okay with it. But there's so much potential for bad voice acting to ruin good characters and otherwise wonderful lines. I'm on the fence I suppose.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
Years
It's highly unlikely that we would get voice actors since it would be too hard to put actors there and if they do that, it is more likely to rivals, gym leaders, Elite Four, and other NPC's with subtitles of course.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
That would be excellent if there was voice acting in the games, it would be great to take it to an extent of being limited to only cutscenes. But I doubt that I would end up seeing it happen, but knowing that the new Pokémon cries would be more refined and using improved technology.

I'd like to hear some voice acting for the Non-playable characters. :3

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I feel that it might be possible, though I highly doubt it would happen, if it does it won't be with you since you choose what you say, hence the silent protagonist theme xD

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
I am two sided on the voice acting debate.
First, I agree with those that say it would be an expensive addition in both money and cartridge space.
But on the other hand, I would be happy with just the Pokémon voices from the anime were voiced and only in the pokédex. It has bothered for the longest time that the sounds aren't even close to the anime and the text 'spoken' by in game Pokémon seem to picked at random. I want to at least read a pikachu saying "pika~pika".

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Voice acting is cool, but I don't like it in Pokemon. I hope that there is not voice acting in the game it would be different. For games like Pokemon, Mario and LoZ; I don't wnat voice acting.

Victini

I would definitely prefer for there to not be any voice acting. ;w;
I prefer having a silent protagonist, and the ability to come up with your own "voice head-canons" for every character.

It adds to the experience and the creativity aspect for me. <3 And considering this is an international release, it'd be highly impressive for them to gather voice actors for every language and every character, and complete the acting itself on all of the games, in a matter of 8 months. .w.;

Years
No, I prefer having silent protagonists cos it helps give you thoughts on what you're doing, and also given the release they won't be able to hire different-language voices in time.

sρεcтяα

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I'd prefer it if they didn't toy around with voice acting, because in my experience, it never ends well. I mean, look at what happened to Metroid when it was given voice acting: we got Other M. Sonic has never been the same since he was given that thoroughly aggravating voice of his. I'd rather not see that happen to Pokemon as well...I'd like to see Pokemon say their names, rather than a random cry, but that's the extent of it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 26, 2013
No, voice action isn't something Pokémon. However, hearing your rival scream at you would be fun :D

MichaelSK16

Pokemon Connoisseur
Years
I'd rather they just keep the games "silent." Too many possible issues with voicing. I think the biggest thing is the fact that it is a handheld, as has been mentioned previously. A lot of people won't be in a position to be playing with the volume up. What's the point of dialogue that can't be heard?

I did, however, take interest in the idea of adding background sounds/noises or maybe emotions to trainers. That could work, but would need some visual assistance. For example, after you were to defeat a trainer, have them make some type of displeased grunt or sigh and have them show some kind of facial expression that shows disappointment. That's what they should focus on with the new games. With the 3D world, it's better they focus on the visual improvements than the audio improvements.

Years
With the amount of localization that would have to be done, and the amount of file space used vs. simple text, I would have to say I'd rather keep it the way it is. This would be the same for Pokemon cries, too, as 700+ Pokemon cries in 6 different languages is a lot more resource heavy than what we've been used to in the past.

For a spin-off game (either on a console like the Wii U or the 3DS) it could make for an interesting addition, but as for X and Y, I'm of the belief that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 12, 2023
The only kind of voice acting I want to see in a pokemon game EVER would be some of the NPCs, but that's just about it. I'm great with the pokemon cries, however some of the older gen could use some more updated cries because, well, the old 8-bit square wave or sine wave cries are a bit dated.

I don't want to go around hearing the pokemon shout their names all the time, it's one of my cons about the anime itself.

Whistler

Questioner
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2014
It would take a TON of voices for all those trainers you meet. Too much money for Nintendo. ;)

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
I would only like this if was in a console game and it would have a name lists like in the 2k sports franchise so that npc could say your name

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
It would work far better on a console game like Pokemon Colosseum or XD. Even then possibly only have voices for main characters and only during major cutscenes like right before a boss battle or something. That said, cutscenes in general would be about the only time I wouldn't mind hearing voices, especially if they make them animated. But what are the chances of that happening right?

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
Hmm...I think that would be a little interesting but could get annoying after awhile. Firstly, the voices would have to fit the character's personality. Second, there should be an option to disable the voice acting for people who aren't in favor of the idea. Personally, I'd prefer the voice acting to only be enabled during cut scenes.

Back