• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Favorite Gen 1 Starter In-Game

Which was your favorite in-game starter from Gen 1?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Charmander

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters
Years
Back in the Gen 1 day, we had 4 Pokemon that we could start our journeys with. I've heard a lot about your favorite starters battling-wise, but what was your favorite starter in-game? Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, or Pikachu?

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2016
Bulbasaur is the only starter that you don't have a good alternative to. There no better grass pokemon out there then Bulbasaur's fully evolved form.

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2013
Wow I'm surprised no votes for Charmander yet lol I'd have to say Bulbasaur was just a bausss.

Shangahyando

The odd one.
Years
Water-type Blastoise which I love and always choose as my starter in 1st gen games. It's really powerfull and as Gary's best pokemon impressed me a lot in the anime.

Sirfetch’d

Squirtle for me! It was my very first Pokemon ever and always will be special. It is the reason I got into Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2015
Bulbasaur has always been solid for me. Strong against the first three gyms, all those status moves, evolves early, can't beat it.

Years
Bulbasaur. He sort of reminded me of a pet, and when I was 9 it appealed to me because I had a dog. Charmander didn't look too friendly and I just never even considered Squirtle. As I replayed the game, I realized I didn't like any other grass Pokemon. I believe someone else already stated this, but there weren't really any that impressed me. I had other water (Gyarados) and fire (Magmar) Pokemon I liked, but a high level Vileplume was never on my "want" list. Also, even though I'm not a fan of the Eeveelutions, Flareon and Vaporeon were other options to Squirtle and Charmander.

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
Years
Bulbasaur. It's actually the only dual type basic starter which is pretty cool, having grass/poison. Leech seed proved to be very helpful in difficult situations, and acted as an emergency health item, if you're running out of potions. A combination of sleep powder, and leech seed grants free turns of healing, which you would mostly need during your kanto quest.

//offtopic: My interest in bulbasaur was more of during a battle in a different generation (competitive), and when I went back to play the original rby, only then did it pique my interest that bulbasaur was indeed my starter of choice.

it has advantages on the first gyms as well, so it wouldn't be difficult to train it in anticipation of the tougher challenges.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I always used to pick Charmander as a kid because I just thought Charizard was the coolest thing ever. lol

But now that I'm a lot more experienced and understand the games better, I have to go with Bulbasaur. I believe he is the most practical option not only because he's strong against the first few gyms, but also because he's part poison, which prevents him from getting poisoned.
And I think he's a total cutie pie.

I'm not a big fan of most of the Gen 1 Grass types, so nowadays I tend to go with Bulbasaur because I actually like him and his evolutions a lot.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
I see how Bulbasaur is leading but I always Felt that Charmander was the best I mean Cmon It evolves Into a CHARIZARD

Ruben967

Lights they blind me
Years
Well, I only had Yellow, so I got really attached to that Pikachu, even if it couldn't evolve.
I know he isn't the best, but it's my favourite of all the Gen I starters x)

Years
I always used to pick Charmander as a kid because I just thought Charizard was the coolest thing ever. lol

But now that I'm a lot more experienced and understand the games better, I have to go with Bulbasaur. I believe he is the most practical option not only because he's strong against the first few gyms, but also because he's part poison, which prevents him from getting poisoned.
This is the exact same way I felt about it both then and now. Nothing beat having a Charizard as a kid, and it was easily one of my favorite Pokemon. Now though, even though I don't really like Venusaur, I'd still choose it over the other two because of how useful it is, and that there are plenty other (and arguably better) Fire and Water Pokemon to choose from.

Calem

Water Pokemon Master
Years
Squirtle of Course!!! Even though it's look weak, Squirtle can learn Counter and the ultimate move Hydro Cannon. It's Good for battling Brock and Blaine too, But maybe not the Gym in Celadon City (Forgot her name) and LT.Surge Gym . After it evolved into Wartortle then Blastoise It's power is powerful enough to Beat a Gym Alone :)

PS. This is My Opinion, So don't judge me :)

Back