• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
I've just started Sapphire. I chose Torchic (obviously) and named it Cranberry, then made my way to Petalburg to catch a Shroomish, which I haven't thought of a good name for yet. Any suggestions?

Wow, you beat red with a 39 and a 40? And you call the level 79 your LVP? :P

Oh, and it must be named Shroob, Puffstool, or Daytripper. Shroob is from Mario and Luigi 2, Puffstool is from Pikmin, and Daytripper is from Misty's Emerald (Er, I mean Redchocobo) file of coolness that resulted in a screenshot LP and is the inspiration for my current LPing.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
You kinda have to do all four generations too. :P

Anyway, I've almost reached Mauville. I decided to name my Shroomish "Marley". Got to Rustboro, beat Roxanne easily with Bullet Seed (it's alright that neither of my Pokemon were Fighting-type yet, right?). Saved the annoying old man's Wingull so he would take me to Dewford, as apparently this region doesn't have any kind of postal service. Caught a Makuhita in Granite Cave and named it Pogg. I have no idea where the name came from, it just felt right.

Time to show this region's fighting-type trainer who's boss.... apparently it's him. Yeah, he beat me on my first try. So I grinded a few levels and then beat him second time around. Nobody messes with the true Fighting-type champion (twice)! Went north, beat a few trainers and found my rival. She was surprisingly tough, tougher than in Emerald, but I still beat her easily enough.

Again, I've recorded the battle instead of describing them.

Roxanne:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTXHIxt4-wA
Brawly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15M4sktqpCg&feature=channel
Rival: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42QoRt96fSQ&feature=channel

Cranberry/Combusken
Spr_3r_256.png

Lvl. 21
- Ember
- Peck
- Double Kick
- Sand-Attack
An absolute powerhouse. I can't think of anything wrong with this guy as of yet. Double Kick smahes everything in sight

Marley/Shroomish
Spr_3r_285.png

Lvl. 22
- Bullet Seed
- Headbutt
- Stun Spore
- Leech Seed
Bullet Seed is a greatly underestimated move, it has proved useful and I guess will continue to in this water-dominated region. Stun Spore+Leech Seed is one of my favourite tactics. One complaint - he still isn't a fighting-type. ;)

Pogg/Makuhita
Spr_3r_296.png

Lvl. 21
- Arm Thrust
- Fake Out
- Sand-Attack
- Rock Tomb
Slow, but solid. The weak link of my team at the moment, but I'm sure will improve. I accidentally didn't learn Vital Throw, which is annoying.

EDIT:
Wow, you beat red with a 39 and a 40? And you call the level 79 your LVP? :P

Er yeah, I'm just skilled like that, :P Lol no, they were all lvl. 73.

Oh, and it must be named Shroob, Puffstool, or Daytripper. Shroob is from Mario and Luigi 2, Puffstool is from Pikmin, and Daytripper is from Misty's Emerald (Er, I mean Redchocobo) file of coolness that resulted in a screenshot LP and is the inspiration for my current LPing.

Oh yeah, I read the Emerald LP. It truly is filled with awesome. Shame I already named it, I'll have to make do with Marley.

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
Time for a HUGE update(filled with videos)

Finished grinding my team
I've defeated Will ,but forgot to record it. WON'T RETRY AGAIN AS HE'S A PAIN(JYNX+XATUS)
Defeated Koga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzKyUKoWdVM
Defeated Bruno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRSVfs5x-uY
Defeated Karen(I love her quotes!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKPYwMhkm0
Defeated Lance on second try
Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG19MeD90dk
Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQwOhbpBswo
Entered Hall of Fame http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev8BnvIuvYs
BONUS:Defeat against Lance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMvlPrOE3J0
Defeated Lt. Surge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkdNLDmzrE
Got the Train pass
Defeated Sabrina http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NAkj4vkMY4
Defeated Erika http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSuJWCO6uw
Defeated Misty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDG_jC6h458
Defeated Brock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhLu52lofGA
Defeated Rival for the Sixth time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AgfGPTQF6s
Defeated Janine[Lost the video]
Defeated Blaine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojaJCNGMEM0
Defeated Blue
Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXl5DRAn3Lo
Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4213pQSl8lQ

Team:

Dotax F @ Focus Band
Spr_2s_070.png

Lv 58
-Razor Leaf
-Sludge Bomb
-Wrap
-Poison Powder

Anyal F @ Leftovers
Spr_2s_189.png

Lv 57
-Leech Seed
-Cotton Spore
-Stun Spore
-Headbutt

Nilaf F @ Quick Claw
Spr_2s_044.png

Lv 58
-Petal Dance
-Attract
-Poison Powder
-Acid

Ionam M @ Leftovers
Spr_2s_102.png

Lv 58
-Rollout
-Sleep Powder
-Psychic
-Solarbeam

Now grinding for Red. And gonna try to get a Sun Stune.
It's sad you can't get Leaf Stones(only one but it takes too much time) in that game

Medli

I am Error.
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2010
GrassGiant said:
It's sad you can't get Leaf Stones(only one but it takes too much time) in that game

You can get Leaf Stones from a trainer who calls you, right? Well, it always takes forever to get that call. But I realized that you can kind of cheese out the game. What you do is go to your house and change the Daylight Savings Time thing. Almost all the time, when you walk out of the house, someone calls you. Then you just repeat until you get the Leaf Stone. To make it easier, just delete all the phone numbers besides the one you want. I think that Picnicker Gina on the route below Goldenrod has Leaf Stones. The key word here is "think," though.

... I hope that isn't technically "cheating." I think it's somewhat fair given that we have to go through the entire game with one type, it helps to be, you know, evolved. :/

Oh, this is the YeahYeahYeahs, by the way. If you could change my name on the front page to my new name, that would be great. I'm on the Fire type in Sinnoh.

Last edited:

rew_s11

ERROR 404
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2016
I will take poison and Will start on yellow tomorrow if possible But I will be able to play much only on weekends problably

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 2, 2017
-Beat Falkner with ease
-Caught a Bold Wooper (lv6)
-Got Dome Fossil (after finding 3 Old Ambers...)
-Arrived in Azalea

Current Team:
Wooper Lv15
"Gator" (Croconaw) Lv20

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2010
Monotype Challenge Kanto : Bug

Okay, it has been almost four months. My internet has been down so I haven't been able to post any updates but I did complete my monotype bug challenge for the Kanto Region in Yellow. I tried taking a screenshot of it with my phone's camera but it totally sucked so I decided to just scrap it... :P I'll just post what I did.

• Got the Cascade Badge by beating Misty (Sleep Powder pwned)
  • Caught a Venonat. (And did some grinding). Oh, and nicknamed it V
  • Met Bill and got the S.S. Ticket.
  • Beat Rival and got Cut on the S.S. Anne.
  • Trained a bit. (Evolved Venonat and Paras)
  • Challenged Surge and got the Thunder Badge. (Which was much easier using Butters' Sleep Powder.
  • Went to dark cave and wandered through aimlessly.
  • Made it to Lavender Town.
  • Went to Celadon and pwned Erika with Butters mostly.
  • Got the Silph Scope and then went and got the Pokeflute.
  • Went to the Fighting Dojo and pwned it with Venomoth and Butterfree's Psychic-type attacks.
  • Traveled to Fuchsia and went to find Surf (took forever) and caught a Poliwag to be the Surf HM Slave. I planned on getting a Scyther or Pinsir but didn't want to have to train anymore so I moved onward.
  • Beat Koga (which was easy with the Psybeam attack from Butters and V).
  • Went back to Saffron and defeated the Rockets (again, oh, and my rival too which was kind of hard since he had evolved his Eevee into Flareon).
  • Beat Sabrina (Not the easiest thing I'd ever done).
  • Surfed to Cinnabar Island and searched for the key in the burned down mansion.
  • Battled and Beat Blaine (in an epic and intense battle which I almost lost if it weren't for the sleep powder of my Butterfree).
  • Returned to Viridian and beat Giovanni (Was not very challenging at all).
  • Beat my Rival again (along with his evil little Flareon).
  • Barely made it through the Indigo Plateu.
  • Did quite a bit of training (which was spread out over a week because I was pretty lazy and tired from school).
  • Stocked up on items.
  • Battled & Beat Lorelei (Wasn't too hard.)
  • Battled & Beat Bruno (Used Shroomy for his Onixs since it knew Mega Drain)
  • Battled & Beat Agatha (Psychic moves were very helpful once again.)
  • Battled & Beat Lance (Which would have been nearly impossible without Sleep Powder.)
  • Battled & Beat Rival
  • Completed the Challenge
Final Team:

Spr_1y_012.png

BUTTERS
Lv.62
Attacks;
-Psybeam
-Sleep Powder
-Poison Powder
-Double-Edge

Spr_1y_047.png

SHROOMY
Lv. 58
Attacks;
-Mega Drain
-Dig
-Slash
-Cut

Spr_1y_049.png

V
Lv. 61
Attacks;
-Psychic
-Psybeam
-Hyper Beam
-Sleep Powder

HM Slaves; Poliwhirl (Surf, Strength) , Spearow (Fly), and Oddish (Cut)

I plan on continuing on to Johto in Crystal Version

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012
= Part Three: Splunking Galore =

Unfortunatley, I have a lisp, so some of the words in this section may be quite weird. (I don't really, but hopefully it will make things for more entertaining.)

= Gym Battle One: The Boulder Badge =

Now it is time to face Bwock, the Wock type Gym Leader. I wun over to him, and the battle begins.

Now first of all Bwock, appears to be blind, (or maybe just stupid) as he never seems to have his eyes open. Maybe he's needs that Laser Eye Surgery, they're always going on about on the TV.

Anyway, first Brock sends out his Geodude, which I defeat by using Growl and Leer, to weaken its Attack and Defense, and the repitition of using Fury Attack.

When I was younger, I used to think Fury Attack was called Furry Attack, like it was some kind of cute furry animal attacking you.

Back to the fight, next Bwock will send out his Onix, which I killed using the same method as with Geodude.

I have beaten Bwock and he gives me the Boulder Badge. Wow, well done Nintendo. Could you think of a worse name to give a badge. Let's hope Misty's badge actually has a decent name.

= Route 3, and Mt Moon =

Anyway, now that I have defeated Bwock, I am ready to head to Mt. Moon. I whizz through Route 3, avoiding the shorts obssessed boy. I then reach Mt Moon, and find it difficult to defeat the annoying Hikers, who seem to live in Mt Moon.

Sorry, I am going to stop my challenge, due to lack of time.

Thanks, for anyone who was reading the first parts of my challenge.

Last edited:

The Sceptile King

Just came back from a break!
Years
ultimate monotype challenge - psychic

(using my part from dragon since I got barely any progress as
i was at front of mount moon

-restored at pewter poke center
-went into mount moon
-barely got out
-beat misty's lackeys
-beat misty

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
Years
There is my update for my Grass Challenge:

- Beat the fourth gym with Paras and Dig
- Beat the fifth gym with Skiploom and Leech Seed
- Beat the sixth badge with Paras and Dig
- Beat the seventh gym with Bayleef and Iron Tail
- Beat the Team Rocket in Goldenrod City
- Hoppip evolved into Skiploom
- Skiploom evolved into Jumpluff
- Sunkern evolved into Sunflora with a Sun stone
- Oddish evolved into Gloom
- Bellsprout evolved into Weepinbell
- Paras evolved into Parasect
- Bayleef evolved into Meganium

My team:
Weepinbell - Lv 31
- Vine Whip
- Acid
- Cut
- Stun Spore

Gloom - Lv 31
- Absorb
- Sleep Powder
- Acid
- Stun Spore

Sunflora - Lv 32
- Petal Dance
- Sunny Day
- Mega Drain
- Synthesis

Parasect - Lv 32
- Leech Life
- Spore
- Rock Smash
- Dig

Jumpluff - Lv 32
- Leech Seed
- Stun Spore
- Poison Powder
- Headbutt

Meganium - Lv 33
- Strength
- Body Slam
- Razor Leaf
- Iron Tail

Years
This challenge looks fun, I will be starting a challenge with Water type, beginning on Leaf Green.

Edit, story update:
-Talked to Oak, named myself & rival
-Withdrew potion from PC, went out into grass to meet Oak, picked Squirtle as starter
-Beat rival, went to Viridian and got parcel, went back to Pallet Town and got Pokedex
-Sped through Viridian Forest, skipping the first four trainers. The last Weedle fainted in 3 tackles.
-Sped even faster through first gym, not even stopping to heal. Squirtle grew a level for every Pokemon he defeated.
-Suddenly remembered I forgot to catch a Pidgey for fly, so I went to do that. Then moved on, received running shoes
from aide.
-Saved.

Current Party:
Squirtle Lv.14
Pidgey Lv.4 (Slave)

Last edited:

rew_s11

ERROR 404
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2016
Player Name: Venon
Badges:
Type: Poison

- Started the game on Yellow
- got pikachu and beat rival
- Delivered oaks parcel
- caught Nidoran Male,named Zina
- go up to pewter city
- beat brock easily due to double kick and Zina evolved too
- go trought mt.moon
- beat rockets,super nerd,Jessie&James,got dome fossil and exit the cave
- reach celurean and beat rival Blue
- pwed nugget bridge
- Caught Bellsprout,named it Bell(I am not creative)
- Caught Venonat,named it Merlin

Team:
Zina / Nidorino Lv 24
Poison Sting
Horn Atack
Double Kick
Leer

Bell/ Bellsprout Lv 12
Vine whip
Growth

Merlin / Venonat Lv 13
Tackle
Disable
Supersonic

-

Last edited:
Years
Player: mondays suck
Type: Bug
Badges: 8
Generation: IV (Platinum)

As you can guess from above, I finished Bug now. The last time I had updated it was after I had finally beaten Cyrus. After that, things went pretty fast. I beat Volkner, passed Victory Road with ease, and beat the Elite 4. Here's a more detailled description of these battles:

SpriteDenji.png
The Jolteon took an X-Scissor from Scyther and paralyzed it, and the Raichu took a Bug Buzz from Yanmega and hit back with Charge Beam. I was already thinking that I have a problem, but Yanmega OHKOd his last 2 Pokemon.
Jun.png
Not much of a problem. Yanmega got a nice all stats boost from the Ancientpower that killed Staraptor, and then swept its way through my rival's team. Only Snorlax survived a Bug Buzz and paralyzed Yanmega with a Body Slam, but soon it died and despite my Pokemon being paralyzed, Torterra was no problem at all.
DP_Ryou.png
Another easy battle. My Flying moves OHKOd everything, except for Drapion, which did about 50 damage to Scyther with Ice Fang in its only turn.
DP_Kikuno.png
Remember that my Yanmega had Giga Drain all the time? Well, I accidentally deleted it for Air Slash and kept the coverage-wise useless Shadow Ball instead. I didn't notice it up to this point. Suddenly I realized I have a problem. Well, thank's to her stuff's low Special Defense, Yanmega could still kill a lot of stuff, but it died. In the end, it was Scyther against Hippowdon, Aerial Ace did not OHKO, but Stone Edge missed, so I could kill it. Whew.
DP_Ooba.png
3 Attempts. Because Yanmega failed to OHKO Flareon, my first one would have ended in a revive festival. I didn't want that. On my second attempt, I tried the whole thing with an X-Special, and it still didn't work. I won with exactly that strategy though, when I gave an X-Item to Scyther instead. Even Magmortar got one-hitted.
DP_Goyou.png
Probably the easiest Elite 4 battle in this entire challenge. Nothing could live a hit, except for Bronzong, which used its only turn for CM-ing. It didn't help.
DP_Shirona.png
Like Flint, 3 attempts. First, I swept her entire team with Scyther with just 1 X-Attack... Well, almost. It had been weakened by a Shadow Ball crit from Spiritomb, and when I was already sure to win, that damn Lucario showed up and used Extremespeed. I only know it's DP moveset, and that does not include that move. And then it turned out it also has Stone Edge. Second attempt (with Yanmega and defensive X-Items) got ruined by a crit, third attempt worked.

Final Team:
Spr_4p_123_m.png

Stryke / Scyther f Lv.64 @ Sky Plate
Naughty Nature / Technician
- Brick Break
- Night Slash
- X Scissor
- Aerial Ace
MVP of these two. Great sweeper, just did not really like priority moves, as seen above (in case anyone bothered to read all that text)
Spr_4p_469.png

Anisoptera / Yanmega f Lv.63 @ Insect Plate
Modest Nature / Tinted Lens
- Air Slash
- Shadow Ball
- Ancient Power
- Bug Buzz

With the two new STAB moves, things got a lot better, and Yanmega was finally equal in strength to Scyther. Scyther was a lot better overall though, since it took Yanmega so long to become finally useful.

This my most fun UMT up to now, Bug is really an awesome type.
Spr_1y_047.png
Spr_1y_049.png
Spr_2g_012.png
Spr_2g_168.png
Spr_2g_166.png
Spr_2g_205.png
Spr_2g_212.png
Spr_3r_284.png
Spr_3r_214.png
Spr_4p_123_m.png
Spr_4p_469.png

So: thanks to PizzaFungi, Mothra, Cool Eyes, Eeek!, iWin, Forry, BulletPwnc, Flash, Sheracross, Stryke, Anisoptera and all the others I used that didn't make it into the final teams for all the fun. The ones from my HGSS attempt are excluded, that game was more annoying than entertaining to me since it didn't run properly.

Years
Kanto, Part 2:

Started from Pewter City after finishing the gym.
-Battled the 3 unavoidable trainers on Route 4, Squirtle evolved during these battles.
-Bought Magikarp at the Pokemon Center
-Went back and fought all the trainers I missed with Magikarp to gain a few levels

Now, finally for a slightly interesting bit: Mt. Moon. I was going to go through and battle all the trainers, and defeat
every wild Pokemon I encountered to gain valuable EXP for Magikarp. It all went well at the start, until I somehow managed
to faint against the trainer with an Oddish and a Bellsprout. Most of Wartortle's HP was gone from the earlier battles,
and it only took one absorb from Oddish to defeat it, which left me hopeless with a Magikarp vs. 2 grass types.

Take 2: Everything goes fine, Oddish and Bellsprout are no match for Full HP Wartortle and Bite. Nothing really happened
anywhere else in the cave. Magikarp learned Tackle somewhere, I beat all the Rocker trainers, picked up a random fossil,
and Mt. Moon was done.

-Saved at Cerulean Pokemon Center.

Team so far:

Wartortle Lv.22
Magikarp Lv.16
Pidgey Lv.4 (Fly Slave, Currently in PC)

subame

I control the spice!
Years
Whoop.
A new challenge, a new type, and another trek through all 4 generations.
During the Poison run, Rock types never posed a problem..At times it was almost embarrasing...But, whatever, time to ROCK ON! (bad pun...)
-Started
-Named myself Beatles (cause they ROCK) and my rival ACDC.
-Blew through until Mt Moon
-Caught teammember #1, a Geodude named Ringo
-Grindified
-Went through Mt Moon, hardened by Rock Throw's missing and lack of PP
-Did, well, everything except beat Misty and Surge
Misty
I had to grind 'till Dig one-shot Staryu, always managing to get Water Gunned, then, I swicthed out and used Dig on Starmie...ninja'd.

-Soildered on to Rock Tunnel, encountering every misfortune imaginable
-Caught Harrison the Onix
-Grinded
Lt Surge
Bind.

-Moved along.
-Rock throw missed some more
-That didn't ROCK

Ringo Lv37

Dig
Rock Throw
Defence Curl
Self Destruct

Harrison Lv31

Bind
Rock Throw
Screech
Bind

Rock on.

BenEary

Little Rabbit
Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2010
I want to play! I'd like to use bug types, but I can't start this until next week....

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Okay, Starting Water Monotype on Sapphire, only using Mudkip :) .
i have a thing for solos :)
update, i spent forever getting past may's grovyle.
i bet every other trainer(s) with OHKO/2HKO.
wattson was funny :P . he must feel sad.
im up to the Old Lady Rest House in Route 111.
i think this will be an easy challenge :) .

pokemonsapphire.png
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9861/pokemonsapphire.png

JeTz

ジェット
Years
I will be doing Poison Monotype Challenge and my Update will be up a way.

JeTz's Poison Monotype Challenge Update 1
Player : Jetz
Game : Yellow
Challenge : Poison
Badge : 3

• Start the game named Jetz
  • Kicked Rival's Eevee
  • Delivered the Oak Parcel
  • Caught a Nidoran♂
  • Walk through Viridian Forest and reached Pewter City
  • Beat Brock with NinNin's Double Kick(Nidoran)
  • Fought two trainer when going to Cerulean and NinNin evolved!
  • Got Moon Stone and evolved NinNin to NidoKing
  • Team Rocket wanted to steal my Fossil and I thrashed them
  • Reached Cerulean and beat Rival near the Nugget Bridge
  • Thrashed down Nugget Bridge with NinNin's Thrash
  • Caught Oddish and him Viper and Venonat with the name Venom
  • Leveled Viper a little bit and save Bill
  • Win Misty easily with Viper's Absorb!
  • Viper evolved into Gloom!
  • Reached Vermilion City and went into SS.Anne
  • Thrashed Rival as always and got Cut
  • Went in fought LT.Surge. LOL one Raichu. NinNin kicked his butt
  • Found out that Venom is losing level. Level him up
  • Saved for the time being
Team

Spr_1y_034.png

NinNin / Nidoking Lv.28
- Poison Sting
- Thrash
- Horn Attack
- Mega Punch
MVP and the physical abuser of the team. I thought that Mega Punch was a fighting move but no ._. it was NORMAL ! Now that i had 3 normal type move..

Spr_1y_044.png

Viper / Gloom Lv.23
- Absorb
- Poison Powder
- Cut
- Sleep Powder
nothing to comment it helps me pwn out misty and it need a better moveset. anyone? :)

Spr_1y_048.png

Venom / Venonat Lv.21
- Tackle
- Disable
- Supersonic
- Confusion
same as gloom. better moveset anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back