• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Fire and Lightning - Generation V Fan Club

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
That park's my new favourite place. dem stunfisk <3

What was your absolute favourite city/town in Unova?

Castelia! Filled with modern city life and endless possibilities for exploration, it feels like the starting point for real adventure. The streets are full of people to interact and talk with, there are loads of buildings to check out and overall, it gives off the impression of any capital city in our world today. Throw in the ability to navigate the sewers and battle trainers on the streets and you've got yourself a pretty good city. :]

Years
Seems we have a lot of good answers here! Castelia City was another place I thought was nice for its buildings and NYC-esque design. And to add to that, there are quite a few important items the game gives you there, and it's where the Game Freak executives reside.

Opelucid was another one that was a cool version exclusive thing they did, while one made it futuristic the other was rural and past oriented. It was something I think they made well, and they both get separate themes. Nimbasa City is up there for me too, plenty to do there including the stadiums and the ferris wheel, and the Gym is one of the more fun ones.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
YES THIS CLUB IS BACK

Username: Zekrom
Partner Pokémon: Zekrom, duh
Reason for joining: Gen V is still the best gen
Answer the current topic!: What's the current topic, favorite city?

Iiiiiiiiiif I had to pick, it'd probably be Driftveil City because it houses the move tutors and the PWT, which I very much liked. Also dat music. Nimbasa City is pretty good too.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Username: MidnightCombat
Partner Pokémon: Scrafty
Reason for joining: Cause Gen 5 is <333333 Seriously though, lots of postgame, love how you are forced into using only the new Pokemon: also they are lovely designs too and the animated sprites are still good.
Answer the current topic!: Favourite City:
I don't really have on since I think they are all unique in a way but if I had to choose it would be Striaton City. I really don't know why but I just like the aesthetics about it? Also, it's the place where it's close to the daycare; yay breeding!

Years
Yay! More members! Including one I recognize from Marriland, haha.

That aside, I posted in the Generation V forum about an article from Bulbanews that they just posted in their "Can we catch 'em all?" series on Generation V, which might be worth checking out.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
The article was a nice read from what I skimmed through. Originally, I thought it was going to be talking about all the new pokemon and how long it would take to complete the dex - but apparently not! Either way, I agree completely. Gen V was great for how fresh and new it was compared to the other mainseries games. New fans could dig into it while old fans would still enjoy the older aspects of pokemon incorporated into Gen V. The basic idea of beating the gym leaders and champion remained the same but there were a few tweaks here and there. Such as Team Plasma believing in the liberty of pokemon as opposed to the morals of capturing them (Team Galactic / Rocket). People were also forced to use new pokemon instead of knowing who was strong in previous games. Overall, I think that's what makes Gen V one of my favourites - it's new, it's different and it works.

Also I have to ask - how did you guys feel about having to exclusively use Gen V pokemon during the main storyline? Did you not like it or were you happy to use a full team of new pokemon?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Also I have to ask - how did you guys feel about having to exclusively use Gen V pokemon during the main storyline? Did you not like it or were you happy to use a full team of new pokemon?
I liked it. The last time we were forced to use only the new Pokemon during the main story was Gen I, so it was a sorta nice change of pace, especially since it forced you to learn about and try all the new ones instead of just goin' with yer old favorites again+whatever new shit is cool. Gen V had plenty of good pokes too (despite people complaining about the designs not being "creative" enough or some shit).

It's not something I want them to do again anytime soon though, cuz it won't be so great if that becomes the norm. It'll lose it's freshness.

I kinda wish though that they took the opportunity to do something about the annoying thing where caves are inhabited only by Geodudes and Zubats. They just replaced them with Roggenrola and Woobat.....

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015

Although I preferred using Pokémon outside of one region, it was definitely a nice breath of fresh air to use Gen V Pokémon only. It not only has given me a challenge, but the small amount has made me take the time to try out tonnes of Pokémon. It also helps that I love many of the Gen V Pokémon, whether it be their design or battling potential.

Years
How did you guys feel about having to exclusively use Gen V pokemon during the main storyline? Did you not like it or were you happy to use a full team of new pokemon?
This topic works for me, i'll go with it. Anyway, when I first played BW in 2011, I wasn't really sure what to make of it. But a while later, it soured on me thanks to the B2W2 haters making it out to be the best thing ever, as I didn't really get what was so amazing about it. After I came back to BW eventually, it grew on me and i've fully adapted to it, because it makes you come to like them more in time than you would as opposed to using stuff you've used in past games.

As a whole I still liked B2W2's New Unova Pokédex more, but this came to be something that I could considerably appreciate.

faf

Years
I've read the article but I'll post my thoughts about it later.
How did you guys feel about having to exclusively use Gen V pokemon during the main storyline? Did you not like it or were you happy to use a full team of new pokemon?
I loved it though at first I have moments where I felt like I wasn't playing a Pokemon game. Echoing, it did give me a chance to experiment with the new mons and thanks to that I've changed my favourite Pokemon as well as enjoyed the rest of the Unovians. I was neutral when they brought back the older Pokemon in BW2 since Unova has so many options to use but at the same time it helps with the dex.

Years
Seems we have people that liked it, which is good, while others preferred B2W2's variety more. As I said, I like both but there are some that may not agree. Anyway, I think it's time for a new topic!

Which Unova Pokémon would you want to give a Mega Evolution to?

Probably not an original one, but a topic to get this back up nonetheless.

Years

I'll just make a short-ish list. Number one would be the 3 final starter forms, because Gen V's starters are probably the worst in terms of competitive play. Also, I'd really like to see what GameFreak could add to them, especially Emboar. Number two would be Druddigon. You could really do a lot with Druddigon, as it's very forgotten about, like Medicham and Banette were before they got Megas. Number three would be Chandelure. Lots of Pokemon that have a really high Attack stat got Megs, such as Heracross, Salamence, and Pinsir. I think it would be nice to see more specially-based Megas, and Chandelure is the perfect fit, having base 145 special attack.

Years
How did you guys feel about having to exclusively use Gen V Pokemon during the main storyline? Did you not like it or were you happy to use a full team of new Pokemon?

I think it was a pretty neat concept to say the least, because they were going for this "new beginning" approach and that's why they made Unova so isolated from other regions and having a Pokedex made up of only the native Pokemon that couldn't be found anywhere else. But as Pendraflare himself said, it helps you grow to love the resident Pokemon of the region.

I'm with User 101 here, the starters definitely need Megas given how bad these three all suck in terms of competitive play so a well-needed boost in the form of a Mega can really help patch up their mediocrity. The reason I know why they don't excel compared to other starters is because their stats are in the wrong places and a Mega can help boost the stat they really need, like maybe patch up Emboar's bad defenses or Serperior's lackluster offenses, and also make Samurott a bit faster.

faf

Years
I'm 90% sure the Unova starters will get megas so I won't say them. And I really want M. Scrafty because it got nerfed badly in Gen 6; expansive movepool and great abilities but only watered down by its stats.

Apart from that, Archeops and Carracosta could both use one, if Aero got a Mega then it would be cool if these fossils got 'em too. They are both underwhelming in competitive play (especially Archeops' ability) and both would love a boost. Cofagrigus is another one I enjoyed using in Gen 5 UU and it's unique with the ability. Higher stats would be lovely.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023

Well it actually didn't seem that different cave-wise as mentioned previously. It was still the same idea - just with other pokemon. Woobat and Roggenrola seemed to replace the Zubats and Geodudes that had haunted the places previously. And of course the traditional starter types, HM slave and first route pokemon idea remained the same. But otherwise, the pokemon all seemed different to any ones that had been invented previously.

I really liked the surprise of it all though. Everyone was encouraged to try the new pokemon and their fun and weird designs. There were more inanimate objects, more colours and a lot of new ideas when it came to the concepts used. This was one of the things that I enjoyed most about Gen V, how different it was compared to any other mainseries game.

So yes, I enjoyed it definitely! I wouldn't mind the same idea being used in future gens either.

The starters, for one. If you were to give megas to anything else, you'd be neglecting the most important pokemon of the game apart from legendaries.

I'm really with the Archeops suggestion too. It'd stop people calling it a 'less better aerodactyl' as it's quite a great pokemon. A mega would help it go even or better with its generation counterpart.

And if they were to create mega legendaries, what about giving the four swords megas? I feel like that could work though it might be too many evolutions to design.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Username: Peitharchia.
Partner Pokémon: Volcarona.
Reason for joining: Although I'm not much of a big generation five fan, generally, I still admire all the new Pokémon and mechanics it had introduced to us, and would love to join in on the conversation!

What City/Town was your absolute favorite in Unova?
There is a couple!

One of them would likely have to be Castelia City (I hope I've spelled it correctly). It's gargantuan--much, much bigger than any other cities they have had in the past. Alongside, it also has a lot of places here and there for us to explore, even though most are merely buildings.

As far as its theme goes, I loved it; if you ask me, it was rather bright and vibrant.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
Which Unova Pokémon would you want to give a Mega Evolution to? Mienshao, by a long shot. Since I've explained about why it should get a Mega Evolution, I'm just gonna be lazy and quote a post from another thread.

This is a very tricky question. Game Freak doesn't just pick a Pokémon at random and slap a new Mega Evolution onto it. According to an review with Ken Sugimori, he said that the Pokémon with Mega Evolutions are either needing of a balance in battling or that they're fan favourites.

Mega Mienshao: Okay, this one might not happen since Mienshao is still new, but I will mention one thing. According to a magazine in Japan, there was a popularity poll about Unova Pokémon. One of the Pokémon, Audino, is Number 23 of said poll. Mienshao is Number 26. If Audino has gotten a Mega thanks to its average stats and popularity, then I see no reason to not give Mienshao a Mega. Granted, its stats are fine the way it is, but I could definitely see some kind of boost to them one day.

I might also add another thing about its popularity. Last year, Pokémon.com held a mini tournament called the Fighting Type Face Off. Not only Mienshao made it into the Top 4, but the remaining 3 were either a Legendary or a Mega Pokémon.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'd like Mega Evolutions for Volcarona, Hydreigon, and Zekrom. Volcarona and Hydreigon are solid, cool Pokemon that are often ignored in favor of their brethren (Heatran, Mega Zard, Talonflame; Garchomp, Lati@s, Salamence, etc) and could use a boost. Hydreigon in particular could be a cool Dragon/Steel type since its design was originally to be a cyborg dragon, and it'd be nice to finally have another Dragon/Steel type.

Mega Zekrom because Zekrom

Years
Seems we got some nice answers here, if I say. I'll give one that hasn't been mentioned yet: Eelektross. Although Eelektross having Levitate is one thing that makes it unique, its stats are decent all-around but never really struck me as being overly cool. Since it has pretty good Attack and Special Attack with a handful of moves to use it with, they could likely do something like they did with Mega Camerupt and lower its Speed for more attacking capabilities and Sheer Force, which is probably what I would do.

Aside from that, I too would like to see Mega Druddigon, Haxorus and Hydreigon, they're all powerful on their own but could certainly use some buffs what with the Fairy-type and other things that have come about in the newer generations. And Mega Scolipede, because you know me.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
There are many Unovian Pokémon out there I would consider giving mega-evolution to, haha.

First on my list is Volcarona. This one is already quite good on its own, as it could wreak some major havoc after it's done setting up with Quiver Dance and whatnot, but even so, it also has some major disadvantage (being four-times weak against moves such as Stealth Rock), causing it to be sort of tough to utilize. Had it gained a mega-form with possibly some defensive boosts, I believe that could change.

Along with above, another Pokémon would be Jellicent. It was very popular back when generation five of games were first introduced, but sadly, its popularity seemed to have dwindled a ton over the years. With access to a mega-evolution form, hopefully, this will change, as we'd find ourselves utilizing it more due to its improved stats, better range of moves, new ability, etc.

Back