• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Main Characters names

Years
The boy's name has a weird spelling imo, never seen the name spelled like that before. But at least Serena looks like a great choice for the girl, so not too bad choices of names Game Freak!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The names sounds Fire Emblemish. I like it, but why didn't they choose punny names like Xavier to fit a theme like they did with Hillbert and Hilda's names being a twin theme? Everyone likes themes, and they shouldn't try to mess with it for its perfection.

Years
Serena and Calem aren't bad names. I thought Xavier and Yvonne were amusing choices for the main characters considering males have XY chromosomes and females have XX.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
After looking at them carefully they aren't the same characters. Xavier and Yvonne are the heroes while Calm and Serena are your neighbors. Game Freak just used the same model than Xavier and Yvonne and just made them Hatless. Also they have different hair style.

Female example:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Corocoro said that they were the opposite sex character, so they are Serena and Calum. Yvotte and Xavier were like Whitlea, and Blake (irc) from BW.

Also @ Pinkie-Dawn, they do have a theme, peace and tanquility as Serena means calm, peace, and Calum means Dove, a symbol of peace. Also the theme of BW wasn't twins it was strength as that's what the meanings of Hilda and Hilbert add up to. Similary Dawn and Lucas were Light, and Red and Leaf were based off their games of debut. Rosa and Nate are a word play of Resonate.

Last edited:

Years
But how they can be different from the hero you choose ?
Well remember we have customization, it's possible that the hat is part of the original customization we can use. As for the hair style, they proably did it to make one be able to know which is the main character (as in the player character) and which isn't or something like that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I heard Xavier and Yvonne are the default name you get when you choose your hero, while Calem and Serena are the name for your opposite gender rival which is your neighbor. And I think later Shauna let you choose a nickname for your hero. So at the start you are either Yvonne or Xavier then Shauna ask you which nickname you want to be called

Edit:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Serena_%28game%29

So real name is Serena ? because never saw an official reveal telling the protagonist was Serena, even the official website don't show her as Serena for the protagonist part only the NPC one.

Last edited:
Years
I heard Xavier and Yvonne are the default name you get when you choose your hero, while Calem and Serena are the name for your opposite gender rival which is your neighbor. And I think later Shauna let you choose a nickname for your hero. So at the start you are either Yvonne or Xavier then Shauna ask you which nickname you want to be called

Edit:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Serena_%28game%29

So real name is Serena ? because never saw an official reveal telling the protagonist was Serena, even the official website don't show her as Serena for the protagonist part only the NPC one.

According to their Bulbapedia pages, Xavier and Yvonne were just prototype/fanmade names, sorta like how Hilbert and Hilda were once referred to as Black/Blair and White/Whitlea until the final names were revealed, or how Lyra was called "Soul" until her name was revealed, and Ethan was referred to as "Gold" until he got renamed Ethan in HG/SS. Same also went with how Nate and Rosa were referred to as "Black2" and "White2", as well as even "Ebony" and "Ivory" for a few months. Going by that pattern, it's not uncommon for protagonists to get referred to by a name of the games, they usually call the boy by the name of the first of the paired games (Such as Ruby, Diamond, Black etc) while the girl was often referred as by the second paired version (Examples including Sapphire, Pearl, White) until the official names came out.

In fact, prior to people calling them Xavier and Yvonne for a bit, Calem and Serena were also once referred to by fans as "X-chan" and "Y-chan". Calem and Serena are the official names of the X & Y protagonists, going by what Bulbapedia claims.

pedrito3_poke

Banana
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 25, 2022
Calem and Serena are the official names of the X & Y protagonists, going by what Bulbapedia claims.

Bulbapedia is outdated. Selena and Calem are confirmed to be the names of your opposite sex rival.
Also, apparently, the male protagonist will actually be named Xavier.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
And later Shauna ask you for a nickname and she call Xavier, X-Meister. Since they keep doing something new with this generation, I'm sure the protagonists will have different names than your neighbors NPC one. Also Calem and Serena on the official website ( Us and Jap ) are only named in the new friends section, while the Protagonist section still have Hero and Heroine.

Some screenshots show Xavier and Yvonne, if their name would be Serena and Calem I'm sure the screenshot would use these names instead, since they got released at the same time than those names.

Years
And later Shauna ask you for a nickname and she call Xavier, X-Meister. Since they keep doing something new with this generation, I'm sure the protagonists will have different names than your neighbors NPC one. Also Calem and Serena on the official website ( Us and Jap ) are only named in the new friends section, while the Protagonist section still have Hero and Heroine.

Some screenshots show Xavier and Yvonne, if their name would be Serena and Calem I'm sure the screenshot would use these names instead, since they got released at the same time than those names.
Well Bulbapedia updated, and says that Xavier and Yvonne were their pre-release media names just like Whitlea and Blair.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
But how they know it's a pre-release media name like Whitlea and Blair ? What is their source ? All I saw is Neighbors names and not Protagonists names on the official info.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/xy/character/01.html
img_character_02_01.jpg

Maybe if we translate this Japanese version screenshot where it said Xavier in the English one. And that screenshot is in the Friends and Rivals section not even protagonists one. And when looking at Serena and Callem japanese name on the same page it's not the same than this screenshot.

This is what is writen: Etsuwake koko ga machiawase no wa Hiyo yo

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
According to their Bulbapedia pages, Xavier and Yvonne were just prototype/fanmade names, sorta like how Hilbert and Hilda were once referred to as Black/Blair and White/Whitlea until the final names were revealed, or how Lyra was called "Soul" until her name was revealed, and Ethan was referred to as "Gold" until he got renamed Ethan in HG/SS. Same also went with how Nate and Rosa were referred to as "Black2" and "White2", as well as even "Ebony" and "Ivory" for a few months. Going by that pattern, it's not uncommon for protagonists to get referred to by a name of the games, they usually call the boy by the name of the first of the paired games (Such as Ruby, Diamond, Black etc) while the girl was often referred as by the second paired version (Examples including Sapphire, Pearl, White) until the official names came out.

In fact, prior to people calling them Xavier and Yvonne for a bit, Calem and Serena were also once referred to by fans as "X-chan" and "Y-chan". Calem and Serena are the official names of the X & Y protagonists, going by what Bulbapedia claims.

Xavier and Yvonne were the names shown during the E3 conference along with Calem and Serena. Both are the official names. Xavier and Yvonne are the names of the PC while the NPC versions (Which are different characters) are Calem and Serena. They aren't fanmade.

Back