• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen "Time to go to gym!"

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Unova League, gym leaders consist of Cilan, Chili, Cress, Lenora, Burgh, Clay, Skyla, Brycen, Drayden, and Iris. Later down the road in Black and White 2, few of them get replaced with Cheren, Roxie, and Marlon. Of all these people, which would you consider your most favorite and why? When battling, which leader did you have the hardest time with? What Pokémon did you have on your team when facing this particular gym leader? d:

Years
Well in my opinion skyla is the hardest gym leader.Skyla is also my favourite because i like her style.When i was facing her in black i have serperior,liepard,unfezant,panpour,archeops and siglyph.
My serperior first used growth then her swobat used acrobatics my serperior somehow survived then i used leaf tornado then i fainted by swobat then came to battle liepard but swobat strike fast with acrobatics 1 hit and liepard fainted.Then i used my power tank archeops and it used rock tomb but it missed and swobat used physic then finaly i killed it with acrobatics then came skarmory and killed archeops with steel wing.Then i send panpour and used scald then skarmory used acrobatics then i mistakely used crunch and then fainted.I then send out siglyph and killed skarmory with psybeam.Then came swanna and used water pulse siglyph confused but somehow used psybeam then fainted by acrobatics.Lastly i send unfeasant and striked fast with air cutter and then she used water pulse, critical hit and i remained with 7 h.p and taking a deep breath i used quick attack and swana fainted and i won.

Years
I think the only real hard gym for me in this game was the last Gym in Opelucid City as far as the original Black/White goes and that was because I lacked Dragon and Ice moves at the time which would have hit Drayden's Dragons super-effectively but my Gothitelle (man she was awesome) managed to take him down.

For Black 2/White 2, definitely Cheren. I had to spend a long time training a Riolu to Lv15 (it's really hard to do that early on) just so I could get Force Palm to destroy him. His Work Up strategy really can stop you cold if you're unprepared.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Believe it or not I always have a rough damn time with the triplets. Their Lilipups' Work Up + Tackle combo is deadly as all mess. Lenora isn't exactly a cakewalk, either. That entire puppy line pretty much wrecks me early on in the games, and Herdier is even harder to get around at times.

My favorite of all of the Unova Leaders is Marlon, for sure. He's so laid back, and surprisingly wise, and dat tan line tho. Plus, he uses Jellicent. <3

I remember I pretty much decimated him with my Zebstrika, and Roserade, and Eelektross, lol. He wasn't much of a challenge at all by that point in the game, but he is still my favorite. <3

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Noo how could the fabulous Elesa be left out in the OP? :C

In BW she was the hardest gym I faced. Mainly becuase of the trollish double volt switch emolga combo, which of course has to be part flying type. (lol no ground types) Took me several tries with grinded pokemon before I was able to beat her gym with super potions in hand.
Second goes to the normal gyms in both versions. Work up was a pain and without the free oran berry you were basically bound to lose.

Years
I'm partial to Skyla, but Marlon is a close second. Her character design was amazing, and her dialogue was fun to read as well. There wasn't much of a challenge in taking her out, but if that's the defining factor, I would've gone with Drayden/Iris. n__n; Marlon is a great concept too, and I love his name! The laid-back attitude and unspoken confidence that he had in the games added to his character a lot. I felt like in this generation, they spent a considerably long amount of time developing the gym leaders, because all of them were pretty special.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
For me, it'd probably have to be Cress. When I had first faced him in Black, it took me an extreme amount of effort to get him beaten. Plus, I had to do lots and lots of training, too. Leaders of first gym aren't usually very tough, but same can't be said for this guy. Since he was difficult, I suppose Cilan and Chili were similar. o: Aside from him, I've also had some hard time going up against Drayden.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I really liked Cheren, just because of the feeling you get if you've played both Gen 5 installations. It's the feeling that he's gone to a great length to get where he is now, put his all into getting a position of Gym Leader.

Unfortunately, he's also hella hard to beat. I absolutely hate his Work Up sweeping Normal types, though they can be taken care of pretty easily if you managed to snag a Riolu. Elesa, on the other hand? Ground types don't do much against her, due to those stupid Emolgas she has. You have to opt to use something else to beat those 2, which made my Sandile virtually useless due to the lack of Rock-type moves. On top of that, the constant Volt Switching got on my nerves, and made me snap. ~_~

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Lenora by design is my favorite, and she also uses my favorite Pokemon in battle so at times I don't want to even battle against her... to emotional for me. When I won I was both excited (got the gym badge!) but also very saddened (had to take down my favorite Pokemon, hope it still likes me).

Spoiler:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really like the BW2 trio (Marlon, Roxie, and Cheren). It was great to see a rival return as a Gym Leader, especially because the position was so fitting for him.

In terms of the gym itself, I really liked Drayden/Iris's gym. It was just so majestic, and fitting for dragons. <3

Years
Cheeeren. <3 My favorite gym leader period; he's too cute and kind. Huge step up from the way he was in B/W when I hardly even liked him lol.

As far as difficulty goes I had a bit of a hard time with Lenora the first time around. Take Down and Retaliate were very strong moves to have for a second gym leader so I suffered a loss going in there the first time. Luckily try #2 went down much better. ;P I just had Dewott and my Pansear to fight her with at the time.

Years
I've always had the most difficulty with Clay, even when I had Pokemon strong against his type. It was that damn Excadrill of his that got me most the time. On the plus side, he (probably) did give me Pokerus in Black! I think my best battle against him was in White, when I chose Oshawott as my starter, but the rest of the time he was a pain in the butt for me XD

As for favorite Gym Leader, I really like Chili, Iris, and Cheren all for similar reasons. I love their designs (though I prefer BW!Cheren's and BW2!Iris's appearances) and personalities. I was also happy to see Cheren as a Gym Leader since he's one of my fave rivals ;w; Gym-wise, I really like Burgh's and Clay's in BW2 because of the music and layout~

Back