• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Monokid

Years
This thread is up for archival purposes. If you want to see my most recent project, Pokémon Cobalt, click me.

Monokid

The Essence. A mysterious, multicoloured gas that provides energy to each and every organism on the face of Fos. Without it, the entire Colour species would go extinct. However, when the people of Fos began to abuse the Essence, they slowly, unknowingly, began to kill themselves. When all looked dire, a wizard, it is said, descended from the skies, shrouded in a cloak of mystery, and trapped the Essence inside all; unable to be removed, unable to be abused. This ensured the longevity of the species.

The security of the Essence, however, was threatened when a seemingly innocuous scientist invented a machine able to extract the Essence from the Colour people and be used to make an indestructible material, aptly named Indestructite. While the scientist did not invent the extractor out of malice, once the machine fell into the hands of a group of beings known as The Painters, everything went wrong. People began to lose their Essence overnight, and, slowly, in the darkness, a new empire was being formed.

On the other side of the world, Monokid and the villagers of Kyanos Village lead a simple life. Almost everyone were farmers, and not much happened. Except one night, The Painters paid the peaceful village a visit. They raided the village of their gold, their livestock, and of their Essence. Monokid was the healthiest. Monokid was the bravest. Monokid had to save his people. You are Monokid. You play as the hero. You play as the one who must save your family, who must save Kyanos Village, and who must save Fos. A dangerous world full of adventure and peril awaits. Are you ready? Then go!​

Screenshots

O8Bc2.png
Qjg8S.png

fRdjW.png
I0KNF.png

M6ScA.gif
9RxJu.png

Special Thanks and Credits

Last edited:

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Looking good. If you want some advice on how to code it in GML, give me a shout on here or dA.

Years
Looking good. If you want some advice on how to code it in GML, give me a shout on here or dA.

:D Thanks a load Rossay, it's appreciated. I sure will :3
Good luck with Spirit Master btw.

Update

monokid___screenshot_7_by_sphericalice-d4jz1y7.png

This is a screenshot of the introduction cutscene thing. The background was created by the forever talented Cilerba.​

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
That's some splendid work you did there, Haroun and Max!

I like the unique style, the number of Greek-originated words and the overall spriting. The story is simple yet ample for such a game, I can't wait to see how the gameplay unfolds! Best of luck with this.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
:D Thanks a load Rossay, it's appreciated. I sure will :3
Good luck with Spirit Master btw.

You're welcome ^.^, I'm always happy to support original games! Besides, I love the style you are developing for Monokid; it's very cute :3.

I assume it'll be a platform game, if so, I can give you a good engine to get you started.

Years
That's some splendid work you did there, Haroun and Max!

I like the unique style, the number of Greek-originated words and the overall spriting. The story is simple yet ample for such a game, I can't wait to see how the gameplay unfolds! Best of luck with this.
Thanks!

Glad to see you like this, dude.

You're welcome ^.^, I'm always happy to support original games! Besides, I love the style you are developing for Monokid; it's very cute :3.

I assume it'll be a platform game, if so, I can give you a good engine to get you started.
Thanks again. Yup, it is a platform game, though I pretty much have the engine down pat for now. As in, move left, right, jump, gravity, stuff like that (none of the screenshots are mockups). But thanks for the offer :3

Update

monokid___screenshot_8_by_sphericalice-d4jz9xi.png

This screenshot depicts more of the introduction cutscene, once again pixelled by the amazing Cilerba.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Yay, you guys finally have a thread for what is shaping up to be a fun and enjoyable game. Its great to see more screenshots and by the sound of it, the project is progressing quite comfortably. While the graphics appear pretty simple, they all go well together and have a great overall style. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the gameplay looks :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
This game looks very fun and well-presented. I do have a question, however, and that is how is the game going to be played. It seems like a simple platformer, but since I see a theme of color involved with the game, will that play a factor for the game play?

Years
Yay, you guys finally have a thread for what is shaping up to be a fun and enjoyable game. Its great to see more screenshots and by the sound of it, the project is progressing quite comfortably. While the graphics appear pretty simple, they all go well together and have a great overall style. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the gameplay looks :)
Thanks broseph :3

This game looks very fun and well-presented. I do have a question, however, and that is how is the game going to be played. It seems like a simple platformer, but since I see a theme of color involved with the game, will that play a factor for the game play?
Thanks! The game is a platformer, yes, but I do have plans of introducing an inventory and weapon system. Obviously, there is the paintball gun, but I do have plans to include a sword, boomerang, stuff like that, and they will probably rely on Paint, which you get from collecting paintbrushes (see the last screenshot on the first post).

Years

Update

I've rewritten the story a little, as it was missing out some details and wasn't really worded in the best way possible.
The Essence. A mysterious, multicoloured gas that provides energy to each and every organism on the face of Fos. Without it, the entire Colour species would go extinct. However, when the people of Fos began to abuse the Essence, they slowly, unknowingly, began to kill themselves. When all looked dire, a wizard, it is said, descended from the skies, shrouded in a cloak of mystery, and trapped the Essence inside all; unable to be removed, unable to be abused. This ensured the longevity of the species.

The security of the Essence, however, was threatened when a seemingly innocuous scientist invented a machine able to extract the Essence from the Colour people and be used to make an indestructible material, aptly named Indestructite. While the scientist did not invent the extractor out of malice, once the machine fell into the hands of a group of beings known as The Painters, everything went wrong. People began to lose their Essence overnight, and, slowly, in the darkness, a new empire was being formed.

On the other side of the world, Monokid and the villagers of Kyanos Village lead a simple life. Almost everyone were farmers, and not much happened. Except one night, The Painters paid the peaceful village a visit. They raided the village of their gold, their livestock, and of their Essence. Monokid was the healthiest. Monokid was the bravest. Monokid had to save his people. You are Monokid. You play as the hero. You play as the one who must save your family, who must save Kyanos Village, and who must save Fos. A dangerous world full of adventure and peril awaits. Are you ready? Then go!

Altias

Ms. Nomnomnom
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 5, 2014
I love the screencaps so far! Can't wait to see it when it's in beta/able to play :3

Years
I love the screencaps so far! Can't wait to see it when it's in beta/able to play :3

Thanks! I can't wait to release it, either :3

Team Paint is currently looking for pixel artists/spriters.

We have got Cilerba helping out, but I don't want to overwork him, so...if you're a pixel artist/spriter, PM me with some proof?

Last edited:
Years
So, bad news. My computer, with all of the work of Monokid on it (amongst other things (my Minecraft data ;__;)) is seemingly irreparably damaged and doesn't want to go past the boot screen. And the worst of all is it's the hard drive which is screwed, so even if my computer gets replaced, there's a very very VERY low chance I'll be able to retrieve any data. At the moment I'm using my sister's ancient computer, so I can't even use this to start again yet. So yeah, it's gonna be a while 'till you see any updates ;__;

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Holy thunderstorm. That's just too bad...

Let's hope for the data retrieval method to work now. What about Max? Is he holding onto any part of the data?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Ouch. I know how you feel. Having something on your hard-drive or the program itself mess up and you lose over a month of work.

It's best you carry an external hard drive (i.e. a Flash Drive) to keep a back-up of your projects in case something like that happens.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 9, 2022
This looks awesome! Monokid is an awesome name by the way and I hope you and Team Paint are successful!

NatureKeeper

I can swear as soon as I saw these screenshots in your signature I smelled Game Maker. I dunno why, though, but mostly the textbox and the font. xD Anyway, good luck with this. GML usually causes ragequits in my case.

Back