• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think our lives have a purpose?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'd say the purpose of life is to reproduce and continue the species, but I've grown up with a scientific background so it's not surprising haha. Although having said that, I'm gay and therefore won't be able to reproduce, so I'm essentially saying my life is pointless and that makes me uncomfortable! So I more like to think of the purpose of life to be to help the world flourish and grow and continue it's survival and existence as opposed to simply populating it. On a more personal level I do believe that everyone should strive for happiness of both them and the people around them, but whether that's a 'purpose' or not is debatable :p

droomph

weeb
Years
Life is pointless.

That being said, if we are, then why don't we make the best of it?

QED life is here so we can enjoy it. Find the truest fun there is, and that's our life's purpose.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
It is in our apparent best interests to propogate life, and it is at least more interesting than most things, but I can not and care not to ascribe it any meaning or lack thereof.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2013
Yes and no, and I'm of the opinion that it really depends on the person, and what kind of purpose they give their life. Call my perspective skewed if you want, but I personally believe that your purpose in life is somewhat based on, if not loosely revolving around the goals that you set and aim to achieve.

For example, I feel my purpose in life is to live it the best that I can, and to help as many people as possible. Whether it's in the IT field in the future, or just helping a friend out because he/she's sad or something. Helping people was something that made me feel happy, and the more that I do it, the more "purpose" that I feel in living.

That's just me, though.

JerichoMadness

He's back. And he's mad! O...o
Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
My purpose in life is to kick ass. Until I'm an old chap in a wheelchair. Then I can tell the whole world "When I was young, I kicked ass"

Seriously, people who see no purpose in life aren't curious enough what will be in their later life. That's sad.
I'll be going to university in a few weeks. It'll be more hell then heaven. But who gives? I'm up for it. At least, after I've graduated, I can say to myself "I kicked ass at university" :D

That's sort of my own purpose. Curiosity and challenging myself

E// Everyone hase a kind of purpose in life. Mine isn't that huge. I just want to know what will happen. And if I can handle it. The only goal is to kick ass :d

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
No purpose at all.

Our mommies and daddies just decided to get it on and poof, our little cells were like, "Sup let's make this dude/chick"

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I feel like "the purpose of life is to live" is a major cop-out. Basically, it's a belief that there is no purpose to life, but it sounds so much nicer to have it in a cute little soundbite that's elegantly summed up in ambiguous pseudo-intellectual phrasing, so in the end that little bunch of meaningless words pops out.

As far as my opinion on the meaning of life? I think something along the lines of Scarf. We aren't born with any one greater purpose, either individually or as a species. However, I feel that for the majority of people, we work better with a final goal in mind, even if it's an ill-formed, ambiguous goal such as "go to college, get a career, get married". Even as a kid I had that kind of goal. I didn't know what I wanted to do career-wise, I didn't know who I wanted to marry, I didn't know what school I wanted to go to. But I knew that that's in general what I wanted for my future and it gave me something to focus on when I was down or felt like there was no point in trying hard in classes or something similar.

Khawill

<3
Years
What if we were creatures with a grand purpose. The things we do, say, and interact with all affect us. With the logic of "it is just to live" that makes us sound like we are not sentient, like we are programs or robots. We can see the world, understand the universe, and even with our many flaws we come together.

The question asks "Do our lives have purpose?", but the answer isn't very easy because the question is asking two things. What purpose do our lives have, and then to who? I mean do you really live your life for just yourself? If that was the case why are there so many stories of sacrifice? Why do people even bother to risk our lives to help strangers?

People think so negatively of humans, but they don't give enough credit. We actually do things that go against our nature, our instinct. We have the ability to give our lives purpose to anyone and everyone in the world. This ties in with the statement about fate I made on the first post. One single comment can change a life, one single kind gesture can make a day. (I have one example. We had gone down to the beach (my family and I) and there was this married couple. All I said was, "you guys have a pretty strong relationship, you guys must be so happy" and I thought nothing of it (I'd actually forgotten saying it the next day) though that couple took it to heart and said that it made them much stronger. After we got home my mother had told me how happy the statement had made them.) The point is, the words seemed to have no purpose, but even something that small (to me) was quiet important to someone else.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 11, 2020
Your
life
is
what
you
make
it.

Nothing
more.

someone make a tumblr motivational image out of this post.

Sir Codin

The purpose of life is to decide what your purpose is.

In the grand scheme of things, the cosmos isn't going to hold your hand. If you're waiting for some high power to give you a universal answer to life itself, you're going to turn blue in the face and die. There isn't one.

That doesn't mean life has no meaning. The only really universal answer to life is that you have to find your own meaning.

Right now my purpose in life is to find out what that is on my own.

That probably sounded extremely cryptic. My head isn't so good right now, but I hoped that answered someone's question.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Our purpose in life is to eat delicious pizza. With our current population and the rate at which we create tasty pizzas, the angry sun will not consume us for ~5 billion years. This is why procreation is important, to have more people eating pizza to stave off the sun.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Well It's all relative really. If you think your life has a bigger purpose you will strive to achieve something great, therefore ask and you shall receive. In my opinion, I have a purpose for being here. I was just in a terrible accident where my buddy died..I wonder why not me. I guess It's the only way I can accept it, to believe I lived because some "higher power" knows I'm bound to do something great! Haha. I'm not religious, but I do believe in some sort of a higher power. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
If your life doesn't have a purpose, then why are we even born at all?
When a mummy and a daddy love each other very much....

Personally I believe people are born to do certain things. Eminem was born to be a rapper, Bill Gates was born to revolutionise the technological world, etc. It would make sense if you consider that some people are born with certain skills, which they take further and make something of themselves. All comes down to the individual though, if they don't want to strive to be the best they can be then that's their choice whereas if someone wants to make an impact in the world, they'll try their hardest to do just that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Our purpose in life is to discover our purpose.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I'd have to say I dont believe we have much of a purpose on this Earth. I don't think we are unique as intelligence in the Universe, we are simply one way for the Universe to discover and think about itself. I believe we're all result of stardust, and the creation and expansion of the Universe over the few billions of years. We're here to make our mark as a race of people, being the most ingenious and self-providing in the history of planet Earth. Not much else. As a creature, we feed on curiosity and find the answers ourselves.

But in the end, my (hopefully) 90-some years of life will truly mean nothing to anyone other than myself and those closest to me. The bad day I had today won't matter at all in a few year's time. The bad days I had when I was 15, acting like it was the end of the world, not at all true...

Cyru

-
Years
I believe that god made us all for a specific purpose, however if you think about it, it really makes no sense. Why would we be made just to take space up in heaven? I've tried to believe the theory of evolution but I just can't. The kind of intelligence that makes up the human body, the way your heart beats, the billions upon billions of cells that are working endlessly to protect us and keep us safe. It fascinates me and it leads me to believe that there must be something of a colossal intelligence that makes us and creates us for a purpose. Maybe we're all just worker bees for a higher power, idk

Back